• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why exactly do Jehovah's Witnesses evangelize?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I guess you'd be trying to be sooo obedient and loving while ISIS was over here raping and killing your wife, daughter, mother and sister too. I can hear you now, it's ok mom, Jehovah is watching, take one for the team!

So....you're willing to kill others and not be obedient. Got it!

InChrist

Free4ever
It just couldn't be done out of love? Like the Apostles did? If money was indeed the motivator, there would be collection plates passed around. And God's Spirit wouldn't be blessing us with our incredible worldwide brotherhood, our loving unity, which can only result from His spirit. -- Galatians 5:22-23
Kingdom Halls may not pass collection plates, but they do have donation boxes for money don't they? Along with various other ways to solicit money from members. I don't think it can possibly be out of love as the apostles had because they knew the real Savior Jesus, not the Watchtower Michael the archangel concoction. From what I have seen and researched, all the hours of volunteer work for the governing body and the so-called worldwide unity is actually not loving unity, but conformity based in fear.

"The WTS introduced this new donations policy evidently to avoid tax on the sale of its publications. Asking for donations - something condemned for a century - had become acceptable.

Moreover, detailed appeals for donations appeared in WTS publications. Notice how no avenue is left uncovered:

How Some Make Donations to the Kingdom-Preaching Work

• CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE WORLDWIDE WORK: Many set aside or budget an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled: “Contributions for the Society’s Worldwide Work-Matthew 24:14.” Each month congregations forward these amounts either to the world headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, or to the nearest branch office.

• GIFTS: Voluntary donations of money may be sent directly to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11201-2483, or to the Society’s office that serves your country. Jewelry or other valuables may also be donated. A brief letter stating that such is an outright gift should accompany these contributions.

• CONDITIONAL-DONATION ARRANGEMENT: Money may be given to the Watch Tower Society to be held in trust until the donor’s death, with the provision that in the case of personal need, it will be returned to the donor. • INSURANCE: The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or in a retirement/pension plan. The Society should be informed of any such arrangement.

• BANK ACCOUNTS: Bank accounts, certificates of deposit, or individual retirement accounts may be placed in trust for or made payable on death to the Watch Tower Society, in accord with local bank requirements. The Society should be informed of any such arrangements.

• STOCKS AND BONDS: Stocks and bonds may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either as an outright gift or under an arrangement whereby the income continues to be paid to the donor.

• REAL ESTATE: Salable real estate may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either by making an outright gift or by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live therein during his or her lifetime. One should contact the Society before deeding any real estate to the Society.

• WILLS AND TRUSTS: Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania by means of a legally executed will, or the Society may be named as a beneficiary of a trust agreement. A trust benefiting a religious organization may provide certain tax advantages. A copy of the will or trust agreement should be sent to the Society.

• PLANNED GIVING: The Society has assembled information on “Planned Giving.” Those who are planning to make a special gift to the Society now or to leave a bequest at death may find this information helpful. That is especially true if they wish to accomplish some family goal or estate-planning objective while using tax benefits to minimize the cost of the gift or bequest. This information can be obtained by writing to the Society at the address shown below. (The Watchtower 1994 12/1 page 19)

With shameless appeals like this, one wonders how the WTS could ever have chided other churches! And one wonders how many JWs have willed their few possessions to the multi-billion dollar WTS while leaving their own dependents stranded.

A further point is that 6 million JWs donate their time to distribute WTS publications door to door in what is called “field service” or “witnessing” or “ministry”. This activity is said to be “voluntary” but the teaching is that JWs who don’t do it will be executed by God at Armageddon. JWs who regularly miss field service for entire months also face ostracism in their congregation and - if they try to justify their slackness - excommunication.

Despite WTS writers often implying that the main source of funding is “contribution boxes” in Kingdom Halls, most comes from the efforts of six million JWs who trudge the streets and knock on doors to offer WTS literature.

Furthermore, these same JWs are obliged to buy personal copies of all magazines and books the WTS puts out. The WTS has millions of captive buyers expected to purchase the publications without even looking at the contents!

The WTS produces its literature at minimal cost. Materials are bought in bulk and every step in production is by “volunteers”.
http://www.jwfiles.com/wt_honesty/donations.htm

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Kingdom Halls may not pass collection plates, but they do have donation boxes for money don't they? Along with various other ways to solicit money from members. I don't think it can possibly be out of love as the apostles had because they knew the real Savior Jesus, not the Watchtower Michael the archangel concoction. From what I have seen and researched, all the hours of volunteer work for the governing body and the so-called worldwide unity is actually not loving unity, but conformity based in fear.

"The WTS introduced this new donations policy evidently to avoid tax on the sale of its publications. Asking for donations - something condemned for a century - had become acceptable.

