• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Go to Church

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You need to distinguish several things here.

1. Certain religions — Judaism, Christianity, Islam — enjoin public worship. Others — Christianity, Vodu — have activities which can only be carried out by a priest, not by any worshiper.

2. Rites of passage are a normal human activity. It's so natural to gather together for birth, marriage, and death that even atheists have to create rituals, as Altfish explained. If you do have a religious belief, it's natural to get god(s) involved.

3. Religious worship provides community activities. If you belong to a Christian sect that has no priesthood and no sacraments, you could just pray at home, but church attendence has its social value.
Church attendance has more than just social value. For the Christian, it lies at the heart of who we are. Together we become the body of Christ.

sojourner

that doesn't require a building. being in the midst of the name(exodus 3:14) makes it omnipresent, doesn't make it jesus.
No, but it does require propinquity. As human beings, we have a need to be together physically, where we can see, smell, feel, hear each other.

sojourner

Some people just like socializing. I would say churches are more like a rally event to get people pepped up for the week.
It’s more than that for the Christian. By definition, worship is the work of the people — not the work of individuals. Worship is the co-creation of commonality, hopefully in the context of diversity. “We, Who are many, are one body, because we all share one bread, one cup.”

sojourner

You can, but I believe they lose power and meaning. You have to intentionally hold space for the holy.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
if you can go with god?
What motivates someone to go else where that god might be but can't be here otherwise?
Is god served at fast religious services in a box? a bag? paper or plastic?

What motivates a Christian is found at Hebrews 10:25-26 to Not forsake assembling together.....
So, meetings are 'survival classes' for Christians besides uplifting one another as Proverbs 4:18 draws near.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
jesus is an object, a created object. and yes there is a difference between showing respect to someone and worshiping them.

I think Jesus would agree with you by his words found at John 4:23-24 because Jesus said true worshippers worship the Father, in other words, the worship of his God.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What motivates a Christian is found at Hebrews 10:25-26 to Not forsake assembling together.....
So, meetings are 'survival classes' for Christians besides uplifting one another as Proverbs 4:18 draws near.
assembling doesn't require a building. this website is an assembly. but that assembly must meet in the name. that name is exodus 3:14.

meet means to come together, like harvesting. multiple forms, bodies being of one mind have one action, be it for good or evil. to divide is to conquer, bring about the fall of something. a house divided against itself will collapse.a house not built upon the foundation of love will eventually be flooded and swept away.

at the end of the age the wheat will be gathered and the tares be tossed in the fire. the tares will be those who will not be of like mind. they will not have respect because they will use differences in appearance to justify their bad fruit. they will not understand that this energy, this action is infinite. the differences can be destroyed, but that energy/action/spirit bears fruit, good or evil.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That depends on how one views Jesus, and even within Christian circles that's variable.

i didn't claim it wasn't viewed differently among christians. i claimed that when jesus is worshiped as an object that that is idolatry of an object. that isn't veneration. i can believe and venerate all who bring forth fruit in keeping with the Spirit of Christ but I will not worship any one separate from another.

the bible never, ever condones it, even if some christians do.

quakers view christ as colossians 3:11, or All.

to be like minded doesn't necessarily mean to be like formed.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
i didn't claim it wasn't viewed differently among christians. i claimed that when jesus is worshiped as an object that that is idolatry of an object. that isn't veneration. i can believe and venerate all who bring forth fruit in keeping with the Spirit of Christ but I will not worship any one separate from another.

the bible never, ever condones it, even if some christians do.

quakers view christ as colossians 3:11, or All.

to be like minded doesn't necessarily mean to be like formed.
Again, the issue is "Is Jesus of God?", and then the opinions will dissect and move out in different directions from there. I don't pretend to know the answer, nor do I lose any sleep over it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
if you can go with god?

What motivates someone to go else where that god might be but can't be here otherwise?

Because we are a body. There are things that can happen when the body comes together that won't when you are alone. Conversely, there are things that can happen when you are alone with God that can't happen when you are together.

Do both IMV

dianaiad

if you can go with god?

Matthew 18:20.

It's not that God cannot be 'elsewhere.' It's that fellowship and support from and with people who share beliefs and culture is a good thing.

It's not that God is anywhere else.

It's that God is there too.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Matthew 18:20.

It's not that God cannot be 'elsewhere.' It's that fellowship and support from and with people who share beliefs and culture is a good thing.

It's not that God is anywhere else.

It's that God is there too.

most people do not gather in the name, nor even know that name. the name isn't jesus. isn't god. isn't holy spirit. the people on this site are gathered here. joined here but they aren't here in the name.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
assembling doesn't require a building. this website is an assembly. but that assembly must meet in the name. that name is exodus 3:14.
meet means to come together, like harvesting. multiple forms, bodies being of one mind have one action, be it for good or evil. to divide is to conquer, bring about the fall of something. a house divided against itself will collapse.a house not built upon the foundation of love will eventually be flooded and swept away.
at the end of the age the wheat will be gathered and the tares be tossed in the fire. the tares will be those who will not be of like mind. they will not have respect because they will use differences in appearance to justify their bad fruit. they will not understand that this energy, this action is infinite. the differences can be destroyed, but that energy/action/spirit bears fruit, good or evil.

True, assembling together does Not require a building,
Even the word church is wrongly considered as a building when it is the congregation's people.
However, just as Jesus taught in the synagogues (buildings) those buildings served a purpose as a meeting house.
Also, I find the Temple in Jerusalem served as a meeting house for gathering together in worship.

At the end of the age (of badness on Earth) Jesus, as Shepherd, will separate people living on Earth at the separating time frame as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40. The figurative humble ' sheep' can come through the coming ' great tribulation' of Revelation 7:14.
They can remain alive on Earth, and continue to live on Earth starting with calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth.
As for the figurative haughty 'goats' they will be destroyed forever - Psalms 92:7.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
most people do not gather in the name, nor even know that name. the name isn't jesus. isn't god. isn't holy spirit. the people on this site are gathered here. joined here but they aren't here in the name.

Since an inquiring mind wants to know, then people who gather here could possibly want to know more.