• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Umm... so the fact that lots of people have read the Bible... that is evidence that you are right and I am wrong?

Yeah, that's the sort of reasoning which I've come to expect from you.
Did I mention a single thing about how many people read anything. I said I have strong evidence and you as far as I can remember have never even attempted to supply a hint a evidence for anything (at the very least none whatever for why your "theology" may be right).

Since your response had nothing to do with my posts why don't you give it another try?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
William Lane Craig, more of a who than a what.;)
30 seconds after I asked that It occurred to me. When I saw WLC the first thing I thought was WTC and then I was stuck with a institutional mindset instead of a personal one.

Regardles the fact WLC (not the WTC) Believing something is anything but a negative. He is a philosophical machine and more aware what is typical of debate and positions that almost anyone.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You’re right, we were discussing what you believe. And you believe that the god you worship is the being most associated with unconditional love, goodness, etc. I don’t see any reason to believe that. My opinion is that you are adopting faith to believe that, in the face of what your Bible actually demonstrates about this supposed being.
It is a fact that he is the most associated with those characteristics I mentioned whether the association is true or not. Your disagreement with my faith is expected and no worth mentioning. That is why I mention what is indicative of it being true (they always fall short of proof but are reasonable evidence). However my main point is not that God is good. It is that actual good and evil are meaningless (in fact non-existent) as a category of truth without him. They become convenient concoctions and cannot be objective truths.

Okay, so does your answer change if we insert your version of hell into my post?
My attitude or person acceptance of God's justice would be affected but I would still be without any standard capable of claiming that your Hell is wrong. Wrong according to what transcendent criteria. Is a fallible and finite mind's (a bag of whirring atoms) idea that it sucks or seems too much capable of judging God? The whole argument is kind of meaningless anyway. Once we start suggesting hypotheticals let's pretend God stuck a knife in a baby would .........?

Your god does not actually allow freedom to choose by the very definition of the word “freedom”. You are supposed to follow his dictates, or else face eternal eternal separation from god. If someone’s holding a gun to my head saying, “Give me your wallet or I will kill you” are you actually committing suicide by saying no? I don’t choose to go to hell any more than I choose to commit suicide in the given situation.
The other day I was surprised to find out what free-will means in a theological context. It means the ability to chose what we desire. IOW it has nothing to do with actualization f anything or the ability to chose that which we would not want. It means if I want to believe X I am capable of doing so. Your not talking about either actualization or will. Your talking about consequence. If I tell my neighbor if he comes over my fence drunk again I will shoot him have I taken his ability to choose to do so away. You are not talking about will. God says X is right and Y is wrong and both have consequences. You may choose either but you cannot choose what results from it.

Maybe my maker should have made his existence more obvious, because as it is, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to assume that “he” exists at all. But if “he’s” all good and unconditionally loving and all that, maybe he’ll understand why I couldn’t force myself to believe in something for which I found no evidence. Or not. Whatever.
This is a fallacy. There is only a lack of evidence if you have justifiable reasons to know that given existence there should be more. History records the heart is far more involved with belief than evidence anyway. The US is full of evidence it is coming apart at the seems in every way. One side says that is the case the other calls it progress. The problem is not evidence it is the lens it is viewed through.

Yeah, it’s like banging your head against a wall, isn’t it? ;)
Don't start agreeing now, it will mess up everything. I have no idea how to cope with it.

They are related to moral truth as we understand it. We are the ones who determine what morality is for us, as we are the only ones around who really care. If we didn’t care about human (and animal) well-being, then we wouldn’t have morality to begin with.
What we care about has nothing to do with moral fact. I care about driving fast and some care more about alcohol that life.

This entire conversation is one long repeat of the same thing.

1. Without God we must invent independently of moral truth (which would not even exist) ethics for convenience based on arbitrary desires (wants, human flourishing, happiness, whatever). For whatever reason you agree with this but just can't stomach it and so constantly redress these illusions and contrivances as moral reality. They aren't. They are the best we can do without moral truths. You seem to think well of course, wait a minute that makes my world view look bad and recalibrate and on and on we go.
2. With God objective moral absolutes exist. Murder is actually wrong, not just a rule produced for social convenience. Now I think you also agree with this. You say propositionally that yes that would be true if God exists, but then think wait a minute that is unflattering for atheism and recalibrate and around we go again.

