• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you search for religion?

xander-

I have been coming on RF.com for a while. I'm not really a avid contributer, because I find it's better to read and learn than to rant and rave - and I find most people here alot smarter than me =D

But still one thing has always bothered me. The people who join RF to find a religion. If you seek spirituality, why don't you start by asking yourself questions? Ask yourself: am I for or against abortions? - and the answer will already tell you if you should follow an Abrahamic religion or not.

I like RF.com because people answer my many questions, and people here all like debating and discussing very deep subjects, and therefore very good at it.
But "DEEP THOUGHTS" are YOUR thoughts, not nessesarily your god(s).

So again... why do people seek religion? why doesn't everyone just make their own?

kai

ragamuffin
Ihave become more and more interested in why people believe and what it is they beleive in than finding a religion for myself,

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I make my own, though not for the reasons you listed. I feel that there is wisdom in all religions philosophies and mythologies but have never really found one that I agree with fully enough that I would want to embrace it completely. So I decided to make my own path using bits and pieces from these other things as well as some of my own stuff.

ayani

well, religion offers many things to different people. structure of worship, sense of community, a feeling of connection with something greater than themselves, a pattern of worship to adhere to in one's life.

some folks invent their own religion, others find an existing one that meshes with their own worldview and begin to live as an adherent to that faith. others are born into their religion, and stay there.

others don't like the structure of an organized religion, and seek their own way. through contemplation, often, through insight, through devotion to a Beloved not confined to a religious system. some work out methods of the latter within the context of the former, too.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Xander,

DEEP THOUGHTS" are YOUR thoughts,

You have rightly pointed out that THOUGHTS even if DEEP are still one's own.

Religion is nothing but just a WAY or PATH to reach that point where the THOUGHTS do not arise when the MIND is STILL and TRUTH is there like the reflection of the moon on a still lake.
Personally have no religion as only try and do things religiously.
LOve & rgds

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I make my own, though not for the reasons you listed. I feel that there is wisdom in all religions philosophies and mythologies but have never really found one that I agree with fully enough that I would want to embrace it completely. So I decided to make my own path using bits and pieces from these other things as well as some of my own stuff.

I wish I was able to frubal you for this, but the system won't let me. I agree with you totally. It is exactly how I see things. There is some truth to be found in all things, it is just a matter of finding it and being open to receiving it.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I wish I was able to frubal you for this, but the system won't let me. I agree with you totally. It is exactly how I see things. There is some truth to be found in all things, it is just a matter of finding it and being open to receiving it.

great minds do think alike:D

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I honestly think I've been searching for a religion so that I could find a place to belong spiritually. I've been looking into many other religions finding something to fit my beliefs, not really finding anything. I suppose I'm in a spiritual growing stage, kind of in between. Like a spiritual puberty :p I realize that I'm actually looking for a label, which I really don't like. I hate labels, but for some reason I'm searching for one. Probably because it's also easier to talk about what you believe with people, haha. When people ask me "What religion are you?" it's hard to really give an answer.

Abracadabra

I have been coming on RF.com for a while. I'm not really a avid contributer, because I find it's better to read and learn than to rant and rave - and I find most people here alot smarter than me =D

But still one thing has always bothered me. The people who join RF to find a religion. If you seek spirituality, why don't you start by asking yourself questions? Ask yourself: am I for or against abortions? - and the answer will already tell you if you should follow an Abrahamic religion or not.

Well, with all due respect I'd have to agree with your conclusions about your own intelligence. To use a single idea over something such as abortion as a reason to jump on the bandwagon of any particular religion is quite unintelligent IMHO.

I mean, that would be like saying, "Hmmm, I feel like drawing the line of humanity at conception." And then shrieking, "Eureaka! The entire Mediterranean mythology must be true!"

I just don't see the point to that. I'm quite sure that there are people of all faiths who have various personal positions on concepts such as abortion. Also, the very concept of abortion is not a simplistic issue. I think most sane people recognize that there may be valid moral reasons for intervening in the development of a human fetus. In fact, there's no real reason to limit it to abortion because this is truly a concept of euthanasia in general.

Also, why would I want to choose a God who had clearly commanded people to stone their unruly children to death? And to stone any woman to death who was discovered to be a non-virgin on her wedding night? Or to stone anyone to death who did not respect the Sabbath day?

