• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why does the bible contain contradictions ?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Genesis 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Obviously the clean were for sacrifice so they needed more so as not to make them extinct. All we have here is an addition made to original instruction 100 years earlier to take two of every kind in. He still took two of every kind in also and extra 5 pairs of animals considered clean.

lew0049

CWebb
Please show what contradictions you/anyone is referring too. Many of the so called contradictions one finds in the Bible, are not contradictions at all if the text is looked at independently of the surrounding texts.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

What's your point? It's a story.... the allegorical lesson here is what is important to me.

OK, so Noah's story serves as a myth here? Fair enough explanation.

Not in my opinion.

Actually, it's OK. See Deuteronomy 6:13, Deuteronomy 10:20, Genesis 21:23-24, Genesis 47:31, Hebrews 6:13, etc.

Again... what's your point?

Some verses within the Old Testament say that we can eat anything, but others do not.

My faith is not trapped inside the pages of the Bible.... please don't confuse me for a "bible only" Protestant... my Church was around long before the Bible and we don't feel the need to justify every aspect of our faith by quoting a Bible verse. Scripture is to be read and interpreted with "the living Tradition of the whole Church".

Hope you're not still confused...

Oh I believe you. But then where does it come from--in part, ultimately from these very same stories, right? (I mean that not as a leading question; I don't know all that much about Catholicism.)

Jesus came to confirm the Torah, not to destroy it (Matthew 23:2-3).

While Paul abolished the teachings of the Torah (Acts 13:39).

What hour was Jesus crucified??
(Mark 15:25) It was the third hour, and they crucified him.

(John 19:14) It was the sixth hour, and he was not yet crucified

Who bore the cross??

(Matthew 27:32) The compelled Simon to bear the cross of Jesus./ also(Luke 23:26)& (Mark 15:21).

(John 19:17) Jesus was bearing his cross himself.

What did they put Jesus on??

(Mark 15:21) They put Jesus on the cross.

(Peter 2:24) They put Jesus on the tree./ also (Gal3:13)

What did they give Jesus to drink??

(Mark 15:23) They gave him wine mingled with myrrh to drink.

(Matthew 27:34) Thew gave him vinegar mingled with gall to drink.

What happened to Judas??

(Mat 27:5) Judas went and hanged himself.

(Acts 1:18) Judas fell headlong, and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Many earlier sects of Christians believed that it was Judas who died in the place of Jesus, with the contradictions at hand, maybe those earlier Christians were right.

Who went to the grave of Jesus??

(John 20:1) Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

(Mat 28:1) Mary Mag-da-le-ne and another Mary.

(Luke 24:10) Mary Mag-da-le-ne and another Mary and Jo'an-na and some other women.

(Mark 16:1) Mary Mag-da-le-ne and another Mary and Sa-lo'-me.

Angel??

(John 20:12) One woman saw two angels at the grave of Jesus.

(Mat 28:2) Two women saw one angel.

(Luke 24:3) Three women saw two men.

(Mark 16:5) Three women saw one man.

Who was told??

(Luke 24:9) Mary the Mag-da-le and Mary the Mother of James and Jo'an-na returned back from the grave and told the eleven apostles all of what they saw.

(Mark 16:8) Mary the Mag-da-le and Mary and Sa-lo'-me returned
back from the grave, and did not tell anyone anything because
they were afraid.

#1 Jesus' teaching were primarily to the jews to try to regain them, Paul was preaching to the world, where the law of the jews(mosaic law) no longer applied- no longer greek nor jew.

#2 veiwed by different men. most seemed to see simon bearing the cross for jesus or at least helping him. maybe there was a time when jesus was trying to carry it himself and that was what was recorded. either way a cross was carried for jesus to be nailed to.

#3 Im pretty sure that both cross and tree translate the same ie. wood. either way jesus was crucified.

#4 wine/vinegar, same thing, cooking wine is vinegar. either way jesus was offered something to drink.

#5 again a story that could easily be mixed up by word of mouth. either way shortly after his betrayal Judas died.

#6 Mary Magdelene and maybe some other people went to the grave of Jesus. Does it change that someone went to his grave?

#7 the people who went to the grave saw at least one angel.

#8 Maybe they told some people but refused to tell others.

Either way you are getting hung up on small parts of the story and letting it obscure the whole story. I believe these were left in the bible by God so that we who want to find the truth see the truth instead of hanging up on the information thats not as important. all these inaccuracies do not change the fact that there was a man named jesus who came to this earth to do some preaching who was found false by the jews and was crucified for his words and then 3 days later was raised from the day with a final ascension to heaven.He is still being crucified today for his words and message. this is what you fail to see. because you dont really want to believe in the story. Plus God isnt going to make it easy on us, you have to want it. Even during Jesus' time he said that he spoke in parables so only those that wanted to hear would hear. Dont be one of those that cant hear.
all i can say that one day you will find out, i just hope its not at a moment too late.

foa

logician