• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why i am proud to be an atheist

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
did i say or mention the soul in my question,
actualy there is no relation between the soul and my question,no relation absolutely

Then, I have no idea whatsoever what you were getting at with a question about sexual attraction.

How about you stop playing a question-answer game and simply lay out what you think the soul is and where it comes from.

If you honestly expect atheists to respond to what you've presented so far with ::::forehead slap:::: "Holy Guacamole! You're absolutely right! How could I have failed to see the complete truth of what you say?", you're very much mistaken.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Then, I have no idea whatsoever what you were getting at with a question about sexual attraction.

How about you stop playing a question-answer game and simply lay out what you think the soul is and where it comes from.

If you honestly expect atheists to respond to what you've presented so far with ::::forehead slap:::: "Holy Guacamole! You're absolutely right! How could I have failed to see the complete truth of what you say?", you're very much mistaken.

You are again wrong,that you think that i am explaining that soul do exist so that
atheism is false,that was not my purpose,even if you understand that you have
a soul,then still you can be an atheist,no relation between your faith and soul.
even some they say we believe on god but we hate him,so that is nonsense
that if we understand the soul,then the athiest will be a believer,of course not

i said to you that if explaining the soul will bother you then let me not to proceed,
and i can see that you are really bothered and i will stop at this point,thanks :)

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
No, I am not "bothered." I simply can't figure out what your point is.

You haven't explained anything about the soul and what it has to do with atheism. That's a good deal of my problem understanding what you're getting at.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No comments on Post #19?

*sniffle*
:foryou:

No comments,but i believe that we have both physical body and soul,and the soul is the decision maker or the driver for our bodies.

i am not talking about religion here,just thoughts :)

is-tr80a840c4a4.gif

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No comments,but i believe that we have both physical body and soul,and the soul is the decision maker or the driver for our bodies.

i am not talking about religion here,just thoughts :)
I agree to an extent, but I feel that this description is not applicable. The local "self", is autonomous within this system. That does not mean that it cannot gain "advice" from its larger identity, which exists outside of time, as we know it. In that sense, the "soul" is not a driver, but merely an adviser. We are certainly not compelled to take its advice even if that advice is somewhat compelling. :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't see anything to be proud about. It's like saying "I'm proud a proud blue eyed folk!" or "I'm a proud mustache-holder!"

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?
-It wasn't a choice. It was a result.

-I identify myself as an atheist in the same way I identify myself as a non-Canadian. (In other words, it is indeed what I am, but it makes little sense for that to be the primary label, since it's a description of one particular thing I'm not- a theist.)

• Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
I don't see any convincing reason or need to believe in afterlives. That's rather separate from atheism, though.

• What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
Why would I feel sorrow, anxiety, or fear? That's also rather separate from atheism, though.

• Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
I read the Hebrew Bible, New Testatment, Qur'an, Bhagavad Gita, 10 or so Upanishads, the Tao Te Ching, studied aspects of Buddhism, read several new-age books or essays, and read works from Greek and Roman philosophers.

The assumption that atheism implies a lack of religious investigation is unsuitable. I find the various philosophies (religious or otherwise), that people come up with, to be interesting. Some more than others.

• if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
I don't see how choice is involved here.

In an attempt to answer what I think you're asking, I tend to be more interested in things like Buddhism, Vedanta, Transcendentalism or Stoicism than some of the other religions.

• What are the benefits from atheism on earth
Probably somewhere along the lines of the benefits of being a non-Canadian. (Not particularly relevant, in other words.)

Something like Humanism is another matter entirely, though.

• Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.
-
Gods and afterlives are completely separate things in my view. Why would selection of a god affect an afterlife at all?

My level of certainty in any given thing depends on what specific definition I'm given.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
[*]Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?

It's not about choice, it's about what I honestly believe to be true.

[*]Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?

If by limited, you mean scientifically, and that when I die, I end, then yes. That is what I believe. That is not what all people tagged as atheists believe.

[*]What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.

Hey, so I have an idea. I could profess belief in a God I don't believe in. Pretty sure I'll be able to trick him that my belief is genuine, and I'll sneak into Heaven...or Paradise...or...
Strange how often this type of question comes up. I am atheist because I believe there is no God. It makes no difference whether I want there to be a God or not, or whether (in my case) I want there to be an afterlife. So if my body died, and I found myself still alive in some manner, my first response would probably be a disbelieved expression and a curse word. Then I'll try to work out which one of the myriad religions got it right...if any. Then I'll hope whoever is in charge is happy enough to judge me by my actions, and not my lack of belief/worship.

[*]Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.

Nope. That doesn't sound like any atheist I ever met. I have considered, studied and thought about religion more than most people I know personally (which is not a massive call, actually).

[*]if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.

How do you choose religion? Isn't it a matter of working out what you believe is true?

