• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why i am proud to be an atheist

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
  • Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?
  • Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
  • What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
  • Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
  • if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
  • What are the benefits from atheism on earth
  • Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.
-

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
  • What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
  • Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
  • Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.
-
1. Because I see no evidence of gods.
2. Not atheism. Moving on.
3. Sounds neat, but also not atheism. Moving on.
4. I have no idea what you are trying to say, but atheistic and nontheistic religions exist. Moving on.
5. Buddhism
6. Iunno. We throw fun "Hail Satan" parties with the most delectable aborted fetus appetizers.
7. A belief in gods has no direct connection to a belief in an afterlife, but I am only 100% certain that certain gods don't exist. As for the rest, I am 100% certain there is no evidence for their existence, and that's good enough for me.

cablescavenger

• It started out as just seeing religion as a story and then grew into something more beautiful the more I learned about life. I now see it as the only credible explanation. It relies on brutal truth and serves to offer no comfort in the way of fantasy. Everything we know about the world supports the atheist view.
    • I will die at a non pre determined age, and will either be returned to earth and become part of the food chain, or be burnt and become part of the planet. I am undecided which I would prefer.
    • That may be your fear. It isn't mine. I am not afraid of death since it just reminds me how fortunate I am to have witnessed this life in the first place. Spirit breaks the second law of thermodynamics and relies on superstition and or religion, so I am confident that won't happen.
    • I have never said it, nor will I.
    • None. I would consider turning to religion a waste of the rest of my life when I have spent the first part nurturing my curiosity and learning.
    • You get to appreciate the earth and everything in/on /above/surrounding the earth.
    • I stand in awe of everything from an atom to a galaxy.
    • I am thankful that I arrived after the development of scientific endeavour and while it was still in infancy, so that we weren't supplied with all the answers and we could ponder them for ourselves.
    • I am sure. I feel more secure knowing that my life is finite than I would with an everlasting life, some kind of Nirvana and a God. I would be extremely disappointed if there was an afterlife, but as previously mentioned spirit defies the second law of thermo dynamics, so I am sure that isn't going to happen either.

HonestJoe

Atheism isn't a choice. No belief is. We couldn't just decide "Today I'm going to believe there are fairies at the bottom of my garden!". We can, to an extent, control the information we receive but ultimately our brain will do what it will with that information and there is little we can consciously do to change that.

I don't believe in the existence of an afterlife, because I've not seen anything like sufficient evidence to suggest such a thing exists.

I've no idea what I'd feel if I died and discovered an afterlife - I don't even know if I'd be able to "feel" anything at all.

I've no interest in following any religion and I don't think believing in a god or afterlife would necessarily change that. I consider faith and religion to be quite distinct things. Never say never though.

I'm not sure there are any significant benefits from atheism in itself. It could even be considered disadvantageous, given the scope of discrimination against people who don't follow the accepted religions in some places.

I'm not 100% sure of anything (we could really all be in the Matrix). All we do in life in based on balance of probabilities rather than definitive facts. We generally ignore this because if we dwelled on it we'd probably go insane.

You shouldn't be surprised to learn that in contrast to your thread title, "pride" is not a relevant term for atheism in my opinion.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
    • It started out as just seeing religion as a story and then grew into something more beautiful the more I learned about life. I now see it as the only credible explanation. It relies on brutal truth and serves to offer no comfort in the way of fantasy. Everything we know about the world supports the atheist view.
    • I will die at a non pre determined age, and will either be returned to earth and become part of the food chain, or be burnt and become part of the planet. I am undecided which I would prefer.
    • That may be your fear. It isn't mine. I am not afraid of death since it just reminds me how fortunate I am to have witnessed this life in the first place. Spirit breaks the second law of thermodynamics and relies on superstition and or religion, so I am confident that won't happen.
    • I have never said it, nor will I.
    • None. I would consider turning to religion a waste of the rest of my life when I have spent the first part nurturing my curiosity and learning.
    • You get to appreciate the earth and everything in/on /above/surrounding the earth.
    • I stand in awe of everything from an atom to a galaxy.
    • I am thankful that I arrived after the development of scientific endeavour and while it was still in infancy, so that we weren't supplied with all the answers and we could ponder them for ourselves.
    • I am sure. I feel more secure knowing that my life is finite than I would with an everlasting life, some kind of Nirvana and a God. I would be extremely disappointed if there was an afterlife, but as previously mentioned spirit defies the second law of thermo dynamics, so I am sure that isn't going to happen either.

i understand that you dont believe that you have your own "soul",so what is the definition of life according to your understanding without a soul.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
-

1. I have not come across any evidence in favor of a higher power.
2. Limited in what way? I don't believe in an after-life. However, this has nothing to do with atheism.
3. Why only these three choices? It tells me that you think atheists are miserable somehow or afraid of your gods. To answer the question, I cannot say, but I suspect it would be one of intense reconsideration of my position and excitement.
4. Buddhism
5. None. Although it does create a lot of free time for other work :)
6. I am not 100% sure there is no god. I am a 6 on Dawkins scale.

HonestJoe

i understand that you dont believe that you have your own "soul",so what is the definition of life according to your understanding without a soul.
You really need to define "soul" before anyone can determine how (if at all) it impacts the definition(s) of "life".

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You really need to define "soul" before anyone can determine how (if at all) it impacts the definition(s) of "life".

right,but we have first to agree if life is just our materialistic body or both materialistic and spiritual,
as religions are concerned with the soul.

So do you believe that you have a soul beside your materialistic body and if yes then
where do you think this soul came from to combine with your materialistic body.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
[*]Why do you think atheism is your best choice ? Most likely.
[*]Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife? Yes.
[*]What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear. I'd accept whatever happened, no chance in changing an omniscient, omnipotent creature's mind.
[*]Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now. It's possible, I am open minded, but extremely doubt it, because I'm far behind skepitcal, even compared to the faith-based Existentialism.
[*]if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose. Shamanism definitely, I'm already getting into it through the Chaos Magick.
[*]What are the benefits from atheism on earth Nothing really, nothing in philosophy actually benefits society unless it's epistemology.
[*]Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.

Not really, I'm just 100% sure that the idea of a personal God is much more absurd than Russel's Teapot.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

[*]Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?
Most likely.

[*]Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
Yes.

[*]What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
I'd accept whatever happened, no chance in changing an omniscient, omnipotent creature's mind.

[*]Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
It's possible, I am open minded, but extremely doubt it, because I'm far behind skepitcal, even compared to the faith-based Existentialism.

[*]if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
Shamanism definitely, I'm already getting into it through the Chaos Magick.

[*]What are the benefits from atheism on earth
Nothing really, nothing in philosophy actually benefits society unless it's epistemology.

[*]Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.

Not really, I'm just 100% sure that the idea of a personal God is much more absurd than Russel's Teapot.

Shamanism do believe on spirits and afterlife,but i guess you dont believe on such stories.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?
Because it is the one most likely to be true, and therfore more conductive to reality.

Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
Yes.

What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
I'd feel surprised first. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
Why would I say that? I would only turn to religion if the facts turned in that direction, otherwise it would just be out of fear.

if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
Buddhism, I guess.

What are the benefits from atheism on earth
The lack of the notion of moral imperatives allows humans a more flexible morality which is then able to change over time to best benefit the people of earth. Retaining a strict moral or ethical code that is unable to be altered by time is a terrible legacy to leave future generations, whose understanding of human suffering and of each other will most likely be greater than our own. We owe it to ourself and, especially, future generations, to advocate a godless (or, at least, secular) morality that does not arbitrarily designates absolutes or dictate the actions of people who do not hurt, harm or affect other people in any negative way, and a morality which is based on the common good of all mankind, not the adherance to an arbitrary rulebook to a supernatural agency backed by the fear of an enernal afterlife rather than the real, human consequences of wrongdoing.

Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.
-
I'm not 100% sure about anything, but I am nearing positive certainty.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
-

1) It fits best with my beliefs and the evidence I see before me.
2) I don't believe in an afterlife
3) Not a clue. I'd just hope that any judge is smart enough to know that I did the best I could with my limited knowledge
4) Not sure I understand the question :confused:
5) Shinto buddhism or taoism
6) Freedom to believe what you want about whatever you want. Whereas religion usually forces you to believe certain things.
7) I'm not 100% sure of most things. I choose atheism for the reason in 1. and I'm quite happy to choose atheism. Also.....

