• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why exactly do Jehovah's Witnesses evangelize?

Baladas

An Págánach
We were speaking of an entirely different concept. I apologize for continuing the conversation here though, as it was meant to be about your faith.

Peace and blessings to you.

lockyfan

As all people who've ever lived will be brought back to life for a second chance upon the Second Coming, is there any incentive (beyond personal moral qualms) to not be abusive and cruel in this lifetime? If we get a second chance anyway...

But they could be right, we don't know.

To be honest, yes there is because if you are to sin against the holy spirit, meaning deliberately doing things wrong, acting like you don't care, even though you know the difference but just want to throw it into Gods face, then you may be judged adversely. Just as Adam, Eve, Cain, Satan, the demons, Those in Noah's day Judas Iscariot and others we don't know all are.

djhwoodwerks

The fact is there has to be one "religion" which is true and the rest false because if you study the bible Jesus had a religion, he was a jew, but he started the Christian religion because the jews rejected him.

You don't come across as very sure of this comment. "The FACT IS", there "HAS TO BE", if it is a fact, shouldn't you have said, "the fact IS there IS only one religion"?

My question is this, If the JW's are the TRUE religion, and only the JW's have complete unity throughout it's org, why did Jesus have letters sent to seven different churches?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
If I am not mistaken, (and please correct me if I am wrong) Jehovah's Witnesses believe that only 144,000 elect Jehovah's Witnesses will go to heaven, while the rest are just sent to the grave along with the rest of us. So if that is the case, why evangelize? Chances are they are not going to heaven, and neither are you. Also, doesn't converting other people lessen YOUR chances of getting into heaven? Your thoughts?

The Bible refers to those who are going to heaven, as "chosen." They are also called, Jesus' "brothers". Please Matthew 25:32-46.... Did you notice the different groups mentioned? There are, not two, but three. (And, of course, Jesus as King.) Jesus' brothers have a job in heaven, they rule as kings with him. Now, who are there usually more of...kings, or subjects? Subjects, of course! Well, the 'sheep', the righteous, will be subjects of God's Kingdom (Matthew 6:9-10), and enjoy perfect life under Jesus' rule! (Revelation 21:3-4....no more death = endless life, on Earth; "the tent of God is with mankind.") Compare Isaiah 11:6-9; Isaiah 35:5-7; Isaiah 45:18; Psalms 37:10-11; Matthew 5:5.

Take care.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
My question is this, If the JW's are the TRUE religion, and only the JW's have complete unity throughout it's org, why did Jesus have letters sent to seven different churches?

They weren't "churches" but congregations of Christians each with some things to work on and some with commendation. Congregations today are likewise made up of individuals who form a body of believers. Since Jehovah's Witnesses have one universal belief shared by all, there is no contention over their teachings, but sometimes over the individual conduct of those who make up that body. None of us are perfect yet, so we all have things to work on personally as we learn to get along with one another in love and unity.

Please consult the Revelation Climax Book chapter 7 for a full explanation of the letters to the seven congregations.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
How can you sin against electricity? Isn't God the only One we can sin against?

The Bible actually says that fornicators can sin against their own body. (1 Cor 6:18)

God's spirit is not "electricity"...it is the activation of his power, emanating from him as a means to accomplish his will. To sin against the holy spirit is to deny its source. Judas sinned against the holy spirit, having seen it demonstrated through Jesus first hand and even participating in acts that were made possible by the spirit of God himself, yet he threw it all away for a handful of silver coins. (Matt 10:5-8; 27:3-10)

God is a spirit, but he is NOT the holy spirit. He is the possessor and controller of his active force used by him in all that he does. Holy spirit was used in creation, in the release of the Israelites from Egyptian bondage, in the conception of Jesus, at his baptism, and in the miracles that Jesus and his apostles were able to perform. It empowers those to whom it is granted. Only God and his son and certain authorized ones like his apostles could bestow it on others. It anoints God' sons so that they know that heaven is their destination, whereas others have no desire to go there at all. There is no envy or jealousy that some are "chosen" and others are not. We are all very happy with the arrangement and look forward to Christ's 1,000 year reign over us. Our brothers will do a fine job under the leadership of Jesus Christ in returning the human race back into an acceptable spiritual and physical condition to come before the presence of God without a mediator, as Adam was.

djhwoodwerks

They weren't "churches" but congregations of Christians each with some things to work on and some with commendation. Congregations today are likewise made up of individuals who form a body of believers. Since Jehovah's Witnesses have one universal belief shared by all, there is no contention over their teachings, but sometimes over the individual conduct of those who make up that body. None of us are perfect yet, so we all have things to work on personally as we learn to get along with one another in love and unity.