[*]What are the benefits from atheism on earth

It's not atheism per se that provides me with any benefits, but the same thought processes and internal honesty that has led me to atheism serves me well in life.

[*]Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.

Weird. So if I choose <insert religion here> and follow it's tenets, I'll get into heaven even though I don't believe in it's God? Yew...that God needs to take a good hard look at himself.

MaxPayne

Brain User
[*]Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?
Atheism = Unlimited Imagination
[*]Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
Yes, But thanks to science we have outlived our neanderthal cousins. I see it as "passing on the baton", I live for the world just like you.
[*]What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
:p I will come and haunt you.
[*]Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
:no: Never had such a thought.
[*]if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
Hinduism, Buddhism and any thing that sounds more like 'philosophy' than random orders. I give the edge to Buddhism here.
[*]What are the benefits from atheism on earth
People will stop exploding. It will stop good people from doing bad things. (Can't stop bad people from doing bad things although)
Neighboring countries(non communist) will stop fighting over land. Possibility of a world government and re distribution of world resources.
[*]Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.
Actually, we will never prove it. Big bang is just another frontier! There is more beyond that! So much more to explore and understand.:beach:
If there is a god then it is very much possible that "another god who is the god of the god that created us" also exist? And why stop there, we can assume that there are infinite number of such higher dimension beings. But again we will come to the same point..who created this hierarchy?God?
There is no reason to believe that there is only one god.There could be infinitely many!

Last edited:

The Neo Nerd

Why do you think atheism is your best choice?

Because it is the most intellectually honest position on the matter.

Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?

No, I do not think my life is limited. I don't believe in an afterlife because there is no credible evidence to support one.

What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.

Probably. That being said, pascals wager fails on a number of different levels.

Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.

Yes. I've always found religions interesting. Plenty of wikipedia pages on heaps of different religions.

if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.

I have a bit of a fascination with the ancient greco/romans. I like how they anthropomorphise their gods.

What are the benefits from atheism on earth.

Less death and violence. I will admit that humanity would lose a valuable tool for social cohesion though.

Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.

Depends on whether you are asking whether i 100% believe or 100% think.

Believe - 100% No
Think - 99% No

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Is it even a choice when it comes down to forcing myself through a pointless and doubtful belief (for reasons no one seems to agree on, to boot) or just being who I am?

Pretty much, although I do think the legacy of people from previous and current generations towards current and future ones is in fact better and more significant than a so-called "true" afterlife would be.

• What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.

I guess I just can't believe that at all. It makes no sense whatsoever to me, even as an hypothetical.

• Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.

No, of course not. I don't think even many theists do that, at least purposefully.

I favor the Dharmic ones. I think I always did and always will.

Pragmatism, realism, refusal to waste intellectual and moral resouces.

• Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.

Yes, I am.

As for an afterlife, it is just too odd a concept. But even assuming that there is one, why would I worry about it? No reason whatsoever.

You tell me. Why would anyone worry about an afterlife?

Norrin-6-

Atheism is rather inconsequential, despite the importance some theists might attach to it. If it were a choice, it would be far from my best choice. But as others have said, my non-belief wasn't really a choice. I think it's just something that emerged within me.

I have no reason to believe in an afterlife. It could be that I view the world all wrong and there is something after this, but I go on the assumption that this could be all that there is.

This hypothetical doesn't appeal to me. I don't know why I would realize that this was all a test, that is assumed by you. It's also assuming that I've FAILED the test. I have confidence that I haven't earned such a fate.

I'm always looking at religion, even now. I guess that answers that.

I'm most interested in the Abrahamic religions, but that doesn't mean I would accept everything that any of them have to offer. If I did join one, I'd certainly have some autonomy in having my own twist on it.

It adds another position on religion. The fact that non-belief can exist in society is in itself a good thing. I think people should be free in their thoughts. There isn't really a whole lot that religion offers that can't be offered without religion. So I mean atheists can do just as many good things as theists.

No, I'm not 100%. I'm still happy with myself whether I'm an atheist or a theist, or anything else. I don't have worries about the afterlife. I think if there is an afterlife, I don't carry that baggage of believing in hell (at the very least not the way it is defined in popular parlance). So I don't fear an afterlife.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?I wouldnt say that I chose it, or that it chose me. It just happened to be the conclusion that I came to based on logic.

Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
I think that it is possible that something may happen when the body dies, but I wouldnt have a clue.

What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
I will feel satisfied that I took the actions I did in regards to be understanding of existence and having lived a full life on earth.

Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
No I have no intention of looking for a religion. I have done all the searching and researching that I could and can. I am satisfied with the conclusion I reached.

if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
I would probably go with something beautiful like paganism or enriching like buddhism.

What are the benefits from atheism on earth
Thought, logic, embracing science

Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.
As sure as one could be. I will not live in fear either.