• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Go to Church

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
if you can go with god?

What motivates someone to go else where that god might be but can't be here otherwise?

Is god served at fast religious services in a box? a bag? paper or plastic?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Christenings, Weddings and Funerals

Luckily all are reducing and we are now having Naming Ceremonies, Humanist Weddings and Funerals none of which require a church.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Luckily all are reducing and we are now having Naming Ceremonies, Humanist Weddings and Funerals none of which require a church.

i noticed something long ago about most all jesus' meetings. they usually involved food, love feasts.

And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member

I have never heard of this. Do you consider it religious or non religious?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have never heard of this. Do you consider it religious or non religious?
Well there is no mention of a deity, we don't sing hymns or say prayers. There is usually a 'minutes reflection' when you can say a silent prayer if you wish to, I usually just try to remember who we are celebrating.

We read poems, have members of the family or friends give speeches, we play our favourite music - to be honest you do what you like, but they do tend to follow a format - just to keep them sensible.

Here's a naming ceremony...

A wedding...

A funeral...

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Well there is no mention of a deity, we don't sing hymns or say prayers. There is usually a 'minutes reflection' when you can say a silent prayer if you wish to, I usually just try to remember who we are celebrating.

We read poems, have members of the family or friends give speeches, we play our favourite music - to be honest you do what you like, but they do tend to follow a format - just to keep them sensible.

A wedding...

A funeral...

so its basically rituals without a divinity and for the faithful humanist?

Altfish

Veteran Member
so its basically rituals without a divinity and for the faithful humanist?
No, I'd say for the non-religious - there is no faithful about it.
I can't remember the last religious wedding I went to, must be over 15-years ago.
Funerals, yes a few religious ones, but not in church for a long time.
Only one christening in a church, that was so the child could get into the local school!

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member

A wedding...

A funeral...
...so is it religious or non religious?

GoodbyeDave

You need to distinguish several things here.

1. Certain religions — Judaism, Christianity, Islam — enjoin public worship. Others — Christianity, Vodu — have activities which can only be carried out by a priest, not by any worshiper.

2. Rites of passage are a normal human activity. It's so natural to gather together for birth, marriage, and death that even atheists have to create rituals, as Altfish explained. If you do have a religious belief, it's natural to get god(s) involved.

3. Religious worship provides community activities. If you belong to a Christian sect that has no priesthood and no sacraments, you could just pray at home, but church attendence has its social value.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No, I'd say for the non-religious - there is no faithful about it.
I can't remember the last religious wedding I went to, must be over 15-years ago.
Funerals, yes a few religious ones, but not in church for a long time.
Only one christening in a church, that was so the child could get into the local school!
being faithful to one's significant other doesn't requires a deity either. language sucks don't it? no getting around it sometimes, no matter how hard we try.

i found it interesting; when i discovered people had biases towards words.

Muffled

Jesus in me
if you can go with god?

What motivates someone to go else where that god might be but can't be here otherwise?

Is god served at fast religious services in a box? a bag? paper or plastic?

I believe it is because where two or more are gathered Jesus is in the midst.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I believe it is because where two or more are gathered Jesus is in the midst.
that doesn't require a building. being in the midst of the name(exodus 3:14) makes it omnipresent, doesn't make it jesus.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Christianity and Judaism were never "just do your own thing" entities, plus groups can often do things that are much more difficult for individuals to do. Even in just may own local church my wife and I attend, there's significant charitable work that's being done on a regular basis, for just one example. Religious services help to teach and organize, for examples, and I do believe there's some significant benefits that can be derived from that.