Please consult the Revelation Climax Book chapter 7 for a full explanation of the letters to the seven congregations.

I think I see now, Jesus sent 7 letters to 7 different kingdom halls, right? Why would He not just sent one letter to the GB and spoke through them, since they are His only channel? Is Jesus bypassing the GB this time? After appointing the slave to feed His sheep, why would Jesus just go over their heads and write to individual kingdom halls?

Yeah, I've read the Revelation Climax book. Any person(s) claiming to be Holy Spirit guided who write a book explaining the truth about the Bible and says,

Revelation Climax book, Chapter 2 page 9

Interpreting the Scriptures
The mysteries locked up in the book of Revelation have for long baffled sincere students of the Bible. In God’s due time, those secrets had to be unlocked, but how, when, and to whom? Only God’s spirit could make known the meaning as the appointed time drew near. (Revelation 1:3) Those sacred secrets would be revealed to God’s zealous slaves on earth so that they would be strengthened to make known his judgments. (Matthew 13:10, 11) It is not claimed that the explanations in this publication are infallible. Like Joseph of old, we say: “Do not interpretations belong to God?” (Genesis 40:8) At the same time, however, we firmly believe that the explanations set forth herein harmonize with the Bible in its entirety, showing how remarkably divine prophecy has been fulfilled in the world events of our catastrophic times.

The GB/WT doesn't claim their publication is infallible just to cover their hind ends in case they got something wrong, that's what they do, cover their hind ends because they are not Spirit guided. Please show me one scripture in the Bible where any Spirit guided prophet, disciple or apostle ever claimed that what they were writing could be wrong. The GB uses Gen 40:8 to try and smooth that claim over, "Like Joseph of old, we say: “Do not interpretations belong to God?” (Genesis 40:8)"

Gen 40:7-8 (ESVST) 7 So he asked Pharaoh's officers who were with him in custody in his master's house, "Why are your faces downcast today?" 8 They said to him, "We have had dreams, and there is no one to interpret them." And Joseph said to them, "Do not interpretations belong to God? Please tell them to me."

The officers said, we have had dreams, and there is "NO ONE" to interpret them." Joseph said."do not interpretations belong to God? Please "TELL THEM TO ME". Then Joseph said, Gen 40:12 (ESVST) 12 Then Joseph said to him, "This is its interpretation:" What Joseph "DIDN'T" say, "and Joseph said to them, "do not interpretations belong to God? Please tell them to me. But I don't claim to be infallible, so if I get it wrong it's not my fault, because I'm an imperfect man." No,he was saying, "interpretations belong to God, I serve God, tell them to me and He will give me the interpretation."

If only JW's would open their eyes and hearts to the word game the WT/GB plays with you. When I read printed teachings like that above, I have to wonder, "what kind of spell does someone have to be under not to see the trickery in those words."

"The mysteries locked up in the book of Revelation have for long baffled sincere students of the Bible. In God’s due time, those secrets had to be unlocked, but how, when, and to whom? Only God’s spirit could make known the meaning as the appointed time drew near. (Revelation 1:3) Those sacred secrets would be revealed to God’s zealous slaves on earth so that they would be strengthened to make known his judgments.

The GB is claiming in the above quote that no one has ever understood the book of Revelation. But in God's due time, by means of His Holy Spirit, He revealed those sacred secrets to His slave/GB. Which sounds awesome, we have actual prophets/teachers, holy men, sent by God to reveal the sacred secrets of the Bible! But, then I read the next sentence, "It is not claimed that the explanations in this publication are infallible. Like Joseph of old, we say: “Do not interpretations belong to God? (Genesis 40:8)" and I think, hold on a sec, these holy men, appointed and sent by God and Jesus, don't sound to sure of themselves. They just said that only God's Holy Spirit can make known the meaning, and those sacred secrets "would be revealed" to God's zealous slaves, which they claim to be, how can they not be 100% sure what they are teaching is the truth? If they don't know what they are teaching is right or wrong, how can I be sure what they are teaching is right? If someone says to me, we are God's only channel, chosen by God and Jesus personally to feed His sheep and only God's Spirit can make known the sacred secrets, and we are Spirit directed, but what we teach may be wrong, I don't think I would take anything they say with a grain of sand. I would never know what is right or wrong.