You're connection between a single concept such as an abortion issue with respect to an entire religious mythology that clearly contains a very violent murderous God just makes no sense to me at all.

On the other subject that people have been responding to, I agree that we should indeed each seek our own 'religion'. Spirit is within us, not external to us. If we follow our innermost intuition we will find "God". In fact, this is actually what the OP has inadvertently suggested by suggesting that if we intuitively reject abortion then we should accept one of the Abrahamic religions. The first suggestion, how you feel about abortion, was indeed an appeal to intuition.

I feel that we should not just look at one thing intuitively and then jump into some dogma. That would defeat the original belief that intuition is something we should consider.

If we are going to trust spirit to be omniscient in our intuition then we should shun all dogma and follow the spirit that speaks to us directly through our intuition.

Like many of the others, I create my own 'religion' because religion is not spirit. Spirit is spirit, and religion is simply tradition. I create my own traditions in accordance with spirit.

To accept a Mediterranean dogma that is based on the concept of a jealous egotistical male-chauvinist Godhead who hates anyone who refuses to worship his ego makes no sense to me. I don't intuitively feel that God is Jealous, egotistical, and certainly not a male-chauvinist pig like the Mediterranean authors of mythology claim.

I also don't believe in an egotistical God who is chomping at the bit to cast anyone into an eternal hell fire simply because they refuse to worship his hateful ego. And I can't imagine God telling me to stone anyone to death, much less my very own children.

So yes, I believe in the intuitive path to a truly omniscient spirit that genuinely represents love. I don't believe the dogma written by a hateful Mediterranean male-chauvinistic culture that clearly used their concept of God as an excuse to murder 'heathens'. And my thoughts on abortion truly have nothing to do with it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Stop flattering yourself. LOL ;)

I like RF.com because people answer my many questions, and people here all like debating and discussing very deep subjects, and therefore very good at it.

So again... why do people seek religion? why doesn't everyone just make their own?

I would think people are generally independent in regards to spiritual perspective and/or practice in that the views relayed by clergy and/or teachers, and lay are not always agreed upon for some reason or other, so in many respects, a person is essentially a sole practitioner of their own religion.

I find organised religion at times useful because some people that you come across that hold similar views (or dissimilar) to yours may also have a perspective that you may not have been aware of, which can be of benefit in some form or other which in turn can deepen your understanding and appreciation. -NM- :)

Abracadabra

Nowhere Man wrote:

I would think people are generally independent in regards to spiritual perspective and/or practice in that the views relayed by clergy and/or teachers, and lay are not always agreed upon for some reason or other, so in many respects, a person is essentially a sole practitioner of their own religion.

Yes this is quite true. Almost all practitioners of 'organized religions' are, in truth, solatariy practitioners of their own views. This is certainly true of Chrsitianity which is one of the most "organized' of all religions, yet the vast majority of people who actually lay claim to the title of "Christian" are actually "Designer Christians" creating thier own personal walk with "God". In fact many of them actually denounce "Churchianity", and/or Catholicism. I personally feel that the most absurd religions are the many conflicting demonations of Protestantism, all of whom had protested against the "Body of Christ" (the Catholic Chruch) and denounced that any man speak for "God" or "Jesus". The basic tenant of Protestantism is that only the "Holy Spirit" can speak for God or Jesus.

Yet the irony is that it's usually the Protestants who do the most evangelizing, proselytizing and claim to have the 'correct' interpretations of the "word of God". So in essence all they have done is reject the formal religion to become Paper Popes of individuality.

I also often question the validity of other spiritualities as "organized religions". I realize that many groups of individual do indeed organize and try to institutionalize their beliefs and practices into 'schools of spiritual thought', but do those truly qualify as 'religion'?

I suppose that's truly just a matter of semantics.

I personally feel that any spiritual that does not claim to hold any 'word of God' is not truly a 'religion' at all, but rather just a recognition of spirital avenues.

For example, I've been studying Buddhism, Taoism, Witchcraft and Shamanism. Many people may veiw this as a hodgepodge of many different ideas, and it is, but for me they are truly all related, even if not through direct interaction, they are related through some fundamental philosophical concepts.