Moreover, detailed appeals for donations appeared in WTS publications. Notice how no avenue is left uncovered:

How Some Make Donations to the Kingdom-Preaching Work

• CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE WORLDWIDE WORK: Many set aside or budget an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled: “Contributions for the Society’s Worldwide Work-Matthew 24:14.” Each month congregations forward these amounts either to the world headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, or to the nearest branch office.

• GIFTS: Voluntary donations of money may be sent directly to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11201-2483, or to the Society’s office that serves your country. Jewelry or other valuables may also be donated. A brief letter stating that such is an outright gift should accompany these contributions.

• CONDITIONAL-DONATION ARRANGEMENT: Money may be given to the Watch Tower Society to be held in trust until the donor’s death, with the provision that in the case of personal need, it will be returned to the donor. • INSURANCE: The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or in a retirement/pension plan. The Society should be informed of any such arrangement.

• BANK ACCOUNTS: Bank accounts, certificates of deposit, or individual retirement accounts may be placed in trust for or made payable on death to the Watch Tower Society, in accord with local bank requirements. The Society should be informed of any such arrangements.

• STOCKS AND BONDS: Stocks and bonds may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either as an outright gift or under an arrangement whereby the income continues to be paid to the donor.

• REAL ESTATE: Salable real estate may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either by making an outright gift or by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live therein during his or her lifetime. One should contact the Society before deeding any real estate to the Society.

• WILLS AND TRUSTS: Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania by means of a legally executed will, or the Society may be named as a beneficiary of a trust agreement. A trust benefiting a religious organization may provide certain tax advantages. A copy of the will or trust agreement should be sent to the Society.

• PLANNED GIVING: The Society has assembled information on “Planned Giving.” Those who are planning to make a special gift to the Society now or to leave a bequest at death may find this information helpful. That is especially true if they wish to accomplish some family goal or estate-planning objective while using tax benefits to minimize the cost of the gift or bequest. This information can be obtained by writing to the Society at the address shown below. (The Watchtower 1994 12/1 page 19)

With shameless appeals like this, one wonders how the WTS could ever have chided other churches! And one wonders how many JWs have willed their few possessions to the multi-billion dollar WTS while leaving their own dependents stranded.

A further point is that 6 million JWs donate their time to distribute WTS publications door to door in what is called “field service” or “witnessing” or “ministry”. This activity is said to be “voluntary” but the teaching is that JWs who don’t do it will be executed by God at Armageddon. JWs who regularly miss field service for entire months also face ostracism in their congregation and - if they try to justify their slackness - excommunication.

Despite WTS writers often implying that the main source of funding is “contribution boxes” in Kingdom Halls, most comes from the efforts of six million JWs who trudge the streets and knock on doors to offer WTS literature.

Furthermore, these same JWs are obliged to buy personal copies of all magazines and books the WTS puts out. The WTS has millions of captive buyers expected to purchase the publications without even looking at the contents!

The WTS produces its literature at minimal cost. Materials are bought in bulk and every step in production is by “volunteers”.
http://www.jwfiles.com/wt_honesty/donations.htm

So, you would rather get your information from biased websites, than from the horse's mouth? That's tantamount to asking Judas Iscariot about Jesus Christ!

There were many lies presented in this copy-and-paste post.... If you care about factual, truthful sources, Go to jw.org

"excommunicated"; "JWs are obligated"; "something condemned for a century" -- only a few of the lies.

But you'll believe what you want to believe.

BTW, yes, we do have contribution boxes in our KH's, one for congregation expenses, and one for the WorldWideWork. (If the hall is big, maybe two for each.)
These are usually placed discretely at the sides of the foyers.

We recognize and accept Jesus as our Master, King, and Savior, sent by God.

And our brotherhood is not based on "conformity out of fear"! Many of our brothers lost their lives because of protecting other brothers! Fear won't cause that. Google "Jehovah's Witnesses, Tutsi, Rwanda Genocide" or something similar.

Don't be hateful.

djhwoodwerks

According to 1 John 3:10-15, it's quite the important issue! And Jesus himself said (John 13:34-35) that the love they have for their brothers would IDENTIFY his followers!! And then, we also have Jesus' words at Matthew 7:21......"Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of the Heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father, who is in the Heavens, will."

What is 'the Father's' will?

The, we let our brothers and sisters, little children, die before we let them take blood. Murder is murder, isn't it?

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

But you know, not a single "sheep" will be put off by you

I guess. "Sheep" are being put off by people every day. Just look at your own kingdom hall. Why are the GB selling so many kingdom halls and moving different congregations into one hall? Do your own research, don't buy the stuff sent out by the WT.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
And who are Christ's brothers?