Continued below:

AmbiguousGuy

Did I mention a single thing about how many people read anything.

Yes. You did. You claimed that your evidence is "750,000 of the most scrutinized words in history."

I assume you're referring to the Bible. So your claim looks like this:

My truth is truer than yours because my holy scripture has been studied by more people than any other scripture, including yours, Ambiguousguy.

It's a simple Appeal to Popularity. A basic logical fallacy. You use it a lot.

I said I have strong evidence and you as far as I can remember have never even attempted to supply a hint a evidence for anything...

Of course you've forgotten my evidence. You can't even seem to remember your own arguments from one message to the next. How could I expect you to remember my evidence?

Since your response had nothing to do with my posts why don't you give it another try?

As I've demonstrated, my response was precise to your claimed position and easily showed the flaw of that position. I think it's why you react with bluster rather than counterargument. Just my opinion.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Murder is wrong because it violates a person’s right to exist. A person has a right to exist by virtue of being alive. If everyone went around randomly murdering everyone else, we’d all live in an environment of constant fear, distrust and disharmony with each other and we’d quickly put an end to ourselves. We are the products of beings who cared about this stuff because the ones who didn’t died off. Did you ever notice that there is but a small percentage of our human population that has no empathy, and that think it’s okay to do whatever they want without consequence? Ask yourself if we accept such people into society or reject them from it.
No murder is wrong because (usually the strongest group of people) said it was, (JUST LIKE YOU JUST DID) for social convenience. You can't define reality into being. You are confusing a rationality for supposing something be declared unacceptable (actually that is very generous, in actuality we can only permit or not) with the foundations for something actually being true. I know you know this to be a fact. You just can't seem to be able to stand letting it be one. How is existence a justification or right for existence? That is not what Jefferson used. This is also speciesm again. You deny other sentient beings the right to exist for the sake of your existence. There are about a hundred reasons why everything you said above is not only wrong but can't possibly be true.

THIS PARAGRAPH ALONE EXIBITS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG ABOUT YOUR POSITION.

Unless we murder a bunch of people, then repent and accept Jesus into our hearts, and then all our sins are forgiven and we get to go to heaven while people who do their best to just be a good, kind person all their life, hold themselves accountable for their actions and never hurt a fly end up separated from god forever only because they didn’t repent. Why is that moral, exactly? Oh that’s right, because the guy who supposedly created the whole thing says it is. And if “he” changes his mind tomorrow and says murdering children is moral then it’s suddenly moral to murder children, no matter what us little humans feel about the matter.
It certainly would be. I would immediately reject and hate that God. Fortunately mine has not nor will change his mind and declare murdering babies is justifiable, which by the way your side of the aisle actually has. BTY what happened to that glorious standard that what exists has a right to exist? IT went out the window with convenience. Again I cannot invent a greater example of proof of a moral systems failure than this. You condemn God for what he never declared justifiable for humans to practice but what your side actually has done, which by the way violates the standards you pulled out of this air anyway. It is impossible to make more morally insane or inconsistent standard than what produced this. I will leave your rants about theology alone for now. They are 100% arguments from terminology.

On that view murder is subjectively wrong, and is the opinion of the boss man derived by his own his preferences.
That is like saying that ice prefers to be cold. It is ice's nature to be cold. It is God's nature murder is wrong. God being primary all the derivative features of the universe (except liberals) inherit this nature.

It’s not embarrassing or inconvenient at all. I’m just wondering how it makes any sense to a rational person.
Among those most rational. Professional ethicists, theologians, and philosophers there exists almost no one on your side that would claim moral truths exist without God. In recent times your side increasing denies any truth exists of any kind. Those on my side al say the exact same thing as I have. So concerning those most trained in reason and logic the overwhelming bulk on both sides agree with me in totality. I have even supplied many of their more famous quotes. I do not believe you do not agree or understand. I believe you just will not accept it or admit it. It is just too simple, too prevalent, and too obvious.

