• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Hasn't Canada Had That Much Of An Impact Of The World ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Canuckistan doesn't meddle violently in the
affairs of others around the world because
their military stays home to protect their
country from then danger to the south.
ea6803cdd3539ccfc140fc3e18ef13ff.jpg

5dbf701a0cc134eb3d58a22b815e2e57.jpg

libre

Skylark
Why Does Europe And The United States Have More Of An Impact In Peoples Minds ? To Me It Seems Like People Outside Of Canada Don't Care At All About Canada.
We have the cops of the world immediately to the south.
It's not hard for us to fly under the radar, we can be as hawkish as we realistically can be and it's in America's shadow.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's just strange for such a large country to have a small population.
Of the five invasion beaches on D-Day the Canadians were assigned one of them. To my mind that is a huge contribution to freedom. Canada has had a huge impact in sports. In 1984 Steve Bauer got the Silver medal in the men’s bicycle road race, just edged out by American bad boy Alexi Grewal. Bauer went on to have an extraordinary professional career in cycling. In 1986 Canadian Alex Steida became the first North American to wear the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.

And let’s not forget that Canadians have universal healthcare.

InvestigateTruth

Why Does Europe And The United States Have More Of An Impact In Peoples Minds ? To Me It Seems Like People Outside Of Canada Don't Care At All About Canada.
I can think of a number of reasons.

First Canada was politically part of Britain till 1982. So, Canada as an independent country, is only about 40 years old. Canada unlike other countrees was not envolved in the first and second world war, because it didnt exist even at that time, as an independent country. So, its politics unlike European countries, is not a continuation of politics from WWs.

Second, Canada Geographically located just North of USA, and is with USA together North America. USA plays all the foreign politics and wars, so, Canada does not really need to get evolved boldly.

Third, Canada is a very multi-national country. There is not a lot of sense of Nationalism here. We don't see the world as Us vs Them, because, in Canada the majority are from various countries. It can be even seen, some of Canada’s political figures and ministers and leaders are even Asian, indian, Chinese, Iranian, etc.

libre

Skylark
Canada unlike other countrees was not envolved in the first and second world war, because it didnt exist even at that time, as an independent country.
The Battle of Vimy Ridge is thought by many Canadian nationalists/militarists to be a foundational point in the emergence of Canadian independent identity as it was an instance where they entered the international field on their own as something more than just British colonists.

The Canadian state is likely very lucky that they do not have to answer for the actions of Canadians during WW1, because they acted barbarically.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

First Canada was politically part of Britain till 1982. So, Canada as an independent country, is only about 40 years old. Canada unlike other countrees was not envolved in the first and second world war, because it didnt exist even at that time, as an independent country. So, its politics unlike European countries, is not a continuation of politics from WWs.

Second, Canada Geographically located just North of USA, and is with USA together North America. USA plays all the foreign politics and wars, so, Canada does not really need to get evolved boldly.

Third, Canada is a very multi-national country. There is not a lot of sense of Nationalism here. We don't see the world as Us vs Them, because, in Canada the majority are from various countries. It can be even seen, some of Canada’s political figures and ministers and leaders are even Asian, indian, Chinese, Iranian, etc.
What? We gained independence from Britain in 1867! Just where do you get your information from?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Of the five invasion beaches on D-Day the Canadians were assigned one of them. To my mind that is a huge contribution to freedom. Canada has had a huge impact in sports. In 1984 Steve Bauer got the Silver medal in the men’s bicycle road race, just edged out by American bad boy Alexi Grewal. Bauer went on to have an extraordinary professional career in cycling. In 1986 Canadian Alex Steida became the first North American to wear the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.

And let’s not forget that Canadians have universal healthcare.
John Candy, Dan Akroyd, ...
and this
1702520512165.png

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What? We gained independence from Britain in 1867! Just where do you get your information from?

I was wondering about that, too, since my understanding was that Canada gained independence in 1867. However, I remember hearing about Dominion Day and just wanted to refresh my memory and looked it up: Dominion Day - Wikipedia

In the article, I found that 1982 was the year that Dominion Day was changed to Canada Day.

Dominion Day (French: Fête du Dominion) was the name of the holiday commemorating the formation of Canada as a Dominion on 1 July 1867. It became an official public holiday in 1879.[2] Some Canadians were, by the early 1980s, informally referring to the holiday as "Canada Day".[3][4] Proponents argued that the name "Dominion Day" was a holdover from the British colonial era.[5] The holiday was formally renamed to Canada Day in 1982 (via private member's bill by MP Hal Herbert to amend the Holidays Act), the year the Constitution of Canada was patriated with the passing of the Canada Act by the British Parliament.[6] Nonetheless, efforts to resurrect the original holiday name persisted for years, including a "Bring Back Our Dominion Day" campaign launched in the pages of a national newspaper.[7]

But does "dominion" imply some sort of incomplete independence? They still had the British monarch on their currency, and they've always maintained a certain loyalty to the Empire.

Alaskan's really don't know what isolation is until they experience some of the areas in Canada. They're so far out in the middle of nowhere, a small plane can't even get there without running out of fuel on the way back.

That's *real* isolation, when you can't even use aircraft. There's no way out, forever. If you can get there to begin with.

Last edited:

Massimo2002

We have the cops of the world immediately to the south.
It's not hard for us to fly under the radar, we can be as hawkish as we realistically can be and it's in America's shadow.
Well then why does the United States care so much about other countries ?

Massimo2002

Well the United States is multicultural too.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was wondering about that, too, since my understanding was that Canada gained independence in 1867. However, I remember hearing about Dominion Day and just wanted to refresh my memory and looked it up: Dominion Day - Wikipedia

In the article, I found that 1982 was the year that Dominion Day was changed to Canada Day.

But does "dominion" imply some sort of incomplete independence? They still had the British monarch on their currency, and they've always maintained a certain loyalty to the Empire.
Here in Canada we barely noticed it, as it was mostly a symbolic gesture. I also had to look it up.

Viker

Häxan
That is because Canadians aren't aggressive expansionists. It would be nice if Canada would force more people in the world to listen to Rush.