Also, when I study various histories, folklore and mythologies of witchcraft and shamanism, I don't truly think of this as studying 'religion' as much as I see it as studying 'human spirituality'.

I also don't take anything as being carved in stone. It's all valid within the context that it was indeed someone's experience.

I find it somewhat strange that people put so much emphasis on 'historical accuracy" of information. To me that's fairly irrelavent. If a modern person has a meaningful shamanic journeying experience and writes about it in a book that from my point of view that is a historically accurate description because it is indeed the making of hisotry in the now.

The very basis of shamanism is the idea that dreams and vision are indeed spirtually valid.

Well, if that's the belief, then what's the difference whether it's Moses seeing a burning bush talking to him, or whether it's a modern author who has seen faeries in her backyard garden. Both visions are equally valid.

The burning bush that Moses saw wasn't speaking to the modern author, and the faeries that the modern author saw in her garden aren't speaking to Moses.

The idea is to learn what we can from these visions and go off and have our own.

That's how I see it. If there is a spirit that can communicate to Moses (or any other historical figure), then that same spirit can communicate to the rest of us with equal ease. There's never any need for us to put our faith in another human. We should all be able to seek our creator directly.

So from that point of view I suppose we can conclude the following:

Religion = faith in man
Spirituality = faith in spirit

Atheologian

John Frum
I'm looking for him because he stole a bag of weed from me. If you see Religion, you tell him I'm looking for him, and I'm going to put the fear of GOD in that $&@ hole. And tell him I want my Tool CD back too.

Gemini

I was indoctrinated into Christianity through a very thorough brainwashing regime of Christian School and almost entirely Christian influences, so the idea of a Christ-like God is programmed into me and will always operate on a level that I can't access. After leaving Christian School and dropping out of High School, I came across atheists online that I resisted at first, and finally gave into it. I felt a great sense of freedom and perhaps some naughtiness at losing my faith.

Now I've leveled out in an agnostic with very strong tendencies towards believing in a personal God with Christlike attributes, perhaps because of my programming, perhaps because everything he ever said just seemed benevolent and sensible. I have a concept in my head of what I believe a purely good God would have to be like. This doesn't mean I'm convinced that he exists, but that he just might.

My God, for example, wouldn't even send Adolph Hitler to an eternity in unfathomable anguish, let alone a normal guy for forgetting to perform some ritual. I find all the counting of beads, the confessions, all those rituals to mechanical and unnecessary, and the Idol Woship of the clergy and acceptance of the words of the pope as Gods Will to be impossible, since the catholic church is the greatest mass-murdering institution in history. All the lavish temples and gilded decorations don't quite sit well in a world where people are starving.
It's more likely that Satan, if such a thing exists, which I doubt, is pulling the strings of the church. I think Pope John Paul held off from the dark side pretty well, and manage to sleep through most of the later years when he weak with the dark influences. Pope Benedict certainly looks like evil incarnate, so I'm interested to are how his reign pans out.

To wrap it up, I can only accept the idea of a god who isn't so egotistical as to require your worship, as long as you simply follow the golden rule, try to help often and harm as little as possible, and try your best. Just rings true for me for some reason, whether it is or not, I have no clue. The human mind is a web of delusions founded on a delusion

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think they seek religions because they like to pretend that some group has all the answers. It's like they expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter and if they are pious enough and righteous enough their trivial fate will be assure for eternity. That said, I too, am perplexed why some allow themselves to be deluded by those who are selling spiritual snake oil. They could get much more mileage out of their own thinking - if they gave it a chance.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

Some people search religions to see if any one religion is 'right'. That's why I seek religion. I guess I'm also interested in how other people think.

strikeviperMKII

They are both. One of the paradoxes of religion is that it is only you, yet not you at all. You learn who you are by becoming nothing. It is about gaining everything (life, light, understanding...there are many names for it) by losing all of it.

We all have questions that can't be answered on our own, and we all seek the guidance that we believe might answer them. Established religions, those that have been around for a very long time, have much experience in answering these questions. You can tell these from the others because they don't actually answer anything.
Still, they allow us to find what we need. If we all made our own religions, we would be finding what we want, rather than what we need.