If your god exists, he’s not very good at getting his message across, given the number of Christian sects in existence, the thousands upon thousands of gods that have been worshipped and discarded over the millennia, and the number of other religions currently in existence, not to mention all the non-religious people. Even if your god does exist, we really have no way of knowing exactly what “he” wants anyway. And not only that, but it’s subject to your own sense of morality and your own interpretations. In other words, you’re still viewing your god’s supposed revelation through your own moral lens.
This is another epistemological off ramp. My claims stand even if God never revealed anything to anyone.

And I don’t care how many times you want to assert it is so, but blindly following orders from some ultimate authority is not an exercise in morality by any definition of the word.
This is typical, declare anarchy the ultimate in morality, declare obedience the ultimate in moral corruption, kill human life off by the millions in the womb and demand existence is a right, enslave us all to a government and call it glorious, march the most successful and benevolent nation of virtually every moral statistical cliff there is and call it progress. I guess the people at the flood were the pinnacle of accomplishment. Just as in those days the Bible said in the end times right will be called wrong once again. We can't be far off.

I’ve already done this several times, and in several different ways. One of those times was in the very paragraph you were responding to here.
You may have responded. You have never answered because there exists no possibility of your having an answer.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yes. You did. You claimed that your evidence is "750,000 of the most scrutinized words in history."
Scrutinized means subjected to academic (historical, legal, philosophical) analysis, not read. It includes reading but is not equal to reading.

My truth is truer than yours because my holy scripture has been studied by more people than any other scripture, including yours, Ambiguousguy.
Not quite. My scriptures claims have been validated on huge orders of magnitudes more than yours. That by every criteria in human history makes them more reliable. I do not even recall anything given by you to evaluate.

It's a simple Appeal to Popularity. A basic logical fallacy. You use it a lot.
That is complete crap and you known it. It is the exact same principle used in law, testimony of all types, history, debate, philosophy, and even science. It is accepted everywhere. You are making a mistake so common and typical I need to copy and paste this response. You are relying on a fallacy you do not understand. My claims are not proof claims. If they were a fallacy may be relevant. They are claims about relative sufficiency of evidence are indicative not proof. Get off the dang misunderstood fallacy crutches and walk on your own two feet for a bit. You might be eventually able to run on your own power.

Of course you've forgotten my evidence. You can't even seem to remember your own arguments from one message to the next. How could I expect you to remember my evidence?
Give me a verse and text?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
By "actual" I assume you mean god-endowed. Humans are capable of endowing value on human life that works just as well; and human cultures are also capable of inventing divine commandments which strengthen those valuations.
That would be a source not the definition. Actual means objectively true.

The Christian panel may well tell itself it is guided by a Holy Spirit; in practice such guidance is difficult to demonstrate.
Never the less we have the potential advantage if God exists whether you believe it or not.

And conscience is as readily explained as an evolved property of human brains as a god-given faculty. Do you really believe atheists act without conscience?
Conscience and consciousness is barely definable and not explained by anything natural. No atom or random collection of them can tell anyone the way things should be. Evolutionary ethics are geared for survival not truth if they even exist. I cold easily justify killing every competitor for resources that is not a direct benefit to my tribe by evolutionary ethics and many have. I can justify racism, oppression, and slavery by evolution and many have. What I cannot explain is why so many of our morals are not self beneficial and contrary to evolutionary principle.

You can have sanctity; atheists can endow equally effective value on human lives.
No atheists can't they can endow some people with arbitrary personal value that does not exist beyond your mind. I can give all human life actual sanctity, dignity, and equality that exists outside of everyone's mind. An atheist can invent anything and routinely does so, he cannot make any of it true.

And remember, it is practical outcomes I am concerned with here.
My entire argument was ontological and has nothing to do with application. I have every advantage in that context so you naturally switched to epistemology as every single atheist always will. I went with it because I have every advantage there as well. Atheism is a net loss. I have everything available to you plus.