Mar 3:32-35 (ESVST) 32 And a crowd was sitting around him, and they said to him, " Your mother and your brothers are outside, seeking you." 33 And he answered them, " Who are my mother and my brothers?" 34 And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, " Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother."

And guess what! This is "BEFORE" the Holy Spirit was poured out! No anointing here.

You are right, this is was before the anointing with holy spirit, but in this instance, Jesus was identifying his spiritual "family" at a time when his fleshly family were not yet exercising faith in him. Familiarity would not at first allow them to put faith in the person they had known all their lives as just their older brother. This is why he said "For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother." (Mark 10:28-30)
You have misinterpreted his words here.

His comments at Matt 25:40 apply in a different way.

Matt 25:34-40:
"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’"

Who is Jesus addressing in this passage? Isn't it the sheep or righteous ones who inherit the kingdom? Christ's "brothers" were hungry and thirsty and naked and sick and in prison and the sheep came to their aid. The sheep are those who support Christ's brothers....but not all who are Christ's disciples will go to heaven, despite being one flock with one shepherd. There are two flocks within one pen.

As "kings and priests" Christ's anointed ones need subjects to rule and sinners for whom to act as priests. (Rev 20:6) Who are these?

And what is the will of God?

Jn 6:40 (ESVST) 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

The will of God is that we obey his son in everything he taught. You did not defend Christendom's participation in bloodshed despite Jesus command to 'love our enemies'.
Apparently you think Christians can break that command and attack or even kill an enemy if they feel justified in doing so. I don't see an escape clause in the directive Jesus gave. Not in Paul's counsel either. (Rom 12:17-21)

And in quoting the scripture above, can I ask you what it means to "believe" in the son? (James 2:19)
And can you also tell me what it means when Jesus says "I will raise him up on the last day"?

Why did the WT/GB insert Jehovah in Rom 10:13? The Bible clearly says that there is no other name "GIVEN AMONG MEN" that we are to be saved by! What name would that be? Hint: Not Jehovah

Now this is where you really show your complete lack of knowledge of the scriptures. We did not "insert" "Jehovah" into Rom 10:13.
"For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” "

If you observe the quotation marks in that verse you will know that Paul is quoting OT scripture, Joel 2:32 actually, where the tetragrammaton appears. So the scripture Paul was quoting says..."Then everyone who calls on the name of Yahweh will be saved". (Holman)
Or " And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Jehovah shall be delivered" (ASV)

Peter also quoted this verse in Acts 2:21. The apostles knew the difference between the Sovereign Lord Jehovah and his "holy servant", the Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 4:27-30)

Having faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is vital for all Christians and many powerful works were carried out in his name in the first century, but Christ's name is not above his superior Father's name. You can't get higher than the "Most High over all the earth". (Psalm 83:18 KJV) Jesus called his Father "the only true God" (John 17:3) and said we must worship "him alone" (Luke 4:8)

Christendom does not know the true God.....they have been robbing their members of the truth for centuries.

djhwoodwerks

The will of God is that we obey his son in everything he taught. You did not defend Christendom's participation in bloodshed despite Jesus command to 'love our enemies'.
Apparently you think Christians can break that command and attack or even kill an enemy if they feel justified in doing so. I don't see an escape clause in the directive Jesus gave. Not in Paul's counsel either. (Rom 12:17-21)

JW's have found an escape clause, haven't they? It's called disfellowshipping.

Pro 6:16-19 (ESVST) 16 There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, 19 a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Let's look at Ecclesiastes, JW's like to go there to prove there is no immortal soul, so let's look at killing,

Ecc 3:1-3 (ESVST) 1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;

What? Does that say there is a time to kill!? Since God hates hands that shed "innocent" blood, and there's a time to kill, it "apparently" means we can defend ourselves against people who would harm us.

djhwoodwerks

Having faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is vital for all Christians and many powerful works were carried out in his name in the first century, but Christ's name is not above his superior Father's name. You can't get higher than the "Most High over all the earth". (Psalm 83:18 KJV) Jesus called his Father "the only true God" (John 17:3) and said we must worship "him alone" (Luke 4:8)

Eph 1:20, 21 (NWT) 20which he exercised toward Christ when he raised him up from the dead and seated him at his right hand+ in the heavenly places, 21 far above every government and authority and power and lordship and every name that is named,+ not only in this system of things* but also in that to come.

I'm surprised that the WT didn't add the word "other" in this verse. What does your Bible say?

Lol! They did in this verse. They must of overlooked the one in Eph.

Phil 2:9, 10 (NWT) 9For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position+ and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name,+ 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground

If you want to translate Lord in Rom 10:13 as Jehovah, the you need to translate Lord in verse 9 as Jehovah also, because it's the same word. (STRONG) g2962. κύριος kyrios; from κῦρος kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i. e.

