• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why get married if not for sex and romance?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Did your dad look for someone? Did your aunt look?
Seek and ye shall find, well maybe...

My dad passed on at age 52 when my mom was 51 and she lived to be 93, but she never remarried.
My aunt did look, and found. Dad sort of looked, but not that actively. He was sort of torn, but for sure if someone would have made the first move, he would have. But maybe not, we never actually discussed this. I know a lot of old married couples who so enjoy each other's company. We just visited my last remaining aunt last week. She is 87, he is 86, and they've been married 69 years. I teased her that she robbed the cradle. But gosh they get along.

InvestigateTruth

Why?

In the Baha'i marriage ceremony all that is read is: “We will all, verily, abide by the will of God.”

Why would sex need to be involved once a couple is past the child-bearing years?
That is what this thread is about, older people.
I am not against old people getting married. It is the right for anyone.
People could get married for different reasons. We don't have anything against older people getting married in Bahai Writings. But in my understanding, its main reason is to have children, as Bahaullah says in Aghdas.
So, if you mean whether or not it is a good choice for old people get married, I think it depends on the situation. If it is a good case, why not.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Why?

In the Baha'i marriage ceremony all that is read is: “We will all, verily, abide by the will of God.”

Why would sex need to be involved once a couple is past the child-bearing years?
That is what this thread is about, older people.
I'm not sure that physical attraction necessarily has to be about sex.
I certainly don't want to cuddle with everyone I meet. Loving someone romantically would at least mean to me that you would want to hold hands and sit close to the person. If you just want to be friends, why get married? You can spend every day with a friend and not have the stressors of living together.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

1. Let’s say you are an older man or woman and you were divorced or widowed and you have no interest in sex. Would you get remarried? If so, why would you get remarried?
What would be the purpose of the marriage?

2. Is romance a necessary precursor to marriage or a necessary part of marriage? If so, why?

Romance: a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
romance means - Google Search

Is romance same as love?

Love means devotion, affection and commitment. Romance is everything superficial like long drives, intimate dinners. Jan 17, 2021
What is the Difference Between Love & Romance - FN

What makes a person romantic?

Most romantic people are in love with love; they get extra enjoyment out of fantasy, idealism and little gestures of endearment. Pretty much all of us feel romantic when we begin new relationships. Some of us feel more romantic during sentimental times or just for vacations, date nights or anniversaries. Feb 9, 2017
How Romantic Are You? [Quiz] - Live Happy Magazine

What do romantic feelings feel like?

Romantical feelings can be described as deep emotional interest and connection with another individual that is not purely physical or sexual. One of the first signs is that you wish to be intimate with that individual, but that intimacy doesn't need to be of a sexual nature. Apr 12, 2022
What Does Romantic Attraction Feel Like - WOC Therapy
Sex isn't important in a relationship (to me), there are other aspects of love that is much more important.
To be that for the other person, to love that person so deep that one are willing to die for that person.

I don't say one should refuse to have sex if your partner want it, but to me sex is not what build the relationship.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I know a lot of old married couples who so enjoy each other's company. We just visited my last remaining aunt last week. She is 87, he is 86, and they've been married 69 years.
They are so fortunate to both be alive and together after all those years. Not everyone is that fortunate, especially if there is a big age difference. I have a neighbor with a similar situation. They are close to the same age and they have been married for 52 years. They are both in good health and in their early 70s. Some people seem to have all the luck.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm not sure that physical attraction necessarily has to be about sex.
I certainly don't want to cuddle with everyone I meet. Loving someone romantically would at least mean to me that you would want to hold hands and sit close to the person. If you just want to be friends, why get married? You can spend every day with a friend and not have the stressors of living together.
I agree with all of that. Much is involved and required to make a marriage work, which is probably why so many marriages fail. I received this article in my e-mail a couple of days ago. It does say that one should find someone they are physically attracted to.

6 Things You Should Look for in a Lasting Spiritual Relationship

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Children, companionship and being part of a family.

1. Let’s say you are an older man or woman and you were divorced or widowed and you have no interest in sex. Would you get remarried? If so, why would you get remarried?

It is hard to know. I would need to pray and reflect very carefully.

2. Is romance a necessary precursor to marriage or a necessary part of marriage? If so, why?

I'm not sure. It was for my current marriage but what seems far more important is to be kind, considerate and compassionate.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Mother father first adult humans brother sister. Had sex. Had babies babies healthy as no DNA was damaged then.

Natives virtually said humans babies denoted by age as hierarchy. Not by naming.

As we worked by natural living hierarchy. Mutual.

Then star fall came. Brain changed DNA was hurt.

So mutated sick babies bore the sexual position. Science technology made Ill health acute.

Hierarchy said....we must enforce a procedure of revising sexual family lineage. To overcome mutations. So we legally enforced marriage based on first a review of family lineage.

Then it was sanctioned okay to marry.

Actually.

Father mother natural relationship very loving is there in our memory. We seek a soul pattern partnership human realised... claiming to be a perfect relationship like father mother were.

Proven wrong a lot of times...aren't really in our lives anymore.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Romance: a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
romance means - Google Search

Is romance same as love?

Love means devotion, affection and commitment. Romance is everything superficial like long drives, intimate dinners. Jan 17, 2021
What is the Difference Between Love & Romance - FN

What makes a person romantic?

Most romantic people are in love with love; they get extra enjoyment out of fantasy, idealism and little gestures of endearment. Pretty much all of us feel romantic when we begin new relationships. Some of us feel more romantic during sentimental times or just for vacations, date nights or anniversaries. Feb 9, 2017
How Romantic Are You? [Quiz] - Live Happy Magazine

What do romantic feelings feel like?

Romantical feelings can be described as deep emotional interest and connection with another individual that is not purely physical or sexual. One of the first signs is that you wish to be intimate with that individual, but that intimacy doesn't need to be of a sexual nature. Apr 12, 2022
What Does Romantic Attraction Feel Like - WOC Therapy
Romance is a relatively new concept. Traditionally marriage was a tool to secure connections (for the powerful) or secure assistance in need and old age (for the less fortunate). Today even royalty has abandoned inbreeding and the social net has made the family obsolete as a security.
People living together has lost its stigma so that is another reason lost for marriage. What remains is tax reasons and some arbitrary rules of who is allowed to visit you in hospital.
Marriage has become anachronistic and should be replaced/reformed.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Companionship, probably only if an old flame returns.
(That does not concern me. We have been married for 55 years. I am 80, she is 75)
2. Romance is not a necessary requirement for marriage. The sense of duty is.
Do you think that a physical attraction is necessary?
Do you think that a sexual relationship is necessary in marriage?
Depends on the two people involved. There are all kinds of marriages.

Last edited: