• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does this story remind me of "The Producers":

HonestJoe

They did not get it quite right. Besides bilking their own parishoners out of millions they drove themselves into bankruptcy as well.
I’m slightly confused by the implication that the parishioners lost money because the play (and ultimately the church) went bust but it seems they weren’t making any kind of investment here, just making open donations. Even if the play had been a roaring success, the parishioners would be in exactly the same situation and if they freely chose to donate more than they could afford to lose to any charitable organisation, that’s on them. If they were in any way misled or forced to donate money they didn’t want to, that’d be a potentially criminal offence and should be the focus, again, regardless of the failure or success of the show.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I’m slightly confused by the implication that the parishioners lost money because the play (and ultimately the church) went bust but it seems they weren’t making any kind of investment here, just making open donations. Even if the play had been a roaring success, the parishioners would be in exactly the same situation and if they freely chose to donate more than they could afford to lose to any charitable organisation, that’s on them. If they were in any way misled or forced to donate money they didn’t want to, that’d be a potentially criminal offence and should be the focus, again, regardless of the failure or success of the show.
It looks like the people expected to get their money back. But since it was a "donation" they probably would not have any legal recourse even if there was money to recover.

HonestJoe

It looks like the people expected to get their money back. But since it was a "donation" they probably would not have any legal recourse even if there was money to recover.
I really don’t think they did expect any financial return, the statements suggest they donated on the basis it was for God, that it was a way to promote their faith; "They thought it would be a God-given tool to win nations, to change the world.”

This only came to light because the show and church went in to administration and I suspect that brought the reality home to some of the donors. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if similar things happened all over, with people giving more than they can really afford to religious organisations, but we don’t hear about them because the negative consequences will be individual and private.