• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does being pro-life tend to be associated with being religious?

Kfox

It seems like there's this perception or stereotype that being pro-life is a religious thing & I'm interested in trying to find out why this is.
There is also a perception or stereotype that men are prolife as opposed to women, even though there are more women who are prolife than men. When the feminist says a man has no right to tell her what she can do with her body, it pushes an agenda that it is male attitude that is the problem rather than male and female attitude that they are disagreeing with them

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Its never been a legal excuse
There's a reason why verbal contracts, or really any contract that doesn't actually contain written clauses and an intentional signature agreement rarely hold up in court.

You also can't freely give up autonomy, e.g. it is illegal to make someone a slave even if they're 'willing.' And any other forms of consent which involve use of your body, e.g. sex or tissue, can be revoked at any time, no matter how many times they previously said yes.

So consent to sex leading to forced gestation has very little legal premise. Or ethical ones.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In fact, though, both sides of this issue resort to disingenuous oversimplication. The "woman's right to choose" glosses over the right to life of the foetus, just as the "pro-life" people gloss over the fact that it is a woman has to carry this parasitical being inside her and then sacrifice the next 20 years of her life to take care of it.

No more than our right to refuse organ donation "glosses over" the right to life of people needing donated organs.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems like there's this perception or stereotype that being pro-life is a religious thing & I'm interested in trying to find out why this is.

I don't have specific examples, but it seems to be like a popular & standard media narrative.

There are plenty of religious folks who are for abortion rights, but I'm not sure if the notion is that those who are pro-life are just a subset of those who are religious.

I'm not religious, and lean towards being pro-life - or used to be, anyways & the reason I say this is because as a libertarian, I believe that people have the right to consume whatever they want. If a woman decides that she want to take a so-called "abortion pill", or drink some sort of herbal concoction that induces miscarriages, that shouldn't be a crime.

I used to take a radical pro-life position of being opposed to any intentional harm to an unborn child, whether it's through an abortion procedure at a facility involving an abortionist, or the so-called "abortion pill." I have to admit this is a stance I took from when I used to be religious, so perhaps there is some sort of association in a practical sense.

However, I don't think my change in position has anything to do with my move away from being religious; I changed my position because of a self-evaluation as a libertarian regarding my adherence to libertarian principles.

I don't take the position that life begins at conception; life began millions of years ago and has been an ongoing, continuous process. What does happen at conception is simply a new generation of life.

An abortion involves 2 things, not just one - termination of a pregnancy and termination of the life of the unborn child. If the goal of an abortion were to terminate a pregnancy, for whatever reason, and not to slaughter the unborn child (by removing it without harming it and placing it in an incubator, or perhaps transplanting it in a surrogate mother in a late part of fetal stage (not that the technology exists, yet - I'm just being hypothetical, here), then I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would a win-win situation, except for those who have some sort of bloodlust obsession with slaughtering unborn children & I don't care if they don't get their way.

When a pregnant woman takes the so-called "abortion pill," I don't see the difference between ending a pregnancy this way, and any other miscarriage. To me that's just another miscarriage. One might want to argue that the difference is that they know what the effect will be, so it's intentional. So what if it's intentional? How can it be determined when any miscarriage is the result of an intentional act or not? Who decides that?

To me, the libertarian principle that a person has the right to consume whatever they want makes it irrelevant whether or not there's any intent involved.

Another difference between consuming something that can or does induce a miscarriage and going to a facility to get an abortion is that there's a separate actor involved in an abortion procedure. In the case of a miscarriage, that's actually the mother's body that jettisons the fetus, regardless of whether or not the mother wishes to have a miscarriage. On the other hand, the abortionist is using tools and equipment to actively destroy and remove the fetus.

Anyhow, the reason I went through this is because if being pro-life only has to do with being religious, then it begs the question regarding why we have laws against murder and manslaughter (of adults, or anyone after they're born); do these laws exist only because religious folks are opposed to murder & manslaughter, and they created them?

If someone were to say "yes, and that's also a reason for repealing such laws along with laws banning abortion," then at least they'd be consistent; I think people would quickly realize, though, that there's a big problem with doing that.

