• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't atheists seem like atheists?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
And you could start a thread on that? Why are you asking me?

. . . because you made the claim:

Is someone who has a belief in deity, yet chooses to not adhere to a deity, not an atheist? The traditional usage of believer is adherence. That is why when someone says they believe in jesus, for example, we don't ask them, 'hmm yet do you adhere to Jesus? We know it means that.

Which of the many possible variations of belief 'must be adhered to?' It is a legitimate question. The hateful distrust of atheist by believers varies among the believers. Beliefs like JW, and fundamentalist Christians tend to be more hateful and distrustful of atheists.,

Last edited:

Mark Dohle

. . . because you made the claim:

Which of the many possible variations of belief 'must be adhered to?' It is a legitimate question. The hateful distrust of atheist by believers varies among the believers. Beliefs like JW, and fundamentalist Christians tend to be more hateful and distrustful of atheists.,
Atheist or no diffeent than anyone else, humans, struggling etc.

When someone says that they believe in God, yet live like God does not exists, are call 'practical atheist'. What Is a Practical Atheist?

Mark Dohle

True, yet it is all some type of adherence. No one says they believe in Jesus, without some sort of adherence.
I do not agree with that. People can be very thoughtful in how they plan their lives, but actuall thoughtless when it comes to the realm of faith, the soul and relationship with God.

Peace
mark

Milton Platt

You might be antitheistic as well, by which I mean one who considers particular forms of religion to be a net harm to the community. If you would prefer to see the forces behind the Christian church's political agenda in America diminished to level of the Jews and Muslims, then you might be an antitheist. Each of those groups might impose a ban on pork on all Americans if they had the power to do so, but they don't. We can't say that about the Christian church, which has invaded the president's cabinet, and is positioned to stack the Supreme Court, The antitheist want to see that political presence weakened to the same degree as the other religions in America.

This is the attitude that is called angry or militant atheism, but as you can see, it is previously disempowered people that have finally gotten a voice objecting to many aspects of the modern Christian church including, as Shunyadragon documented, the marginalizing and demonizing of atheists by depicting them as immoral people outside of the norm of acceptability in America, but more importantly, antitheists are people that feel a need to defend a cherished American principle, church-state separation, from a political force that has no respect for it. It wasn't that long ago that atheists were deemed unfit to teach, coach, adopt, or serve on juries, and voters apparently still consider us unfit for elected office. There are no openly atheistic member of either house of Congress to my knowledge.

I hope that you will agree that this is a very reasonable position, that it is sincerely held and being constructively offered - not angry - and is in opposition to what are considered bad or unjust ideas - not people. Antitheists are also accused of hating Christians (and God).

I believe there are one or two atheists in congress, unless recent elections changed that (or my memory slipped further down the rabbit hole).

I guess I am selectively anti-theist. I don't care what people do as long as it does not impact me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Anti-theists can be atheists and I suppose they mostly are, with a few rare theists who take that position to god.
The strongest anti-theists are typically some of the theists....just of a different flavor, eg, Sunni v Shiite.