• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Islam degrade women by keeping them behind the veil?

sister M

Popeyesays said:
The Quran defines modest dress, and neither Burqa nor veil are required by the Quran. Men must wear pants to be modestly dressed. Women must cover their legs and the bosom to be modestly dressed. The veil and its further inflictions were PRE-Islamic requirements mandated by culture and remain so today.

Regards,
Scott
I don't agree with you.
Burqa is not mentioned of course since it is a dressing of more newer age. But veil is mentioned in the Qur'an. The verse that mention that women shall draw their veils over their bossoms, must be taken in perspective how it was worn before Islam entered. The veil was then worn covering the hair and back, but leaving the bossom exposed. So Muslim women, that want to dress modestly, is told by Allah SWT to draw their veils over their bossom too. To also cover it, and not expose it. Of course this is in the situations when this is required.

sister M

Booko said:
In winter in Michigan, I always wore my babushka when going outside.

Now, when it comes to high summer in Atlanta, with months of 96 degree weather and 96% humidity, I think to feel comfortable with anything I my head I'd be tempted to get a buzz cut. :eek: Honestly, I don't know how women here do it, but obviously they manage. I'm sure the nature of the material used would be important.
Yes we manage. It sometimes is very hot but it does not matter, to cover comes in first hand. :)

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
How perfectly con-trite. The overriding message from this strain of Islamic thought is that a woman must observe a dress-code to prevent getting herself raped or beheaded by man-imals. Real men don't have these problems of character, and believe women have the right to wear what they want so long as they are happy and not be harrassed or threatened because of it.
Well, Islam didnt mention a cause for wearing a veil...This was an order simply...
And we (muslims) dont bother ourselves asking why God asks us to do this and that...if it's an order which we dont understand, then He only knows the reason...although it's not wrong to think about it...

But obey, then start thinking...didnt reach an answer?...then just do it (if you have a true faith)...

And I still insist, veil is not weird of...I know many girls wearing them, and never felt uncomfortable with them, even they never felt this way.....just a wear, which looks good as well as being a sign for true faith..

ayani

again, i'd like to throw in my two cents as a woman who covers...

while not a muslim, i cover my head for religious reasons. it has nothing to do with sex or sexual attraction. it is kind of like wearing a prayer shawl for me- it is a sign of my rememberance of God at all times, and a symbolic tie to Him and His Word.

silveraccentspecial1thumb.JPG

Imani-Abdul-Haqq_hijab_03dec06_150.jpg

fullcoveringwhite1b.jpg

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Lots of cultures have women wearing something on their heads to cover up.
Why all the focus on Islam?

even the bible says for a woman to uncover her head is shameful and if she does it in church you should shave her bald! 1 Cor. 11:3-16

what about cultures that require men to wear hats and other head coverings? Is this also degrading?

wa:do

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
painted wolf said:
Lots of cultures have women wearing something on their heads to cover up.
Why all the focus on Islam?

even the bible says for a woman to uncover her head is shameful and if she does it in church you should shave her bald! 1 Cor. 11:3-16

what about cultures that require men to wear hats and other head coverings? Is this also degrading?

wa:do

:yes:

Laila

sister M said:
I don't agree with you.
Burqa is not mentioned of course since it is a dressing of more newer age. But veil is mentioned in the Qur'an. The verse that mention that women shall draw their veils over their bossoms, must be taken in perspective how it was worn before Islam entered. The veil was then worn covering the hair and back, but leaving the bossom exposed. So Muslim women, that want to dress modestly, is told by Allah SWT to draw their veils over their bossom too. To also cover it, and not expose it. Of course this is in the situations when this is required.

The khimar is mentioned and translated as "veil", but the general sense of the word is "a cover".