Is this "historical record of objective decisions" biblical by any chance? If so, you are going to have to pick and choose your justifications very carefully.
And as my previous post indicated, this claimed "absolute justification" makes no difference at all in real terms.
Why would that matter? Is a books title relevant to truth. The bias is rising to the top I see. The Bible is so historically accurate it is a major or primary resource of even secular archeologists and has made a career out of embarrassing historians. But no the historical record is far more than the Bible.

There are very few "moral truths" that have been universally accepted throughout history and ethnography. What was moral to a 15th-century Aztec would not strike you as moral at all.
if you look at 90% of legal codes for thousands of years you will find at least 80% commonality in all their cores.

Yes, our 15th-century Aztec was as convinced that moral truths exist as you or I, and his society relied on them as much as our cultures rely on ours. How does this help your case?
That is why I was talking about foundations not perceptions. I was saying only with a transcendent standard and standard giver are our almost universal beliefs in actual wrongs true. That might not exclude the Aztec's alone but it certainly excludes atheism. I think I am debating an atheist not an Aztec. You do not have an obsidian blade laying on an alter do you?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
WLC is a bit of a twit, imo!
I notice that atheists talk more about Craig than any other philosopher. He is the only scholar I have heard atheists say can put the fear of God into them. Normally you do not constantly discuss twits or non-threats. The US military is geared towards Russia and the middle east not Sri-Lanka. Sometimes I wonder if atheists check under the bed for Craig before getting into it. The same would go for Zacharias, Plantinga, and Aquinas.

AmbiguousGuy

Scrutinized means subjected to academic (historical, legal, philosophical) analysis, not read. It includes reading but is not equal to reading.

Ah. So it's not an appeal to popularity since you label your truth-proving crowd as 'academics' rather than as 'just people'

Oh my. So an Appeal to Authority and an Appeal to Popularity mixed together in the same argument. How interesting to me that your God needs to be defended in such a way.

Not quite. My scriptures claims have been validated on huge orders of magnitudes more than yours.

Well, it's true that many more folks have embraced the Bible than have embraced my own Humble Scriptures. That's because 1) I don't play to base human desires, as the gospelers did, and 2) my scriptures are much newer than the Bible.

People want to believe in heroic godmen who once actually walked among us. They want to believe that they will survive death and live in paradise forever, while those who behave badly will suffer eternally.

But my scriptures are more focused on Actual Truth. They don't tell people what they want to hear, but only what is most probably so.

So the absence of magical claims is excellent evidence that my scriptures are truer than yours. I'm sorry.

That by every criteria in human history makes them more reliable.

Because more people have embraced them? You and I seem to have very different criteria for truth.

I do not even recall anything given by you to evaluate.

Of course you don't. I doubt you spent a single second evaluating my scriptures. So how could you even remember having seen them?

That is complete crap and you known it. It is the exact same principle used in law, testimony of all types, history, debate, philosophy, and even science. It is accepted everywhere.

I'm a little bit of an expert in law, having spent my adult life dealing with various aspects of it. If you think that law has much to do with truth, then I doubt you've had much experience with law.

My claims are not proof claims. If they were a fallacy may be relevant. They are claims about relative sufficiency of evidence are indicative not proof.

That's word salad, friend. I'm a grammarian, remember? You don't even know what you yourself are saying.

Not only that, but we really shouldn't argue with words which we can't even define. That's confusion.

Can you define what you mean by 'proof'? Using your own words, can you define it and then answer a question or two about what it means to you? I'd be most curious to hear you attempt that.

cottage

1. Without God we must invent independently of moral truth (which would not even exist) ethics for convenience based on arbitrary desires (wants, human flourishing, happiness, whatever). For whatever reason you agree with this but just can't stomach it and so constantly redress these illusions and contrivances as moral reality. They aren't. They are the best we can do without moral truths. You seem to think well of course, wait a minute that makes my world view look bad and recalibrate and on and on we go.
2. With God objective moral absolutes exist. Murder is actually wrong, not just a rule produced for social convenience. Now I think you also agree with this. You say propositionally that yes that would be true if God exists, but then think wait a minute that is unflattering for atheism and recalibrate and around we go again.

