• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some today not properly understand the Bible?

Shiner2

Jesus made it very clear why certain ones today do not understand the Bible! For in John 14:6 Jesus said: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Then in John 6:44 he continues: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him and I will raise him up at the last day."
There is a side-point here worth mentioning. Jesus here told us that the only way to the Father was through him. Next he told us that the Father sent him. So how could it be that God took on a body of flesh? God can only be approached through his Son Jesus Christ. Now was it to be true that Jesus was God; it would have been an easy matter to approach him while he walked this earth; but since he was the Son of God and sent by God, approaching him directly would not have gained anyone anything, because he was not the Father, but the Son. In his office of "mediator," and through his sacrificial death he was, and is "always alive to plead for those who come to God through him." [Timothy 2:5] [Hebrews 9:24;7:25] The fact that Jesus has to plead in our behalf to his Father shows that Jesus was not God! One doesn't plead with himself, now does he? Point of fact is, if Jesus was God, here we have an instance where Jesus is pleading or interceding with himself for those who come to God through him. That is rather a silly notion now isn't it? A touch confusing as well. No Jesus was not God, and only those who do not properly understand will teach otherwise. Jesus explained what was wrong with this type at Matthew 13: 13-15 and John 14:16. Lacking the Holy Spirit, as they do, they could never understand a word of the Bible, and this scripture in John tells us that, that is the case! Now, back to the subject at hand.
Now what will take place for those ones who are drawn by Jehovah to his Son? One thing is found at Matthew 13:11 where this statement is made: "The knowledge of the secrets of the Kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them." So the ones drawn by Jehovah to his Son have been granted to understand these secrets. Others are not granted to understand those secrets. That shows what is wrong with those ones who do not properly understand the Bible. They have not been granted to understand it! Once again Matthew 13: 13-15 explains what is wrong with these ones.
One other thing that will take place for the ones drawn by Jehovah to his Son is found at Luke 24:45 which tells us: "Then he opened their minds so they could understand the scriptures."
So, the reason that some do not properly understand the Bible is, because, they have not been granted to understand it, nor have they had their minds opened by the Christ to understand the Holy scriptures.
Jesus described the condition these one were in, in Matthew 13: 13-15 and because of this condition, comes the false teaching that Jesus was God, as well as many other false teachings. That teaching shows beyond any doubt that they do not properly understand the Bible! In description of these ones, Jesus went on to say the following:
"Therefore speak I unto them in parables: because they seeing, see not; and hearing, they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of E-sa'-ias, which saith, BY HEARING YE SHALL HEAR, AND SHALL NOT UNDERSTAND; AND SEEING YE SHALL SEE, AND SHALL NOT PERCEIVE: FOR THIS PEOPLES HEART IS WAXED GROSS, AND THEIR EARS ARE DULL OF HEARING, AND THEIR EYES THEY HAVE CLOSED; LEST AT ANY TIME THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND SHOULD UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART, AND SHOULD BE CONVERTED, AND I SHOULD HEAL THEM." [Isaiah 6:9,10]
So, in that spiritually blind condition, without first having been granted to understand the Bible, and without having the mind fully opened by the Christ, and lacking the Holy Spirit, one would not properly understand the Bible and could not possibly put forth an interpretation of scripture that was correct. Try as they might! Shiner2

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Welcome to RF, ye of the sightless mind. I wish you a safe journey through your path of ignorance and elitism.
Well gee, isn't that the way to treat newbies around here. I for one find his thoughts to be rather well thought out.

Shiner2

Greetings

Welcome to RF, ye of the sightless mind. I wish you a safe journey through your path of ignorance and elitism.

GhK.

GiantHouseKey!
I just had an after-thought on your comment. It would appear to me that you believe that you are one of the ones Jesus was talking about. You know, the ones with 'eyes that couldn't see'? 'Ears, that couldn't hear?" Why else, would you take, which is obvious that you did, offense at that article? That article wasn't directed at you personally! Nor was it directed at anyone else on the Board personlly. All I did was quote the words of Jesus. So in taking offense at me, you're taking offense at the one who actually said all of that. Now, isn't that a strange stance for someone who obviously believes, he, or she, is a Christain, to take? Your "Christian" attitude, casts a great deal of doubt on your claim to being a Christian, if you do, in fact believe that you are. I assume, because your on this Board, you believe that you are. I must tell You, I have serious doubts that you are! Shiner2

Shiner2

Well gee, isn't that the way to treat newbies around here. I for one find his thoughts to be rather well thought out.