I have to think, if I took a college course to be a doctor, and the teacher said to me, "I was appointed by the dean and the board to teach this class. I have studied the books and the dean has told me what it all means. But I don't claim everything I will teach you to be right, because I'm not perfect, so if something I teach is wrong, it's not my fault." I would not be taking that class, would you?

djhwoodwerks

The Bible refers to those who are going to heaven, as "chosen." They are also called, Jesus' "brothers".

WOW! Nice way to pick and choose individual verses to prove your point.

If the Bible refers to those who are going to heaven as chosen or, Jesus' "brothers", where do you stand?

Mar 3:33-35 (ESVST) 33 And he answered them, "Who are my mother and my brothers?" 34 And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, " Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother."

Do you do the will of God?

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

Jesus' brothers have a job in heaven, they rule as kings with him.

Really?

Rev 20:4 (ESVST) 4 Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed.

Mat 19:28 (ESVST) 28 Jesus said to them, " Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luk 22:28-30 (ESVST) 28 " You are those who have stayed with me in my trials, 29 and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom, 30 that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The only ones sitting on thrones are the twelve apostles.

Rev 20:4 (ESVST) . Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

So, you're claiming that only 144,000 people, in 3,000 years have been beheaded for the testimony of "Jesus" (not Jehovah) and who did not worship the beast?

Scott C.

Just one guy
I would think that, most likely, they need to proselytize in order to replace members lost to deconversion from the JWs. That is, I suspect they most likely have a deconversion rate similar to Evangelicals. And Evangelicals have to proselytize to replace members lost to deconversion.

That is not why JWs proselytize. They do it because they believe they are commanded of God to spread their message to the world, regardless of how many members they have or retain.

djhwoodwerks

Well, they think the rest of the JWs are going to live on a paradisaical Earth after being resurrected in the future. Everyone else who wasn't a faithful JW just stays dead. The 144,000 are supposed to "rule" with god in heaven (I don't understand it, either, and i don't see what makes those people so much more special than anyone else).

That's not exactly true.

*** w14 6/1 p. 10 What Hope for My Ancestors? ***
Was Jesus promising that the man would enter into heaven? No. The man had not been “born again” from water and spirit, which was a prerequisite for entering the Kingdom of the heavens. (John 3:3-6) Rather, Jesus was promising that the criminal would live again, in Paradise. Being a Jew, the man was likely familiar with the earthly Paradise—the garden of Eden—described in the first book of the Bible. (Genesis 2:8) Jesus’ promise gave him the assured hope of a resurrection to Paradise when it is reestablished on earth.

In fact, the Bible promises “a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.” (Acts 24:15) “The unrighteous” are those who did not meet God’s righteous standards because they were ignorant of God’s will. Jesus will resurrect the unrighteous criminal who spoke with him, as well as millions, perhaps billions, of others who died in ignorance. Then, in the Paradise earth, they will be taught God’s requirements, and they will have the opportunity to prove that they love God by obeying his commandments.

There will be righteous and unrighteous people in the JW paradise. They got the resurrection of both righteous and unrighteous correct, and gave scriptural support for that. But where is the scriptural support for the rest of the paragraph? Why did they not give any?

Even in "PARADISE" the WT claims that some people will not want to learn God's ways and reject the WT teachings.

*** w12 9/1 p. 17 What Will Happen on Judgment Day? ***
Those who died without ever having come to know Jehovah God and serve him will have the opportunity to change and do good. If they do so, their resurrection will turn out to be “a resurrection of life.” Some of the resurrected ones, however, will not want to learn Jehovah’s ways. Theirs will turn out to be “a resurrection of judgment.”—Read John 5:28, 29; Isaiah 26:10; 65:20.

The scripture they give for this argument,

There will be "wicked" people in the JW's paradise who will not learn righteousness.

Isa 26:10 (ESVST) 10 If favor is shown to the wicked, he does not learn righteousness; in the land of uprightness he deals corruptly and does not see the majesty of the Lord.

There will be "sinners" in the JW paradise. There will be people dying in the JW's paradise.

Isa 65:20 (ESVST) 20 No more shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not fill out his days, for the young man shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.

The worst part of the JW's paradise is, now, in this world, satan is the influence of evil, but in the JW's paradise, satan is bound. Therefore, the wickedness of the people in the JW's paradise will come from within them, with no outside influence.

I don't know why they used John 5:28, 29, they contradicts what they are saying.

Jn 5:28-29 (ESVST) 28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

Something to think about! What is different between the world now and the JW's paradise?

djhwoodwerks

Matthew 28:19-20 Tells us to go make disciples baptising them.

My Bible says,

Mat 28:16-19 (ESVST) 16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, " All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,

Jesus told the 11 disciples to "go therefore", He wasn't talking to you and me!

