• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Economics Says America’s Collapse is Probably Irreversible Now

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
And if they can't do it quickly, then most likely they can't do it at all. No business can continue paying fixed costs forever, without some hope of revenue.
Exactly. And this represents a large enough portion of the economy to have a drag effect on the whole.

I am not totally doom and gloom. Things will adjust eventually, but it may take a couple years.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, deregulation is, after all, just another way of saying that we won't allow the (people's) government to oversee unfettered capitalism. That we'll let anybody do what they want, if they think they can win. That we're happy with a zero-sum game.

And even now it continues, as the Trump administration fells Inspectors General like trees in a logging camp.

And in the end, only "the people" can stop it. Go ahead -- eat the rich (most of them will take a lot of braising). What was it you guys said to King George so long ago? "WE the People....?"
And yet, Reagan increased the volume of federal regulation
in every one of his 8 years in office, as measured by the CFR
(Code Of Federal Regulations), & by this measure.....
Reg Stats | Regulatory Studies Center | Trachtenberg School of Public Policy & Public Administration | Columbian College of Arts & Sciences | The George Washington University

One thing we might agree on is that we'd benefit from regulation which
makes economic crashes less likely. But there's little support for measures
I'd say are effective, eg, lowering loan to value ratios.
One recent positive development is the recent tax change which limits
SALT (property taxes) deductions to $10K on one's IRS Form 1040.
This lowers incentive for home real estate speculation (a big factor
behind the 2007 (+/-) crash.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Exactly. And this represents a large enough portion of the economy to have a drag effect on the whole.

I am not totally doom and gloom. Things will adjust eventually, but it may take a couple years.
It may not happen at all.

It may be that China, caring not at all about such nebulous concepts as human rights and happiness, will be the next big thing. I don't know, you don't either, and predicting the future is a mug's game. But one prediction I've been making for a long time, and I'm pretty sure I'm right about -- the U.S. is not going to be the world's most powerful nation for much longer -- if it even is now.
Reg Stats | Regulatory Studies Center | Trachtenberg School of Public Policy & Public Administration | Columbian College of Arts & Sciences | The George Washington University

I want to answer you, but there's too much research needed and I'm out of time...Gonna try to get back, because I think there's stuff we're both missing.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Hi Dad......... :)
Is that your mob?

I'll join up if I can shoot that tank gun........ always wanted to do that. :)
Problem with armoured vehicles (much as I love them) is that they have a loooooong log tail. If society or the major powers suffer anything approaching a general collapse, armoured vehicles won't be operational after a couple of months, maybe less. You might get one or two here and there maintaining limited operationality off scavenged, cannibalised and jury rigged parts, but generally speaking, armoured combat requires a fully industrialised nation state backing you up to be viable.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, her armoured vehicles sat idle for years, indeed, some armoured commanders resorted to selling off vehicles from their fleets to private collectors and petty warlords just to raise funds to buy food for their troops.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Problem with armoured vehicles (much as I love them) is that they have a loooooong log tail. If society or the major powers suffer anything approaching a general collapse, armoured vehicles won't be operational after a couple of months, maybe less. You might get one or two here and there maintaining limited operationality off scavenged, cannibalised and jury rigged parts, but generally speaking, armoured combat requires a fully industrialised nation state backing you up to be viable.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, her armoured vehicles sat idle for years, indeed, some armoured commanders resorted to selling off vehicles from their fleets to private collectors and petty warlords just to raise funds to buy food for their troops.

Yeah yeah............. but Dad's ( @Father Heathen ) got one! Got tracks 'n' ever'thun.....

Biggest gun I ever fired was a One Pound (One bore) punt gun........... wanna 88! :D

Tell you what, you can choose a suitable target, shot type, range...... hell.... you can aim the bloody thing, but I wanna pull the lanyard or whatever..... :p

On a more serious note........ Any country with a collapsed economy or political system sure would be a wild place to exist in, but America.......... with its % of religious zeal fueling moralism together with boxes of guns........ extreme theocracies could pop up all over the place.