Bottom line: is being against killing innocent human beings only a religious stance? To me, the answer is no.
I'm comfortable with the statement that there are far more theists, religious or otherwise, pro-choice than there are pro-choice non-religious atheists. Pretty much every secular civil rights battle, including other things like gay marriage, was not won in popular vote by atheists which are in small minority but by secular religious people.
There is, of course, a narrative that religious people are by majority pro-life but I've not found this to be even remotely true, even in the highly evangelical US neverminding the much more secularly religious world at large.

I am also comfortable saying that within the atheistic population division on abortion is less stark than some other civil rights battles which plenty of atheists have been on the wrong side of due to their upbringing and narrative justifications.

But there are absolutely atheists who are anti-abortion. I've met them. But I don't think it's a stereotype to say that their numbers are fewer than pro-choice. (Which I think is also true of religious people at large.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The same with old people. If a 90 years old person, and a one year old girl, both get a disease that can be cured by a medicine that costs one million dollars, and you have to choose, what would you do? Throw the dice, and let fate to decide who bites the dust? Of course not, because you know that the one year old girl has priority.
The 90 year old has already done what they're going to do to break the world. A one year old is a future adult who's going to create troubles, headaches and add to the sum of the world's problems.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
is being against killing innocent human beings only a religious stance? To me, the answer is no.
That's not the position pro-choice people object to, nor the entirety of the position of the anti-choice people, which is not merely to consider abortion wrong for them, but to impose that belief on others using the force of government.

And yes, criminalizing abortion is based in an ancient need to spit out as many live births as possible when men died more often in war, women in childbirth, infants mortality was higher, and people everywhere were dying of infections and poisonings. Social pressure through the church included that every young maiden needs to get married at the age of fertility, she must not withhold sex, they must not use the rhythm method, masturbate, or have gay sex, nobody gets a divorce, and when technology made it feasible, they were never to have elective sterilization, use birth control, or get abortions. That's all there to produce more people and has no place today when overpopulation is problem and modern social democracies recognize individual rights.

And yes again, I've known of irreligious people that find abortion repugnant, but none that want to impose their preference on others. That's almost exclusively a religious position based in the belief that a deity that issues commandments and punishes those that defy them wants that.

I find the idea of having an abortion off-putting and am glad to have never been involved in one (it would be as the potential father, not the patient), but that's irrelevant to my pro-choice position, which, as an atheistic humanist, is predicated on reproductive freedom and keeping the church out of lives of those uninterested in what its adherents want. For me the question isn't about how I feel about abortion but how I feel about who makes that decision - the potential mother or the state working on behalf of the church.
A fetus is like a small child, and its life is a right that it has had since its tiny body had the opportunity to exist.
Nope. A fetus has no rights not granted to it by others unless the law says it does, and even that is meaningless if it doesn't defend those rights.
The participation of atheists in forums like this has helped me a lot to know what they have inside and how they think
Ditto for the theists in the eyes of this atheist. Elsewhere, you wrote, "I have read many atheists saying that human beings are animals. That's not very flattering. What humanism can be expected from people who think that?" That's how a zealous Christian thinks. He's offended to hear that he is an animal, and he finds humanists contemptible for not joining him in his primitive worldview. Humanism is a more evolved philosophy that Christianity, which makes no advances except when humanists lead the way, and even then, not in all Christians. Why are predominantly Christian countries more ethically evolved than Muslim countries that have no use for democracy or women's rights despite having almost the same religion featuring an angry, harsh, judgmental god that issues commandments, demands obedience, punishes, and is very concerned about your sex life? Why are there more atheists and irreligious people in the West than the Muslim world? The answer is that the former but not the latter have been subjected to four or five centuries of humanist influence.

And no, I don't respect Christian ethics. I know that you feel that unbelievers are the moral inferiors of zealous and observant Christians, but we aren't bigots or anti-intellectual. White Christian evangelicals overwhelmingly support Trump, perhaps the most immoral man alive. And why? To impose their faith on others through the Supreme Court. I'm unimpressed.

Last edited:

Dao Hao Now

To which you got the very common sense reply:
I guess you'll need to trace back the history of the pro-life movement then.
And you answer….
Well, I don't have the motivation to do something like this, nor do I see the need.
So you were motivated enough to ask the question, but not motivated enough to look into the question…….
This makes no sense.
Since you don’t apparently have enough time or motivation to look up the answer to the question you claim to be curious about, yet have enough time and motivation to initiate this thread and read through it; allow me to give you a quick synopsis of what it took me about 5 minutes to discover through Wikipedia……
Of the 95 organizations listed under;
“List of anti-abortion organizations in the United States”…..

