• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have Christians forgotten the fourth Commandment?

Are all Ten commandments binding?

• Total voters

d.n.irvin

Thats my point Draka, in a sense, the under current of scripture as it pertains to Mankind's besetting sin, so to speak, is that we have a hard time doing everything that God requires of us. Even though the Bible clearly tells us about the numerous promises of God- if we would do what he asks- we would never want for anything! The Bible says so, and God can't lie!

I'm referring to the fact that the Bible makes no allowances for the differences in calendars. The sabbath certainly wasn't "Sunday" or "Saturday".
No, it was the seventh day of the week. Meaning that early Christians were knowingly meeting together on a day (the first day of the week) other than the Sabbath.

d.n.irvin

Please share with us the information from scripture that you have in regards about early Christians not keeping the sabbath. And I'll share mine kindly

d.n.irvin

What would Jesus do?

In John 15:10 Jesus said "I have kept my father's commandments" and we can also find from scripture that Jesus attended church on the Sabbath day. "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

What would Paul do?
"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures." Acts 17:2. "Paul and his company ... went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down." Acts 13:13, 14. "And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13. "And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

d.n.irvin

What would the Gentiles do? (Even after Christ death)

"Blessed is the man ... that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it." "Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, ... every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer ... for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people." Isaiah 56:2, 6, 7, emphasis added.

And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath." "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God." Acts 13:42, 44, emphasis added. "And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

jonny

Mormons are pretty serious about keeping the Sabbath Day Holy, but I guess we're probably not Christians so I don't think this question is directed at us. :)

We consider Sunday to be our Sabbath.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
There should be an "Other" option on the poll.

Christians don't have to keep the Sabbath day holy, because we aren't bound by the Old Testament anymore. We don't follow the Old Testament.

The reason why we don't kill or lie or steal is because these commandments are reiterated in the New Testament, which is the only part of the Bible that binds us.

Please share with us the information from scripture that you have in regards about early Christians not keeping the sabbath. And I'll share mine kindly

"Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight." Acts 20:7

"On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come." 1 Cor. 16:2

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Um...
Where does the Bible state that everyone has to have the same day as the Sabbath?
Seems to me that it merely says work six, take the seventh off.
Would this not indicate that if I decide that I will work Saturday through Thursday and take Friday off, that I am still following this commandment?
So what if my wife decides that she will work Wednesday through Monday and take Tuesday off?
Where does the Bible state that we both have to have our Sabbath Day as the same day?

d.n.irvin

Where does the Bible state that we both have to have our Sabbath Day as the same day?
Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man(mankind), not man for the Sabbath Mark 2:27

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

The 4th Coommandment
8Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. Ex. 20:8-11

Booko

Deviled Hen
Parts of God's Law does change, but it isn't the church that should be changing it, so I can't choose either your poll options, sorry.

d.n.irvin

Early Christians
"...The Sabbath was a strong tie which united them with the life of the whole people, and in keeping the Sabbath holy they followed not only the example but also the command of Jesus." "Geschichte des Sonntags," pp.13, 14

2nd Century Christians
"The Gentile Christians observed also the Sabbath," Gieseler's "Church History," Vol.1, ch. 2, par. 30, 93. Early Christians
"The primitive Christians did keep the Sabbath of the Jews;...therefore the Christians, for a long time together, did keep their conventions upon the Sabbath, in which some portions of the law were read: and this continued till the time of the Laodicean council." "The Whole Works" of Jeremy Taylor, Vol. IX,p. 416 (R. Heber's Edition, Vol XII, p. 416).

2nd, 3rd, 4th Centuries

"From the apostles' time until the council of Laodicea, which was about the year 364, the holy observance of the Jews' Sabbath continued, as may be proved out of many authors: yea, notwithstanding the decree of the council against it." "Sunday a Sabbath." John Ley, p.163. London: 1640.

d.n.irvin

Ain't that the truth. I know how you feel.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Booko

Deviled Hen
What part of His law changes?

Are Christians allowed polygamy?

Do they need to follow Jewish dietary laws?

Must Christian men be circumcized?

Do Christians perform animal sacrifices?

Is divorce as easy in Christianity as it is in Judaism, or it it more limited?

What about the other 600+ commandments that Christians don't follow? There aren't just 10 of them -- turn the page in your Bible. You missed quite a few there.

God does not change. But human needs do, and God, like any good Parent, knows enough to adjust the rules a bit as the children grow up.

*God* gets to change the Laws as He sees fit. If Jesus changed some of them, I'm not having a problem with that. But let's not pretend that nothing changed between the OT and NT, because it certainly did.

There are, of course, other laws that do not change, but that's another story.

d.n.irvin

5th Century Christians
Down even to the fifth century the observance of the Jewish Sabbath was continued in the Christian church. "Ancient Christianity Exemplified," Lyman Coleman, ch. 26, sec. 2, p. 527.
In Jerome's day (420 A.D.) the devoutest Christians did ordinary work on Sunday. "Treatise of the Sabbath Day," by Dr. White, Lord Bishop of Ely, p. 219.
France
"Wherefore, except Vespers and Nocturns, there are no public services among them in the day except on Saturday (Sabbath) and Sunday." John Cassian, A French monk, "Institutes," Book 3, ch. 2.
Africa
"Augustine deplored the fact that in two neighbouring churches in Africa one observes the seventh-day Sabbath, another fasted on it." Dr. Peter Heylyn, "The History of the Sabbath." p. 416.
Spain (400 A.D.)
"Ambrose sanctified the seventh day as the Sabbath (as he himself says). Ambrose had great influence in Spain, which was also observing the Saturday Sabbath." Truth Triumphant, p. 68.
Sidonius (Speaking Of King Theodoric Of The Goths, A.D. 454-526)
"It is a fact that it was formerly the custom in the East to keep the Sabbath in the same manner as the Lord's day and to hold sacred assemblies: while on the other hand, the people of the West, contending for the Lord's day have neglected the celebration of the Sabbath." "Apollinaries Sidonli Epistolae," lib.1, 2; Migne, 57.
Church Of The East
"Mingana proves that in 410 Isaac, supreme director of the Church of the East, held a world council,-stimulated, some think, by the trip of Musacus,-attended by eastern delegates from forty grand metrop olitan divisions. In 411 he appointed a metropolitan director for China. These churches were sanctifying the seventh day."
Egypt
"There are several cities and villages in Egypt where, contrary to the usage established elsewhere, the people meet together on Sabbath evenings, and, although they have dined previously, partake of the mysteries." Sozomen. "Ecclesiastical History Book 7, ch. 119

d.n.irvin

10th Century Christians

Scotland

"They worked on Sunday, but kept Saturday in a Sabbatical manner." A history of Scotland from the Roman Occupation, Vol. I, p.96. Andrew Lang

Church Of The East - Kurdistan
"The Nestorians eat no pork and keep the Sabbath. They believe in neither auricular confession nor purgatory." Schaff-Herzog, "The New Encyclopaedia of Religious Knowledge," art. "Nestorians.

"
Waldenses
"And because they observed no other day of rest but the Sabbath days, they called them Insabathas, as much as to say, as they observed no Sabbath." Luther's "Fore-Runners" (original spelling), PP. 7, 8