• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't atheists seem like atheists?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Atheists seem like anti-theists. I Don't think I've met one atheist on the forums who didn't seem like a angry anti-theist.

*SHRUGS*
1) Anti-theist is a subcategory of atheist.

2) An anti-theist is someone who believes that there is no God. The only action that defines an anti-theist is them making the statement "I believe there is no God", so if they don't make that statement explicitly you cannot assign them the label.

3) Being angry or frustrated with religious debates doesn't make you an anti-theist.

4) What, exactly, makes a person "seem like an atheist"? How do you expect atheists to act?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Atheists seem like anti-theists. I Don't think I've met one atheist on the forums who didn't seem like a angry anti-theist.

*SHRUGS*
Only thing true about generalizations, such as 'All atheists are anti-theists,' is that they are always false.

By the evidence, many Theists are angry, distrustful, paranoid, and hateful toward not only atheist, but frequently simply those that believe in a different religion, or no religion.

From: Atheists remain most disliked religious minority in the U.S.

"Ten years ago University of Minnesota sociologists conducted research showing that, among a long list of racial and religious minority groups, atheists were the most disliked group of people in the United States. Last month they followed up with new research that shows that Americans still have negative opinions of atheists and the non-religious--and now they have a good theory about why that is.

Their findings are available online in the article “Atheists and Other Cultural Outsiders: Moral Boundaries and the Non-Religious in the United States” (Social Forces). The research team comprises Department of Sociology professors Penny Edgell, Douglas Hartmann, and Joseph Gerteis and graduate student Evan Stewart.

Survey data collected in 2014 shows that, compared to data collected in 2003, Americans have sharpened their negative views of atheists, despite an increase in people identifying as non-religious and an increase in public discussion of non-belief.

The findings of this most recent survey support the argument that atheists are persistent cultural outsiders in the United States because they are perceived to have rejected cultural values and practices understood as essential to private morality, civic virtue, and national identity. Moreover, any refusal to embrace a religious identity of any type is troubling for a large portion of Americans.

Forty percent of Americans view the non-religious--atheist, agnostic, no-religion, and spiritual-but-not-religious--as problematic, even though 33 percent of the survey respondents identify with those categories.

By the numbers, researchers found that:

• 40% of Americans disapprove of non-religion
  • 33% of respondents fall into a broad “religious nones” category: 3.8% as atheist, 3.5% as agnostic, 7.1 % as “spiritual but not religious,” and 18.5% as “nothing in particular.”
  • 27% of Americans say that atheists “don't share my morals or values.”

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

*SHRUGS*

Some are some arent. I mean, as a "theist" I loved being a Catholic. I always will. My beliefs shouldnt allow me to hate anyone I disagree with.

Dont know about others though. Ive noticed on the forums those who dislike theism and/or in faiths that are not theist were indoctrinated. Thats from observation, really.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Atheism is a religion...

"Religious minority"

Yes, though many, including many theists like Jehovah Witnesses, egocentrically deny their belief system is a religion.

The reality of the problem verified in the polls and avoiding foolish generalizations exists regardless of whether you call it a religion, or maybe make up some other 'polite euphemism' to suit your comfort zone,

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Given a choice, atheism seems like a very good choice - No Cookies | Herald Sun

I am not an atheist, but yes atheism is a consistent logical belief, but it does require the philosophical/theological assumption that God does not exist.

The existence of the 'hands on vindictive jealous Biblical God' is indeed problematic based on an ancient anthropomorphic world view.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
. Seem like a angry anti-theist.

*SHRUGS*
Most of us are far from angry. We don't care enough about the theistic viewpoints to get angry over them. That does not mean that conversing with various fanatical theists cannot be incredibly frustrating due to their intransigent, highly dogmatic, fixation.

I am not an atheist, but yes atheism is a consistent logical belief, but it does require the philosophical/theological assumption that God does not exist.

The existence of the 'hands on vindictive jealous Biblical God' is indeed problematic based on an ancient anthropomorphic world view.
Then, as a strong atheist, I run into the latest @shunyadragon post and am almost always impressed with his thinking.

Maybe I just recognize quality when I see it.

*SHRUGS*

Last edited:

Jumi

Anti-theists can be atheists and I suppose they mostly are, with a few rare theists who take that position to god.

Jumi

Atheism is a religion...
What about atheistic religions or people who follow religions that are atheistic? Are they part of their religion or a part of this "atheism" religion that you propose.

"Religious minority"
Look for the meaning behind the words and you will understand why it's nonsensical to hang on to such things as if they were dictated definitions.