• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I no longer believe in a creation, "at all"

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I no longer believe in a creation because the more I examine the dogma, the less it makes sense. It doesn't make sense that this world was made just for me to do what I want with it and treat it's other creatures as I please, unless I was a totally selfish person.

In light of recent scientific discoveries, it doesn't make sense that things can just magically be conjured out of no where. Everything that we see and observe got here through a process, and that process isn't organized enough to suggest creation.

Finally, as I do not believe in all-powerful gods anyway, I do not need to believe they created anything. Yes the ancients believed they did, but I don't have to believe they were right.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Proud 2B Gay said:
In light of recent scientific discoveries, it doesn't make sense that things can just magically be conjured out of no where.

About this part: Something had to spontaneously appear out of nothingness. Odd, right?

Rainbow Mage

About this part: Something had to spontaneously appear out of nothingness. Odd, right?

Yes true enough, but that's not to say god created things just because god might have caused that particular part to happen. I believe god caused that. That says nothing about how the stars, planets, etc. got here.

The ancient Egyptians believed the netjer (gods) were born at this time, when the universe came to be out of the primordial chaos (Nu). Modern science simply calls it the Big Bang. That says nothing about the creation of anything.

Well, the Big Bang generally presupposes that something *was* indeed created out of nothing, so if we were to go along with the latest scientific theory that a) something was created out of nothing, and b) atoms are eternally manifest and indivisible, we have somewhat of a disparity between the two concepts. We are also left out with a Cause to bring the reaction of the Big Bang into effect.

I lean more towards Hindu thinking that the who material cosmic manifestation is eternally created, maintained, destroyed, and recreated again and again. Since there is an indivisible unity which is the building block of all that exists, it is merely transformed as time goes by. Thus, the idea that the Divinity(ies) created this manifestation only once and only for us seems to limit the Divine potential.

Rather, I see Nature, or Prakrti, as the material manifestation of the Divine emanation, just as how the sun's rays are a natural cause of the sun itself, or how wetness of water is a non-changeable element and attribute of water.

There can be also a differentiation between the efficient cause, and the material cause. Some may believe, such as in Deism, that God was indeed the efficient Cause of all things... but the material cause is from the workings of the laws of the universe.

Mike214

Well, the Big Bang generally presupposes that something *was* indeed created out of nothing, so if we were to go along with the latest scientific theory that a) something was created out of nothing, and b) atoms are eternally manifest and indivisible, we have somewhat of a disparity between the two concepts. We are also left out with a Cause to bring the reaction of the Big Bang into effect.

I lean more towards Hindu thinking that the who material cosmic manifestation is eternally created, maintained, destroyed, and recreated again and again. Since there is an indivisible unity which is the building block of all that exists, it is merely transformed as time goes by. Thus, the idea that the Divinity(ies) created this manifestation only once and only for us seems to limit the Divine potential.

Rather, I see Nature, or Prakrti, as the material manifestation of the Divine emanation, just as how the sun's rays are a natural cause of the sun itself, or how wetness of water is a non-changeable element and attribute of water.

There can be also a differentiation between the efficient cause, and the material cause. Some may believe, such as in Deism, that God was indeed the efficient Cause of all things... but the material cause is from the workings of the laws of the universe.
Then what is the purpose of life? Where are we going? Are we just a bunch of cells passing through time?

ellenjanuary

I no longer believe in a creation because the more I examine the dogma, the less it makes sense. It doesn't make sense that this world was made just for me to do what I want with it and treat it's other creatures as I please, unless I was a totally selfish person.

In light of recent scientific discoveries, it doesn't make sense that things can just magically be conjured out of no where. Everything that we see and observe got here through a process, and that process isn't organized enough to suggest creation.

Finally, as I do not believe in all-powerful gods anyway, I do not need to believe they created anything. Yes the ancients believed they did, but I don't have to believe they were right.

Thank you. Seeing this thread, it's like a gift; after being stuck on stupid last coupla days. :D

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
That is a very narrow view of creation. Many people who subscribe to the idea of creationism do not subscribe to this particular idea.
Again, this is more of a narrow view of creationism. Simply, we don't know how everything first came to being. We can explain to a point how the Earth was formed, and how life came to be on this planet. However, we don't know exactly how the building blocks of life came to this planet.
That is basically your best reason. And I think you should have stressed that.

Then what is the purpose of life? Where are we going? Are we just a bunch of cells passing through time?

The purpose of life? Now that is subjective.

In my own personal spirituality, the purpose of life is to carry forward an ever-advancing civilisation, and to progress the self spiritually through the virtues revealed by God's Personality. While material creation is limitlessly eternal, our souls are a different thing.

Yes, I believe in the soul.:)

The soul, when it passes from this world, goes on to the spiritual worlds of God,eternally progressing spiritually towards God's eternal light, until it reaches the abode of God Emself.

After all, everything is moving and progressing; atoms are dancing and moving eternally; things are evolving and advancing continually, from the smallest of an atom to the greatest of stars.

"Thy confirmations... alone can change a gnat into an eagle, a drop of water into rivers and seas, and an atom into lights and suns."

-- 'Abdu'l-Baha

Rainbow Mage

In my view we don't need a purpose for existing, unless we make one. I should also mention when I say I don't believe in a creation I mean the physical world. I also believe in a spirit world, and we do have a purpose there, and our souls came from somewhere. This life could be part of our spiritual evolution. It doesn't need a purpose though. This life is- we don't remember where we've come from, and we don't know where we're going.