• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is everyone in the Western World a breast fetishist?

ericoh2

I don't get it. I mean, boobs are soft and cuddly and all, but they aren't sexual by nature. Yet, breast fetishism has been the norm in the western world for centuries if not longer. This is the same culture that tends to frown upon other fetishes as being "abnormal."
Why is this?

And are most people born with breast fetishism, or do they pick it up from the culture they're raised in?

I get the impression that sexual fetishes are more prominent in societies that inhibit sexual desire inordinately. The stricter one's surroundings are regarding sex the more sexual desire is suppressed and expressed in an subconscious obsession of sex. I see on TV where tribes walk around with little or no clothing and no one seems to pay any attention, but in America if a naked person walks down the street everyone is obsessed with looking at them. The tribes do not teach that nudity is something negative whereas here it's still looked at negatively and children are taught there is something wrong with it.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
West is a term usually given to the Americas and Europe.

BUT ANYWAY! West refers to both America and Europe

Never heard of "Europe" being referred to as "The West". I've only heard the term applied to America. I assumed that when the OP said "West" he meant America.

Even so....whether "Europe" or various ares in "Asia"....We here in the west (America) see more boob on their TV than we do on ours. So far our public or even late night TV don't show boob. We see it on paid television (HBO, Cinemax etc.). In Europe and Asia I've seen it broadcast on public TV, late night and game shows. I particularly don't care. Then again...I'm more liberal minded I guess. But I wouldn't be so quick to say it's a western obsession or fetish per-say. I think everyone around the globe on some level has a fetish. For some it's feet, ears, butts, hair, hands, breast....Others are into smells such as the perfume or cologne the person is wearing or an article of clothing......

Man (men and women) is a freaky beast.....:flirt:

Morse

To Extinguish
You are right about that penguin, man is a freaky beast.

But when you look at man objectively, without preconceptions about your previous experience of being a man, we really do seem retarded.

We grow hair in patches?

S-word

I don't get it. I mean, boobs are soft and cuddly and all, but they aren't sexual by nature. Yet, breast fetishism has been the norm in the western world for centuries if not longer. This is the same culture that tends to frown upon other fetishes as being "abnormal."
Why is this?

And are most people born with breast fetishism, or do they pick it up from the culture they're raised in?

You generalize my friend, the vision of young ripe, round breasts may arouse most men but not the vision of all breasts; there was a man who hired a hitman to kill his wife, the hitman assured the husband that he would put a bullet under each of her breasts, to which the husband replied, "I want her killed, not kneecapped."

I'm sure that the vision of such breasts as those would excite no man.

Humanistheart

Why is this?

I would not say everyone here is. In fact I'd say there are many less people who are breast fetishists than those who don't have that inclination. But I do agree that the western world does tend to look down on other sexual kink's. The uUS was founded by prudes, what can we say?

Draka

Wonder Woman
There's breast men, butt men, and leg men. We've forgotten leg men here. I know there are some out there. I had men that would far more oogle my legs than my breasts and I'm a D-cup.

S-word

There's breast men, butt men, and leg men. We've forgotten leg men here. I know there are some out there. I had men that would far more oogle my legs than my breasts and I'm a D-cup.

I knew a woman whose legs were so skinny she was arrested for having no visible means of support.

Morse

To Extinguish
This may seem a bit off, but I'm actually a voice kind of guy. A prime example of this is the girl I'm currently umm, "into", I first started "crushing" on her when I heard her speak. Since then its also expanded to her personality, the way she dresses, the way she looks. But it all started with her voice, and I still get shivers when I hear it.

And now that I think about it, most of my friends have voices that I find not too unpleasurable.

So I think that your preferences have SOME correlation to the way you learn, every person has preferred learning styles. For example, I am a heavily audiographic learner, and I forget almost nothing that I hear. Consequence that I also find voices attractive/unattractive? I mean, everybody has voices they like, but probably not so radically as this.

Which would mean that people who are attracted to breasts/boobs would more likely be textile learners (I believe thats people who learn with their hands, or by manipulation of objects, etc..). Which I think also corresponds to the ratios I've seen (I.E - Most people are textile learners).

Idunno, just speculation.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, this has all been focussed on men. I'll say that as a woman attracted to men, the characteristic that always makes my knees weak is a really nice smile. I've been around guys who I didn't think were very good looking and suddenly they wip out this amazing smile and totally taken in.

MissAlice

I never really understood the fetishes for body parts, must be a guy thing..

As a female it takes more than just body parts for me to be attracted to a guy. But if I had to focuse on one feature I guess it would be his eyes.

Anyway, I don't think boobs are just a western notion, if you look at the india sculputures particularly the females depicted in the kama sutra, the bust and boobs look a bit exaggerated....:sarcastic

Erebus

Eyes, necks, stomach and the curve of the back. Breasts don't even enter into the equation for me.
What's considered attractive changes through the eras, at the minute the main focus for most men is the breasts. People are funny like that.