If God puts it in our minds that certain actions are evil and immoral then it can only be such if God is a wholly good and moral being. But since God causes evil to be possible he cannot without contradiction be a wholly moral being. On that account it cannot be said that there is an objective moral standard, since rape and murder for example are either right or wrong. And if God causes rape and murder to be possible, by whatever justification, then rape and murder are demonstrably relative evils and not a concrete objective standard where in all cases those acts are morally wrong.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
If God puts it in our minds that certain actions are evil and immoral then it can only be such if God is a wholly good and moral being. But since God causes evil to be possible he cannot without contradiction be a wholly moral being. On that account it cannot be said that there is an objective moral standard, since rape and murder for example are either right or wrong. And if God causes rape and murder to be possible, by whatever justification, then rape and murder are demonstrably relative evils and not a concrete objective standard where in all cases those acts are morally wrong.
I do not think you feel comfortable outside of a semantic environment.

What occurs in our minds is epistemology, I am talking about ontology. If X then Y.

Anyway good to hear from you again. To make possible is not to actualize a moral event. To not make possible is to restrict freewill. God desires love, love can only exist where non-compelled. I may allow a child to fall because of a overall morally justifiable reasons but I do not compel the child to fall and I did not will it to occur. God must allow freewill,, this must involve the capacity to chose wrong, this capacity and the purpose of his design necessitates wrong choices include fallout. How do you cause a passive condition to exist anyway? It is possible to allow evil to produce a greater good. This is generally the argument for the problem of evil. To be meaningful you must show God does not have morally justified reasons to permit evil. This cannot be done. The purpose of creation mandates choice, choice mandates freewill, freewill mandates the capacity to choose wrong.

Not to even mention that is necessary to have God to have an objective criteria to call rape and murder evil to begin with. You have to crawl in God's lap to slap his face.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Ah. So it's not an appeal to popularity since you label your truth-proving crowd as 'academics' rather than as 'just people'
So you admit your claim to popularity and appeals to numbers is false for other reasons as well.

Oh my. So an Appeal to Authority and an Appeal to Popularity mixed together in the same argument. How interesting to me that your God needs to be defended in such a way.
Then in this next paragraph claim what you said was not true above is true now.

Well, it's true that many more folks have embraced the Bible than have embraced my own Humble Scriptures. That's because 1) I don't play to base human desires, as the gospelers did, and 2) my scriptures are much newer than the Bible.
This is what is known as conceding the battle but claiming to have won the war. It is not good that your theology is generally unrecognized as true. It is not evidence your right that most consider you wrong. In every debate I see against Craig his opponent at some point does this. They say "well it is obvious I am going to lose this debate but never fear I am still right".

People want to believe in heroic godmen who once actually walked among us. They want to believe that they will survive death and live in paradise forever, while those who behave badly will suffer eternally.
However people do not want to die for a lie if they know it is a lie. The apostles (those in the entirety of history best able to know) risked and lost their lives defending the Gospels. No one wants to invent a Hell they claim they are bound for unless they change either. Wish fulfillment is about the worst possible excuse for dismissing the Bible. People hate accountability and avoid it like the plague. Christians assume the greatest accountability possible.

But my scriptures are more focused on Actual Truth. They don't tell people what they want to hear, but only what is most probably so.
Text and verse please.

So the absence of magical claims is excellent evidence that my scriptures are truer than yours. I'm sorry.
I did not mention magical claims.

Because more people have embraced them? You and I seem to have very different criteria for truth.
Nope that is pretty much the standard accepted for evidential sufficiency used throughout history. Apparently you have never seen a formal debate, never been on a jury, and have never heard of democracy. Only you could claim the fact that more people study and confirming something is evidence it isn't true.