40 include a religious reference in their name or in the blurb that identifies them.

Of the remaining 55; 27 can be identified with a single click onto their page with a quick skim to be recognized as having religious influence.

That leaves 28 of 95 that don’t specifically mention a religious affiliation, though often include language that one might easily infer religious influence, but giving them benefit of doubt I did not include as being obviously religious.

Only 2 specified that they were secular.

Under the article entitled “Anti-abortion movements” which is redirected to when searching the term “pro-life movement”:

Under the sub title “Historical”:
“In the 19th century United States, Anthony Comstock launched an 'anti-vice crusade' that included opposition to contraception and abortion. He successfully got the US congress to pass laws later known as the Comstock laws that included provisions that made it illegal to send materials used for abortion through the mail.”

For reference:
“Anthony Comstock (March 7, 1844 – September 21, 1915) was an anti-vice activist, United States Postal Inspector, and secretary of the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice (NYSSV), who was dedicated to upholding Christian morality. He opposed obscene literature, abortion, contraception, masturbation, gambling, prostitution, and patent medicine.”

“The United States anti-abortion movement formed as a response to the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton U.S. Supreme Court decisions with many anti-abortion organizations having emerged since then.”

“The current movement is in part a continuation of previous debates on abortion that led to the practice being banned in all states by the late 19th century. “

“Anti-abortion groups like Focus on the Family, Students for Life of America, and Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America are considered part of the Christian right. They call themselves "pro-life" because they are often united in their belief that a fetus is a person that has legal rights. Since the U.S. Supreme Court decision Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, some of these organizations have turned their attention to banning abortions at the state and local level and asking the U.S. Supreme Court to recognize fetal personhood under the Constitution.”

Screaming about something the most doesn't correspond to dominant representation.
It does when “most” of those screaming are the ones “most” people hear the “most” and are also numerically the “most”……wouldn’t you say?
What else might you mean by “dominant representation”?

Of course this is not the same as saying “exclusively”, and yes there are people who are “pro-life” that are not religious.
Since there is not as many and they are not as vocal about it, and those that are very vocal about it and are therefore heard from the “most” tend to be religious and openly profess that their reasoning is based on their religion, it’s only natural that they are typically associated with it.

The fact that there are religious people that hold a different position doesn’t change that fact.

Last edited:

anotherneil

Plenty to respond to on this thread. I'll get back to this thread when I have enough time to focus on it - probably not until this weekend.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The real reason that anti-abortion people also tend to be religious is because people that believe in God tend to believe that we humans should not be playing God. That we do not have the right to decide who gets to be born and who doesn't.

This gives the impression that you haven't met many religious people.

They're often quite happy to "play God." They'll even say that their actions are God's will expressing itself.

PureX

Veteran Member
This gives the impression that you haven't met many religious people.

They're often quite happy to "play God." They'll even say that their actions are God's will expressing itself.
You seem to be ignoring your own stated exception ... that is when they believe they are acting as their God mandates. They do not see this kind of action as presuming unto themselves that which is only God's purview. They see it as acting on God's behalf, not on their own behalf. Which is how they see a woman choosing an abortion.

I'm not suggesting that you agree. I am simply pointing out why many of those who are against the right of a woman to choose an abortion tend to also be people that believe in a sovereign God. Because these two concepts are directly related.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You seem to be ignoring your own stated exception ... that is when they believe they are acting as their God mandates.

... but what their God mandates is an expression of their own views. It ends up circular.

They do not see this kind of action as presuming unto themselves that which is only God's purview. They see it as acting on God's behalf, not on their own behalf.

Oh, I know.

Which is how they see a woman choosing an abortion.

... because other people's abortions offend them personally, therefore they offend their God as well.

... and because their God is opposed to abortion, their actions to oppose abortion are an expression of "God's will."

It's a neat trick: they get to play God while all the time attributing what they're doing to something external.

PureX

Veteran Member
... but what their God mandates is an expression of their own views. It ends up circular.
They don't see it that way.
Oh, I know.

... because other people's abortions offend them personally, therefore they offend their God as well.

... and because their God is opposed to abortion, their actions to oppose abortion are an expression of "God's will."

It's a neat trick: they get to play God while all the time attributing what they're doing to something external.
We all want to be the gods of our own realities. It's not just 'them'.