Rom 10:9 (ESVST) 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

By putting Jehovah in verse 10, you are saying, we confess that Jesus is Jehovah in verse 9.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to 1 John 3:10-15, it's quite the important issue! And Jesus himself said (John 13:34-35) that the love they have for their brothers would IDENTIFY his followers!! And then, we also have Jesus' words at Matthew 7:21......"Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of the Heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father, who is in the Heavens, will."

What is 'the Father's' will?
It isn't love to threaten people who won't bow down to your governing body with annihilation. You should know that.
John 12:43
Proverbs 18:10
Proverbs 28:25
Proverbs 29:25
Psalms 118:8
Psalms 146:3
Jeremiah 17:5
Isaiah 30:1

djhwoodwerks

Now this is where you really show your complete lack of knowledge of the scriptures.

The only knowledge JW's posses of the scripture is what the GB tells them they have. They have admitted many times, they are not infallible! So do you just pick and choose what you think they are correct in? How do they know what they teach is correct? All through their "teachings", supposedly from God Himself, they say things like, "it must mean", "we thought", "we perceived", "apparently", nothing that shows any form of trust in what they teach. So how can you say you know the truth, when your teachers admit they could be wrong?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd like to ask a question of the JWs. As a JW it is good to donate money to the society. But if a member of JWs heard about all the money going to pay for legal fees and disagreed with the way the gb handles child abuse cases so then refused any longer to donate anything, what would happen?
Would that person be considered weak spiritually and thus shunned?

I think it is not fair that the heads of the society do not say how all the money that is donated is being spent. How can they honestly say they are "in the truth" when so much is hidden from the average Jehovah's Witness?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the reason JWs obey the governing body IS fear. They are taught that God expects them to do everything they should and if they do not God will not raise them in the resurrection.

djhwoodwerks

You are right, this is was before the anointing with holy spirit, but in this instance, Jesus was identifying his spiritual "family" at a time when his fleshly family were not yet exercising faith in him. Familiarity would not at first allow them to put faith in the person they had known all their lives as just their older brother. This is why he said "For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother." (Mark 10:28-30)
You have misinterpreted his words here.

Exactly my point Deeje, everyone who does the will of the Father is Jesus' (spiritual) brother, sister, mother, could He have meant anything else? Isn't that what the 144,000 are supposed to be, Jesus' "spiritual" brothers?

InChrist

Free4ever

Christendom does not know the true God.....they have been robbing their members of the truth for centuries.

If the name “Jehovah” should be used as the Watchtower tells Jehovah’s Witnesses to use it, why is this instruction omitted from the New Testament? Why didn’t Jesus teach His disciples to pray “Our Jehovah” instead of “Our Father?

In whose name should we meet together (Matt. 18:20; 1 Cor. 5:4)?
Demons are subject to whose name (Luke 10:17; Acts 16:18; )?
Repentance and forgiveness should be preached in whose name (Luke 24:47)?
In whose name are you to receive and believe (John 1:12; 3:16; Acts 10:43; 1 John 3:23; 5:13)?
Whose name should we use to ask our petitions (John 14:13, 14; 15:16; 16:23, 24)?
In whose name is the Holy Spirit sent (John 14:26)?
Whose name and authority was invoked by the disciples in healing the sick and lame (Acts 3:16; 4:7-10, 30)?
Whose name were the disciples forbidden to speak in by the council(Acts 4:17- 18; 5:28)?
In whose name, and no other, do we obtain salvation (4:12)?
Upon whose name did Paul tell us to call (pray) (1 Cor. 1:2)?
Whose name shall be uttered that shall cause very knee to bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father (Phil. 2:10, 11)?
Whose name is above very name (Eph. 1:21; Phil. 2:9)?
Who are we to be witnesses of–what is His name (Acts 1:8)?

I think the NT scriptures are clear that the only name for believers to call upon, identify with, share, and exalt is Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

Peter also quoted this verse in Acts 2:21. The apostles knew the difference between the Sovereign Lord Jehovah and his "holy servant", the Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 4:27-30)

Yes, they did know the difference, there was no difference.

Act 2:21 (ESVST) 21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (STRONG) g2962. κύριος kyrios; from κῦρος kuros (supremacy);

Act 7:59 (ESVST) 59 And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, " Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." (STRONG) g2962. κύριος kyrios; from κῦρος kuros (supremacy);

Act 11:17 (ESVST) 17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?" (STRONG) g2962. κύριος kyrios; from κῦρος kuros (supremacy);

Rev 1:8 (ESVST) 8 " I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." (STRONG) g2962. κύριος kyrios; from κῦρος kuros (supremacy);