[youtube]iClejS8vWjo[/youtube]
...And What If I'm Wrong? - YouTube

HonestJoe

right,but we have first to agree if life is just our materialistic body or both materialistic and spiritual, as religions are concerned with the soul.
You've got the same definition issue with "spiritual" too. The problem is that these terms are used by lots of different individuals/religions/faiths to describe vastly different concepts or interpretations.

So do you believe that you have a soul beside your materialistic body
By common definitions of "soul" , no I don't.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You've got the same definition issue with "spiritual" too. The problem is that these terms are used by lots of different individuals/religions/faiths to describe vastly different concepts or interpretations.

By common definitions of "soul" , no I don't.

May i ask you one question to go for the next one.
Do an atom of iron differ from another atom of iron,or they are similar.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Not really my field and I suspect it depends who deeply you look but in simply terms, I'd say similar (maybe even identical).

Yes of course they are similar and identical.

The next question.
Do i differ from you?
We are all having the same material,same body functions,brain,lung,stomach..etc.
So what makes me different than you,knowing that our bodies working the same.

HonestJoe

So what makes me different than you, knowing that our bodies working the same.
In countless little ways, in the way in which the individual similar or even identical parts are structured differently.

You can take identical pairs of straight lines yet have them form very different structures; + X L T V (and those are just the ones on my keyboard). Coal and diamond are made from exactly the same element, just structured differently.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
First off, I'm not "proud" to be an atheist. I'm simply another human animal muddling their way through a complex world... just like a Theist who pretends to know so much more. In that respect, "pride" has nothing to do with it.

Why do you think atheism is your best choice ?
My position is an extension of the rule, "To thine own self, be true". I have had many amazing experiences in this short life and could easily attribute those experience to "god", however, not being an expert on "god", I'm in no position to claim that my experience were really "of god" or not. I'm not so arrogant as to allow myself to boldly claim that what I see IS god. I don't really know what "it" is. The thing is, due to my ongoing inner experiences, I have a high level of certainty that others don't really know either.

Do you think that your life is limited and there is no afterlife?
I do not believe in an "afterlife" as it is generally conceived, No. I do not believe in "death" per se, either. I see life as changes.

What if your body died and you found out that you are still alive as spirit and you realize that your test on earth have been finished,will you feel sorrow,anxious and fear.
Been there, done that, minus the test thingy. Actually the feeling was one of triumphant exhalation. Sorrow, anxiety and fear never entered my mind. Go figure. This life isn't a test, rather, it is a bit of a "what if" experiment. (Don't worry, you will understand what I mean one day.)

Do you always say that you still have time that you may look after religion when you are old but not now.
Given that I am already 56, there is virtually no possibility that I would ever take any religion of the human animal seriously enough to consider adopting it. I've already made the rounds, more so than most, and I always found them wanting. "They all have their crumbs, but their loaves have long since turned to dust." Personally, I prefer my reality, plain and unvarnished. It's so much more entertaining not know, for sure, what lay around the next corner.

if you want to think about a religion,which one you think you may choose.
I would never seriously consider ANY religion. I can tell you, quite plainly, and with great honesty, that Islam would be my very last choice, however.

What are the benefits from atheism on earth
Atheism allow the individual the freedom to see reality how it is; by not pretending how reality SHOULD BE. I don't see a downside to this, though some fragile ego's may get a bit roughed up over the thought.

Are you sure 100% that there is no god,which makes you happy to choose atheism without any worries for what will be afterlife.-
Of course not. You see, if indeed Allah created me, and he is really All Wise, All merciful, etc, ad nauseam, I rather expect he would understand me fairly well. In theory, he would know precisely why I chose what I did and just smile and welcome me. I have no unnatural guilt on this subject. Sorry to burst the bubble.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
In countless little ways, in the way in which the individual similar or even identical parts are structured differently.

You can take identical pairs of straight lines yet have them form very different structures; + X L T V (and those are just the ones on my keyboard). Coal and diamond are made from exactly the same element, just structured differently.

i will try to let you know your soul by chatting,questions & answers.

if you have a cup of tea with one spoon of sugar,you can drink it,because it taste normal,but if i give you the same cup of tea with 10 spoons of sugar.
will you drink it,your brain show you how it taste,but who is to give the decision as not to drink, you or your brain.