TheAmazingloser!
You really are, arn't you, as your name suggests? There must be something seriously wrong with your own mind, to believe GiantHouseKeys comment was 'well thought out.' It is a comment the like of which satan the devil would make. When did he ever think out anything well? Shiner2

S-word

GiantHouseKey!
I just had an after-thought on your comment. It would appear to me that you believe that you are one of the ones Jesus was talking about. You know, the ones with 'eyes that couldn't see'? 'Ears, that couldn't hear?" Why else, would you take, which is obvious that you did, offense at that article? That article wasn't directed at you personally! Nor was it directed at anyone else on the Board personlly. All I did was quote the words of Jesus. So in taking offense at me, you're taking offense at the one who actually said all of that. Now, isn't that a strange stance for someone who obviously believes, he, or she, is a Christain, to take? Your "Christian" attitude, casts a great deal of doubt on your claim to being a Christian, if you do, in fact believe that you are. I assume, because your on this Board, you believe that you are. I must tell You, I have serious doubts that you are! Shiner2

quote=Shiner2; Your "Christian" attitude, casts a great deal of doubt on your claim to being a Christian, if you do, in fact believe that you are. I assume, because your on this Board, you believe that you are.

You assume to much my dear friend: If you believe for one moment that to be on
this forum one must be a christian, then matey, aren't you in for a rude awakening.

Rise up all you Atheists, Muslims, Buddhists and whoever, let's open the blind eyes of this poor soul.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
TheAmazingloser!
You really are, arn't you, as your name suggests? There must be something seriously wrong with your own mind, to believe GiantHouseKeys comment was 'well thought out.' It is a comment the like of which satan the devil would make. When did he ever think out anything well? Shiner2

I believe that he was saying that your original comment was "well thought out", dumdum.

OmarKhayyam

Our shiner does not seem to be "shining". Two major errors and he has yet to reach 20 posts.:cover:

FYI not so lustrous one, many here make no claim to being religious - much less Christian (however defined;)). And many others would argue they ARE religious w/o believing in anything/anyone like your god.

And has already been noted you read quickly rather than deeply. Perhaps you make the same mistake with your favorite book of fables?:eek:

Last edited:

GiantHouseKey

GiantHouseKey!
I just had an after-thought on your comment. It would appear to me that you believe that you are one of the ones Jesus was talking about. You know, the ones with 'eyes that couldn't see'? 'Ears, that couldn't hear?"
Jesus and I rarely, no pun intended, see eye to eye.

Why else, would you take, which is obvious that you did, offense at that article?
I didn't take offense per se, but you are saying that I have something clearly wrong with me. Far be it from me to take offense at something like that.

That article wasn't directed at you personally! Nor was it directed at anyone else on the Board personlly. All I did was quote the words of Jesus.
I know, I know. No hard feelings :)

So in taking offense at me, you're taking offense at the one who actually said all of that.
Nope, no offense taken.

Now, isn't that a strange stance for someone who obviously believes, he, or she, is a Christain, to take?
What made you think that I was a Christian? You have obviously never read any of my posts or know anything about my religious beliefs.

Your "Christian" attitude, casts a great deal of doubt on your claim to being a Christian, if you do, in fact believe that you are.
...I don't

I assume, because your on this Board, you believe that you are.
That's funny... I don't remember when the name was changed to Christian Education Forums... Do you feel that the only religion is christianity? Or, for that matter, christians are the only people who would join this forum?

I must tell You, I have serious doubts that you are! Shiner2
Well me too! :) Thank you for your reply.

GhK.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
There must be something seriously wrong with your own mind, to believe GiantHouseKeys comment was 'well thought out.' It is a comment the like of which satan the devil would make. When did he ever think out anything well?
........... WOW.
I take that back, then. I said that YOUR words were well thought out :sad4:.

How could you not tell? I addressed the comment to GiantHouseKeys, and I said "his comment was well thought out," note that I said "HIS," as in, NOT THE PERSON I QUOTED. Sheesh.

I'm gonna have to stop being nice to people if this is the kind of response I can expect :sad4:.

EDIT: Shiner, notice that people's religion is under their name...
GiantHouseKey Online!
Religion: Aeya
I doubt that "Aeya" is denomination of Christianity.

GiantHouseKey

I doubt that "Aeya" is denomination of Christianity.
Not until Buddhism is ;)

I'm sorry that we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot, TheAmazingLoser. I hope whatever I have said to make you dislike me need not affect our future discussions.

Oh and Shiner2? Welcome to RF. It is commonly known that I am clearly possessed by a real entity known as the devil :rolleyes:...

GhK.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Oh, you aren't any worse than the people I see almost on a daily basis (actually you're better, since you actually have a religion that says something other than "every religious belief is crap" [which would be many atheists interpretation of "atheism]). Now, Shiner2, on the other hand... :(