Just like He wasn't talking to you and me at the last supper when He made His covenant with the 11 disciples.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
djhwoodwerks said:
"If only JW's would open their eyes and hearts to the word game the WT/GB plays with you. When I read printed teachings like that above, I have to wonder, "what kind of spell does someone have to be under not to see the trickery in those words."

And who do you have as a substitute for God's "people" today djh? Who is your "faithful and discreet slave" feeding you your "food at the proper time"? (Matt 24:45) He is appointed by the Master so he exists...who is "he" for you?

How do God's "people" extract themselves from "Babylon the great", when they cannot even identify who or what she is? (Rev 18:4, 5)

Who are fulfilling all that Christ commanded? Who are warning about the coming of "Jehovah's day" and the good news that God's kingdom is something "coming" to them, (Matt 6: 10)....not something the vast majority need to go to, in heaven?

When was the last time a representative of Christendom's churches came knocking on your door with this information? (Acts 5:42; 20:20) Ask any of them what the kingdom of God actually is? Then stand back and listen for the 'um's and ar's.
Christendom is a divided and spiritually empty place, but if you wish to remain there protesting about us, then that is your choice. The fact that you need to prove us wrong in such an unpleasant way makes me wonder why? You seem to 'need' us to be wrong. Does misery love company or what?

Those who learn the truth cannot "unlearn" it. Those who know what the Bible teaches and yet stand alone or try to fit into Christendom's teachings can never be truly happy because they know better. They just end up angry and bitter because they can't have things their own way. They want the Bible to say what they want to believe.....but it doesn't work like that.
Separation is required and nothing short of it will suffice. (2 Cor 6:14-18) Christendom is not Christianity. But loners cannot be Christians either. Its a rock and a hard place really....but something has to give eventually.

If you have a vendetta against Jehovah's Witnesses, then there is not much left to say. Go in peace and believe whatever you wish, but remember that the Jews were very convinced that Jesus was NOT the Messiah that they were expecting either. He didn't fit their mold but it was the mold that was wrong, not his fulfilling of the role. Their confidence was misplaced and I believe that yours is too. You can believe that mine is misplaced also. Time will tell then..won't it?

blue taylor

If I am not mistaken, (and please correct me if I am wrong) Jehovah's Witnesses believe that only 144,000 elect Jehovah's Witnesses will go to heaven, while the rest are just sent to the grave along with the rest of us. So if that is the case, why evangelize? Chances are they are not going to heaven, and neither are you. Also, doesn't converting other people lessen YOUR chances of getting into heaven? Your thoughts?
Why evangelize? Because your church commands you to.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The only ones sitting on thrones are the twelve apostles.

Rev 20:4 (ESVST) . Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

So, you're claiming that only 144,000 people, in 3,000 years have been beheaded for the testimony of "Jesus" (not Jehovah) and who did not worship the beast?

First, you say it's "only" the 12 apostles who will rule, and then, you claim it can't be "only 144,000" who will 'reign with Christ'. You seem to be as confused as the rest of Christendom. I guess it's to be expected....you worship a confusing deity. We "worship what we know.....the Father". -- John 4:22-24.

djhwoodwerks

And who do you have as a substitute for God's "people" today djh?

Why would I need a substitute for God's "people" when I am one of God's people? I didn't say substitute for God's people, the governing body believe and teach they are the substitute for Christ Himself.

*** w98 12/15 p. 18 par. 10 This Is the Day of Salvation! ***
10 Jehovah has committed the ministry of reconciliation to the anointed, so Paul could say: “We are therefore ambassadors substituting for Christ, as though God were making entreaty through us. As substitutes for Christ we beg: ‘Become reconciled to God.’” (2 Corinthians 5:20) In ancient times, ambassadors were dispatched mainly during periods of hostility to see if warfare could be averted. (Luke 14:31, 32) Since the sinful world of mankind is alienated from God, he has sent his anointed ambassadors forth to inform people of his terms for reconciliation. As substitutes for Christ, anointed ones beg: “Become reconciled to God.” This entreaty is a merciful urging to seek peace with God and accept the salvation he makes possible through Christ.

The governing body puts themselves in the place of Christ, and what is the definition of Antichrist? Before you say that Paul said it too, please read that verse in your own KIT and see what it says.

antichristos: antichrist, (one who opposes Christ)
Original Word: ἀντίχριστος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: antichristos
Phonetic Spelling: (an-tee'-khris-tos)
Short Definition: antichrist
Definition: antichrist, either one who puts himself in the place of, or the enemy (opponent) of the Messiah.