Of course you don't. I doubt you spent a single second evaluating my scriptures. So how could you even remember having seen them?
I cannot evaluate what does not exist or has at least never been supplied.

I'm a little bit of an expert in law, having spent my adult life dealing with various aspects of it. If you think that law has much to do with truth, then I doubt you've had much experience with law.
Simon Greenleaf and/or Lyndhurst has more that a thousand of you and I's experience combined, same with dozens of histories greatest legal minds that agree with me.

That's word salad, friend. I'm a grammarian, remember? You don't even know what you yourself are saying.
I remember you claiming you were and remember me claiming I was not and did not care.

Not only that, but we really shouldn't argue with words which we can't even define. That's confusion.
Then your done I take it.

Can you define what you mean by 'proof'? Using your own words, can you define it and then answer a question or two about what it means to you? I'd be most curious to hear you attempt that.
Since I make no proof claims why would this be relevant?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I notice that atheists talk more about Craig than any other philosopher. He is the only scholar I have heard atheists say can put the fear of God into them. Normally you do not constantly discuss twits or non-threats. The US military is geared towards Russia and the middle east not Sri-Lanka. Sometimes I wonder if atheists check under the bed for Craig before getting into it. The same would go for Zacharias, Plantinga, and Aquinas.

The only reason you happen to notice that is because you constantly bring him up and use his arguments (usually almost word for word).

Mystery solved. :rolleyes:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I don’t think we have the right to sentence people to death for committing crimes. I also see it as somewhat hypocritical to declare that since a person has taken a life, we should take his life in retaliation. If we’re talking about a war zone or something, it’s more a matter of self-defence than anything else and so the reasoning would be different.
That was bizarre and is another typical example of the moral insanity opinion produces. It is a sacred right to kill the most innocent form of human life in existence for the mistakes of others but it is not acceptable to take life for it's own sins and including the preventative aspect. That is about the best and most obvious example of moral failure and ambiguity possible. This is just the very reason that I claim morality without a foundation is about the worst evil possible. If I was to think of the most conclusive example of moral failure this would be it.
You think that it's morally insane to reason that killing someone for killing someone is hypocritical? You think such a view is evil? You think this example is the most conclusive example of moral failure? Wow. Why, exactly?

I now find your view of morality to be quite bizarre.

Last edited:

cottage

I do not think you feel comfortable outside of a semantic environment.

None of this is about me - or you; it’s about the arguments. And ad hominem remarks are just an unnecessary distraction, adding nothing to the debate.

What occurs in our minds is epistemology, I am talking about ontology. If X then Y.

Yes! Exactly that! I’m not making an epistemological point or referring to any subjective analysis of what we believe to be morally wrong but the evident contradiction that I identified if God is to be God. (Can I ask you to read again what I wrote because it appears you might be misunderstanding me?)

Anyway good to hear from you again. To make possible is not to actualize a moral event. To not make possible is to restrict freewill. God desires love, love can only exist where non-compelled. I may allow a child to fall because of a overall morally justifiable reasons but I do not compel the child to fall and I did not will it to occur. God must allow freewill,, this must involve the capacity to chose wrong, this capacity and the purpose of his design necessitates wrong choices include fallout. How do you cause a passive condition to exist anyway? It is possible to allow evil to produce a greater good. This is generally the argument for the problem of evil. To be meaningful you must show God does not have morally justified reasons to permit evil. This cannot be done.

All of the above is a special plea that does nothing to address the contradiction. It is quite obvious that to make evil possible is to condone evil, and actualization was foreseen and expected by an omniscient God.

And “God must allow free will” is a patently false statement. In any case an all powerful God granting free will implies that the ability to choose evil is of a greater moral worth than the alleviation or prevention of suffering, which, with respect, is self-evidently an absurd argument to make for a morally perfect being. And if God lies under no necessity to create the world then it follows that he lies under no necessity to cause suffering to exist in the world.

You say “it is possible for evil to produce a greater good”, but all you are doing there is making evil a condition of your argument. And a “greater good” can be attained where there is no evil!

