• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is booze called spirits ?

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
I've not only heard alcohol referred to as spirits, but have used the term myself.

In the early days of wine making, ale brewing and more harder alcohol distillation, did humans assoicate spirits with this craft ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lookee here what I dun found....
Online Etymology Dictionary
Plural form spirits "volatile substance" is an alchemical idea, first attested 1610; sense narrowed to "strong alcoholic liquor" by 1670s. This also is the sense in spirit level (1768).

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Online Etymology Dictionary
Plural form spirits "volatile substance" is an alchemical idea, first attested 1610; sense narrowed to "strong alcoholic liquor" by 1670s. This also is the sense in spirit level (1768).

Well thank y'all very kindly.

Guess I was thinking of the sauce in a primitive way. So we all know why booze is called spirits, but I wonder in the ancient days, what deities or spirits were associated with the making of beer, wine or something a little stronger ?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I always assumed alcohol was the 'spirit' of the stuff fermented, and distillation concentrated these spirits.

Similar to 'essence' in essential oils.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
As a home beer brewer, I did a lot of research in my early days of brewing.

One interesting note is the word "yeast". Yeast is from the Old English/Dutch/German (Saxon) word 'gist' or 'gyst'. Meaning 'visitor', and sometimes 'unseen visitor'. We also get the words ghost and gas from 'gyst'.

The first beer and wine makers had no idea that the micro-organism yeast was the cause of fermentation and attributed the fermentation to ghosts and spirits rather than the wild yeast in the air that usually caused the desired results.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well thank y'all very kindly.

Guess I was thinking of the sauce in a primitive way. So we all know why booze is called spirits, but I wonder in the ancient days, what deities or spirits were associated with the making of beer, wine or something a little stronger ?

i think it was drugs that were associated with spiritism.

drugs are used to open the mind and see visions etc...often shaman and witch doctors and tribes people used drugs during religious ceremonies

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I thought it was because when you were filled with it you spoke in tongues and could dance better?

:confused

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
As a home beer brewer, I did a lot of research in my early days of brewing.

One interesting note is the word "yeast". Yeast is from the Old English/Dutch/German (Saxon) word 'gist' or 'gyst'. Meaning 'visitor', and sometimes 'unseen visitor'. We also get the words ghost and gas from 'gyst'.

The first beer and wine makers had no idea that the micro-organism yeast was the cause of fermentation and attributed the fermentation to ghosts and spirits rather than the wild yeast in the air that usually caused the desired results.

This has me thinking of the old Irish miracle story of Saint Bridget's Bread.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
LOL! :D perhaps

Spirits seem to make people less inhibited of touching others......

Murdoch1232

I always figured that it was called that because it put you in "high spirits" if you had just the right amount.