• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have Christians forgotten the fourth Commandment?

Are all Ten commandments binding?

• Total voters

may

Christians are not under the law covenant, because Christ fulfilled that law when he died upon the torture stake. "For Christ is the end of the Law." (Rom. 10:4) There is no justification in the Scriptures for separating the Ten Commandments from the rest of the law covenant and claiming that it was not brought to an end by Jesus but is binding upon Christians.
The apostle Paul wrote at great length about the law covenant and how it was brought to an end, but not one word was said about the Ten Commandments as being a separate moral law that is eternally binding and the rest of the Law being a ceremonial law that ended.​
At Romans 7:6 he speaks about Christians being "discharged from the Law," and in the next verse he refers to the tenth commandment without giving any indication that he considered it to be a separate law. Then in the thirteenth chapter of Romans he mentions several commandments in the Decalogue and points out that they are all fulfilled by the new commandment that Jesus gave to "love one another."—Rom. 13:9, 10; John 13:34; Matt. 22:39, 40.
It might also be noted that in the sermon on the mount Jesus quotes from the Ten Commandments as well as the rest of the Law without making any distinction between them.—Matt. 5:21-44.​
The fact that Jesus kept the sabbath does not mean he set the example for Christians to keep it. It was necessary for him to observe it because he was born under the law covenant, and until he fulfilled it by his sacrificial death he was obliged to keep all the Law. If Christians should keep the sabbath because he did, then they must also keep the entire Law as he did, and we know from the Scriptures that this is not required of Christians.

Booko

Deviled Hen
there is no way you could keep the law! thats why Jesus had to die!

do i really need to go over the gospel story with you?

this is sunday school stuff.:angel2: :thud:

You might be better served going over Jewish Law with a Jew, because they seem to do just fine keeping up with the law.

rocka21

Brother Rock
You might be better served going over Jewish Law with a Jew, because they seem to do just fine keeping up with the law.

Please, show me one Jew that keeps all the law of the old test.

thats the point ,they are not doing just fine, thats why God had to send a SAVIOR for them,:D and us.:eek:

Ðanisty

I got in a bad motorcycle accident two years ago after agreeing to work 14 days straight without a break...
Wait...didn't you give another reason for this motorcycle accident happening in another thread???

So what are we to conclude, Who sanctioned 1st day worship? It's nowhere in the Bible.
But who says that Sunday is the 1st day??? I know in many countries, Monday is the first day and that makes Sunday the 7th day!

Draka

Wonder Woman
Ðanisty;897757 said:
Wait...didn't you give another reason for this motorcycle accident happening in another thread???

But who says that Sunday is the 1st day??? I know in many countries, Monday is the first day and that makes Sunday the 7th day!

Technically, the bible does. John 20:1 states that on the first day of the week Mary went to the sepulchre. This chapter details Jesus' resurrection. Since most Christian denominations agree that this is celebrated as Easter Sunday, then that would place Sunday as the first day of the week and therefore, Saturday as the last day of the week.

Now, those who celebrate it as Easter Monday then have the Sunday as the last day at least have that corresponding correctly. But for those who keep Easter Sunday as holy and not keep Saturday as the sabbath, they have a little contridiction to deal with.

Though, personally, I don't see anything wrong with the interpretation that it was just meant for people to labor for six days and take the seventh off for God. It doesn't really state in the commandment itself which days are the work days and which are the sabbath days. There is no mention of the days of the week as we know them in the bible. Our calenders have changed throughout time and it can never be known which exact days certain things happened on.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What would Jesus do?
I find this admonishment amusing. Christ would heal and allow his disciples to pick food on the Sabbath. Your OP is phairisaical in nature. But Jesus answered the Pharisees that "the Sabbath was made for humanity, not humanity for the Sabbath."

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I find this admonishment amusing. Christ would heal and allow his disciples to pick food on the Sabbath. Your OP is phairisaical in nature. But Jesus answered the Pharisees that "the Sabbath was made for humanity, not humanity for the Sabbath."

Personally, I think he'd let his ox die in a pit if it fell in on the Sabbath . . . but that's just me.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The whole thrust of the OP is picayune in the extreme. Here's an example: If it's true that we're not supposed to engage in servile work on the Sabbath, how do you explain that we're commanded, nonetheless, to engage in worship on the Sabbath? Worship is servile work. The word comes from leiturgia, which means "the work of the people." It is also understood that service is involved in this particular type of work, as evidenced by the use of the Hebrew abodah.

The attempt here is to hold Christians to the "letter of the Law," which Jesus clearly states is not the issue. "The letter of the Law" prevented the priest and the Levite from attending to the beaten man on the road. "The letter of the Law" should have prevented the Samaritan from helping him, too. But who ended up being the better neighbor? The ones who kept "the letter of the Law," or the one who broke it?

If you're going to adhere to the "letter of the Law," then, by definition you're at a paradox, because the Law commands one to both engage in servile work and to refrain from servile work. See what I mean?

This is ridiculous at best. If you wanna "Keep the Sabbath," then, by all means, do just that very thing, if you feel that, by doing it, you follow Jesus as best you can. But don't berate the rest of us for following Jesus the best we know how. Otherwise we just might hold you accountable by your own paradoxical standards.

rocka21

Brother Rock
How do you know, if you never met one (and may not even know what I'm talking about)?

the enthusiasm began to cool and die off except for the more committed of the group. So there arose a group from within Israel and they called them selves the “Hasidem.” The Hasidem means “the pious ones.” Loosely translated it would be “the saints.” It was a Holy Club, you might say. It was a group of people that separated themselves and said, “We will return to God. We will return to obey Him.” This is who is referred to in Malachi:

if the Hasidem could keep the law, then Jesus would have never been born!

I know what i Know, if you know what i mean.........:eek:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
if the Hasidem could keep the law, then Jesus would have never been born!

Except that the Jews don't believe he is what you think he is, so therefore it's a useless argument.

If the Jews thought the couldn't keep the law, then there wouldn't be any.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Except that the Jews don't believe he is what you think he is, so therefore it's a useless argument.

If the Jews thought the couldn't keep the law, then there wouldn't be any.

Nope, there are still Jews that try to keep the law , they just fail......:sorry1:

if you break one, you broke them all.

now tell me there is a jew out there that has NEVER broken one of Gods laws. ( except Jesus):p

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Nope, there are still Jews that try to keep the law , they just fail......:sorry1:

if you break one, you broke them all.

now tell me there is a jew out there that has NEVER broken one of Gods laws. ( except Jesus):p

Is the point of Christianity never to sin? If you sin once, should you just off-yourself and go straight to hell?

rocka21

Brother Rock
Is the point of Christianity never to sin? If you sin once, should you just off-yourself and go straight to hell?

of course not, thats why we have a REDEEMER.

He took our place in Hell, because we could never follow the law and be perfect. we are all sinners.

the Jews are trying to follow the law and are still " looking" for the messiah.

but, so we can stop going round and round,:drool: i know where you are coming from. The view point of a Jew who has not accepted Jesus as the messiah.

the point is , they have no right telling christians that we don't keep the law. ( see Jesus).

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
the point is , they have no right telling christians that we don't keep the law. ( see Jesus).

Pot, have you met kettle?

Seriously, nobody has the right to tell Christians they don't follow the law, but Christians are allowed to tell Jews they aren't?