I’m bemused by the way you state that it is for me to show that God does not have a morally justified reason for permitting evil, when it is for you to address the contradiction. A contradiction is still a contradiction notwithstanding any special plea or argument from ignorance.

The purpose of creation mandates choice, choice mandates freewill, freewill mandates the capacity to choose wrong.

If you wish to stand by that statement (“the purpose of creation”), then I must reiterate the argument that I’ve already given you on that other thread?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It certainly would be. I would immediately reject and hate that God. Fortunately mine has not nor will change his mind and declare murdering babies is justifiable, which by the way your side of the aisle actually has. BTY what happened to that glorious standard that what exists has a right to exist? IT went out the window with convenience. Again I cannot invent a greater example of proof of a moral systems failure than this. You condemn God for what he never declared justifiable for humans to practice but what your side actually has done, which by the way violates the standards you pulled out of this air anyway. It is impossible to make more morally insane or inconsistent standard than what produced this. I will leave your rants about theology alone for now. They are 100% arguments from terminology.

1. Your god apparently condones the murder of infants and children in the Bible.
2. You have no way of knowing whether or not the god you believe in could or would change his mind about anything.
3. Conservatives and religious people get abortions, and in large numbers.

I can see why you might want to avoid it, but maybe you could address what I said now:

Unless we murder a bunch of people, then repent and accept Jesus into our hearts, and then all our sins are forgiven and we get to go to heaven while people who do their best to just be a good, kind person all their life, hold themselves accountable for their actions and never hurt a fly end up separated from god forever only because they didn’t repent. Why is that moral, exactly? Oh that’s right, because the guy who supposedly created the whole thing says it is. And if “he” changes his mind tomorrow and says murdering children is moral then it’s suddenly moral to murder children, no matter what us little humans feel about the matter.

Is a ticket to heaven dependent on accepting Jesus Christ, or not? Are moral works secondary to that?

Last edited:

AmbiguousGuy

So you admit your claim to popularity and appeals to numbers is false for other reasons as well.
What the heck are you talking about? Are you perhaps confused about who said what -- and are countering your own claims? I've seen that happen from time to time online. It's always interesting.

Then in this next paragraph claim what you said was not true above is true now.
Really, you seem completely lost. Have you considered perhaps only dialoguing with one person at a time here? That might help to keep things on track.
Anyway, I have no idea what you are trying to mean with these first comments.

This is what is known as conceding the battle but claiming to have won the war. It is not good that your theology is generally unrecognized as true. It is not evidence your right that most consider you wrong. In every debate I see against Craig his opponent at some point does this. They say "well it is obvious I am going to lose this debate but never fear I am still right".
Again I just have no notion of what you are talking about. Who the heck is 'Craig'?

And you seriously think I'm saying that I am losing this debate? If so, that's just bizarre. I have yet to hear you actually engage the debate. Rather than addressing my points, you write, well... weird stuff which has no apparent connection to my points. Why not gird up your loins and come out onto the field of debate with me?

However people do not want to die for a lie if they know it is a lie. The apostles (those in the entirety of history best able to know) risked and lost their lives defending the Gospels.
And Mormons lost their lives defending their new gospel. And Muslims. So I guess that proves that the Book of Mormon and the Quran are both true, in your view of things.

To me, it seems an odd way to think about it, but whatever.

No one wants to invent a Hell they claim they are bound for unless they change either.
Of course not. First they change. Then they invent a hell to scare everyone else into changing. It happens in various theologies.

Wish fulfillment is about the worst possible excuse for dismissing the Bible.
Oh, come on. The Son of God came down and walked among us, sacrificing himself so that we can live eternally in paradise... and that's not wish fulfillment?

Anyway, the Bible is a confused collection of writings with a 92.5% contradiction rate in its core theology. But my own scriptures have a mere 3.2% contradiction rate, and that's only if you're a picky thinker.

People hate accountability and avoid it like the plague. Christians assume the greatest accountability possible.
Lots of people love to create accountablity for themselves and others. They love to feel guilty and to be punished. The most pious of them sometimes actually flagellate themselves. It's just a quirk of the human psyche. You should read about it.

