• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I like programming...

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
When you begin a new project or transition, you have to start with “why”. This will define your outlook, how you approach your new found time sink. Your “why” will destroy or promote you. It is important. Here is mine.

I have always dabbled in programming a bit. From designing a website or two to making a few java methods. This led me to begin a career change into a developer role. The last few weeks I have been thinking about my “why”. I have been drawn to this sort of thinking and development for awhile now, but why? To summarize it in one sentence: I get to solve problems with logical, data driven solutions.

When you write code, there are not assumptions. There simply is. True or false, numbers are defined, objects are created and destroyed; etc. You cannot reason with blocks of code, they do what they are told and that is it. There is no “alternative facts”, no “fake news”. The reality of your program is what it is until you make a logical statement to change it. Period.

This is a welcomed change to current discussions, don’t you think? I am exhausted trying to reason with unreasonable assumptions. I am exhausted trying to circumvent fallacies and statements that simply aren’t true. People trying to be “right” and talk louder and louder to make sure they are heard. None of that exists when a discussion involves programming. Your statement works or it doesn’t.

There is no middle ground.

There is no compromise. Only logic and assertions. That’s it.

What is why I like programming.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
A bit of my type of humor: I suppose it's why theists enjoy programming their children into thinking the same as them. ;)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
When you begin a new project or transition, you have to start with “why”. This will define your outlook, how you approach your new found time sink. Your “why” will destroy or promote you. It is important. Here is mine.

I have always dabbled in programming a bit. From designing a website or two to making a few java methods. This led me to begin a career change into a developer role. The last few weeks I have been thinking about my “why”. I have been drawn to this sort of thinking and development for awhile now, but why? To summarize it in one sentence: I get to solve problems with logical, data driven solutions.

When you write code, there are not assumptions. There simply is. True or false, numbers are defined, objects are created and destroyed; etc. You cannot reason with blocks of code, they do what they are told and that is it. There is no “alternative facts”, no “fake news”. The reality of your program is what it is until you make a logical statement to change it. Period.

This is a welcomed change to current discussions, don’t you think? I am exhausted trying to reason with unreasonable assumptions. I am exhausted trying to circumvent fallacies and statements that simply aren’t true. People trying to be “right” and talk louder and louder to make sure they are heard. None of that exists when a discussion involves programming. Your statement works or it doesn’t.

Sometimes I don't understand programming. I mean, why did they cancel "Revolution", or why was there not another season of "Breaking Bad"? Also, why make us wait so long for the return of "The Walking Dead" or "Shameless"? Above my pay grade, I guess.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Sometimes I don't understand programming. I mean, why did they cancel "Revolution", or why was there not another season of "Breaking Bad"? Also, why make us wait so long for the return of "The Walking Dead" or "Shameless"? Above my pay grade, I guess.
Excellent questions!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was a programmer working with programmers who had endless arguments about style. Many of us, myself included, were certain that our preferred style was the "one true best" way".

You might be able to avoid such arguments assuming they still happen, but programming in a group can lead to just the thing you're trying to avoid.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

You might look into mathematics. We have set axioms that almost everyone uses. Then we *prove* things from those axioms. No alternative facts or fake news. Just provable statements.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I like creating something that'll make life easier for folks. I like programs that will save people time. Probably why I was drawn to database programming.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Know how to tell if the programmer talking to you is an extrovert?
He's looking at your shoes instead of his own.

suncowiam

I like programming because it pays well and I get to work in a corner.

Been one for 20 years.

Concerning the logic part, if you work closer to hardware then there are bugs and timing issues that will force stupid work arounds from SW because HW can't be respun.

suncowiam

I was a programmer working with programmers who had endless arguments about style. Many of us, myself included, were certain that our preferred style was the "one true best" way".

You might be able to avoid such arguments assuming they still happen, but programming in a group can lead to just the thing you're trying to avoid.

Programming in a group is the business norm. The scope of today's SW is too huge for one engineer to possibly finish and maintain.

I'm not talking about websites or simple applications. Much of the innovation and businesses are based on large scalable software. For example, I work in company of thousands of SW/HW engineers all working on the same code base. This isn't even comparable to other pure SW companies like Google or Microsoft.

Given such a large scale, such "minor" things as style actually becomes a foundation to good SW readability and maintenance. There will be new engineers because of turn over. They will have to come in and easily transition where others have left off. This can easily be accomplished not through speaking one language but also through one style...