Text and verse please.
Let me taste your paint, said the blind man to the artist.

I did not mention magical claims.
So even though your scriptures contain various claims of magical doings, that's not a reason to reject them, since you have not personally mentioned those claims so far in this thread?

Your rational thought is not normal, robin. Really it isn't. Maybe you're doing some kind of genius rationality. I don't know. But it is not normal.

Apparently you have never seen a formal debate, never been on a jury, and have never heard of democracy.
Sure. Probably I've never heard of democracy. That probably explains it.

Only you could claim the fact that more people study and confirming something is evidence it isn't true.
I can't tell if you are intentionally making false claims about my position or whether you're simply unable to follow the dialogue. My best guess is some kind of reading-comprehension issue. If you'd like to test yourself, see if you can find a place where I claimed that more people studying a thing is evidence that the thing is false.

When you can't find it, maybe you should ask yourself why you're making these errors?

I cannot evaluate what does not exist or has at least never been supplied.
If you're claiming that I've never offered you my scripture for your examination, you either have a poor memory or else you have some reason to deny what you know to be true.

Simon Greenleaf and/or Lyndhurst has more that a thousand of you and I's experience combined, same with dozens of histories greatest legal minds that agree with me.
Bring one of your heroes here. We will reduce him to a tearful retreat within a few exchanges. Bring all your heroes here. Let's see if they are the Great Minds which you claim them to be.

I remember you claiming you were and remember me claiming I was not and did not care.
Perhaps you should consider caring? If we're having difficulty writing sentences which make sense, a bit of grammatical review might be fruitful. Especially if we are trying to engage other minds with written language. Doesn't that seem reasonable -- to learn how to use the tool which which you try to build and defend your worldview?

Since I make no proof claims why would this be relevant?
I knew you wouldn't try to define it for me, of course. Most of us fling words around which we don't actually understand.

It can lead to some seriously confused thought and writings.

johnhanks

That would be a source not the definition. Actual means objectively true.
And it is your contention that the actuality derives from the source.
Conscience and consciousness is barely definable ...
Who mentioned consciousness? For the purposes of this argument a standard dictionary definition of conscience will suffice: I'll settle for "a person's moral sense of right and wrong, viewed as acting as a guide to one's behaviour."
... and not explained by anything natural. No atom or random collection of them can tell anyone the way things should be.
This is equivocation. I am talking about the faculty of possessing a conscience, not the specific behaviours that conscience directs one toward. Your assertion that this faculty cannot arise by natural means is no more than that - an assertion of your opinion.
No atheists can't they can endow some people with arbitrary personal value that does not exist beyond your mind.
And that works just as well, and is the way societies have been applying their moral codes for millennia. The code work even better, of course, if the culture convinces itself it is absolute and god-given.
if you look at 90% of legal codes for thousands of years you will find at least 80% commonality in all their cores.
I seem to remember you once getting very sanctimonious about not confusing the legal and the moral.
And 80% commonality, even if it isn't a figure you've just plucked out of the air, is hardly surprising given the commonality of survivorship factors between cultures. It would be an odd society indeed (and a short-lived one) that sanctioned arbitrary homicide among its members, or the arbitrary appropriation of each other's goods. It's the other 20% that gives the lie to universal objective morality.
That is why I was talking about foundations not perceptions. I was saying only with a transcendent standard and standard giver are our almost universal beliefs in actual wrongs true. That might not exclude the Aztec's alone but it certainly excludes atheism. I think I am debating an atheist not an Aztec. You do not have an obsidian blade laying on an alter do you?
Again you equivocate. I was not advocating Aztec moral values, merely throwing up an instance of the huge variability of moral codes through time and ethnography. My hypothetical Aztec would have been as convinced as you that his moral code was absolutely right and god-commanded.

Sees

Dragonslayer
So much Aztec hate lol

You know the religious and spiritual traditions of the people were much different than what you would gather from a textbook portrayal of a priest with a freshly removed sacrificial heart....