Humanistheart

Jesus made it very clear why certain ones today do not understand the Bible! For in John 14:6 Jesus said: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Then in John 6:44 he continues: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him and I will raise him up at the last day."
There is a side-point here worth mentioning. Jesus here told us that the only way to the Father was through him. Next he told us that the Father sent him. So how could it be that God took on a body of flesh? God can only be approached through his Son Jesus Christ. Now was it to be true that Jesus was God; it would have been an easy matter to approach him while he walked this earth; but since he was the Son of God and sent by God, approaching him directly would not have gained anyone anything, because he was not the Father, but the Son. In his office of "mediator," and through his sacrificial death he was, and is "always alive to plead for those who come to God through him." [Timothy 2:5] [Hebrews 9:24;7:25] The fact that Jesus has to plead in our behalf to his Father shows that Jesus was not God! One doesn't plead with himself, now does he? Point of fact is, if Jesus was God, here we have an instance where Jesus is pleading or interceding with himself for those who come to God through him. That is rather a silly notion now isn't it? A touch confusing as well. No Jesus was not God, and only those who do not properly understand will teach otherwise. Jesus explained what was wrong with this type at Matthew 13: 13-15 and John 14:16. Lacking the Holy Spirit, as they do, they could never understand a word of the Bible, and this scripture in John tells us that, that is the case! Now, back to the subject at hand.
Now what will take place for those ones who are drawn by Jehovah to his Son? One thing is found at Matthew 13:11 where this statement is made: "The knowledge of the secrets of the Kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them." So the ones drawn by Jehovah to his Son have been granted to understand these secrets. Others are not granted to understand those secrets. That shows what is wrong with those ones who do not properly understand the Bible. They have not been granted to understand it! Once again Matthew 13: 13-15 explains what is wrong with these ones.
One other thing that will take place for the ones drawn by Jehovah to his Son is found at Luke 24:45 which tells us: "Then he opened their minds so they could understand the scriptures."
So, the reason that some do not properly understand the Bible is, because, they have not been granted to understand it, nor have they had their minds opened by the Christ to understand the Holy scriptures.
Jesus described the condition these one were in, in Matthew 13: 13-15 and because of this condition, comes the false teaching that Jesus was God, as well as many other false teachings. That teaching shows beyond any doubt that they do not properly understand the Bible! In description of these ones, Jesus went on to say the following:
"Therefore speak I unto them in parables: because they seeing, see not; and hearing, they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of E-sa'-ias, which saith, BY HEARING YE SHALL HEAR, AND SHALL NOT UNDERSTAND; AND SEEING YE SHALL SEE, AND SHALL NOT PERCEIVE: FOR THIS PEOPLES HEART IS WAXED GROSS, AND THEIR EARS ARE DULL OF HEARING, AND THEIR EYES THEY HAVE CLOSED; LEST AT ANY TIME THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND SHOULD UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART, AND SHOULD BE CONVERTED, AND I SHOULD HEAL THEM." [Isaiah 6:9,10]
So, in that spiritually blind condition, without first having been granted to understand the Bible, and without having the mind fully opened by the Christ, and lacking the Holy Spirit, one would not properly understand the Bible and could not possibly put forth an interpretation of scripture that was correct. Try as they might! Shiner2

You have some interesting points about the whole diety angle, dispite your oppening line. But you quote john in the beggining, a gospel with gnostic thought laced throughout it. Unless you want to quote the gospel of mary or thomous too I don't see why I or anyone would care what's in john.

As for the whole christ angle, jesus never fulfilled the messianic prophicies. He wasn't a christ. Looks like someone doesn't know the bible any better than those he's scorning.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Unless you want to quote the gospel of mary or thomous too I don't see why I or anyone would care what's in john.
Pardon my ignorance, but, er, what are you talking about? I thought the gospels were Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John? What are these gospel of mary and thomous? Are they part of the Bible that the Catholics threw out during the dark ages? D=
As for the whole christ angle, jesus never fulfilled the messianic prophicies. He wasn't a christ.
Could you please be more specific on what prophecies he didn't fulfill? I want to know more about this =O.

Humanistheart

Pardon my ignorance, but, er, what are you talking about? I thought the gospels were Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John? What are these gospel of mary and thomous? Are they part of the Bible that the Catholics threw out during the dark ages? D=

Could you please be more specific on what prophecies he didn't fulfill? I want to know more about this =O.

The gospel of mary and thomous are whats broadly called gnostic gospels. They were not compiled with the rest of the books of the bible, I don't think they were thrown out from it in the dark ages but rather never included, although I could be wrong about that. I mention them because they were not included, but john, a gospel with proto-gnostic though in it, thus it's striking difference from the synoptic gospels, was included. This would seem contradictory and perhaps self serving.

The messiah was to be a warrior king who lead armies to reastablish Isreal. Jesus did not do this.
The messiah was to usher in an era of peace, and bring all scattered jewish people back to the holy land. Jesus did not do this.
He was to be called emanuel. He was not in a literal sence but this was done figuratively so people can argue this one.
He was to be of the line of david from his fathers side. We don't know who jesus' father was, unless you count god, which would discount jesus as this would mean he had no earthly father.

I could hunt down the biblical quotes if you want to look them up yourself.

You know, I just realized this is in the new person area... does anyone know if this kind of post/discussion is even allowed here?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
The messiah was to be a warrior king who lead armies to reastablish Isreal. Jesus did not do this.
The messiah was to usher in an era of peace, and bring all scattered jewish people back to the holy land. Jesus did not do this.
He was to be called emanuel. He was not in a literal sence but this was done figuratively so people can argue this one.
He was to be of the line of david from his fathers side. We don't know who jesus' father was, unless you count god, which would discount jesus as this would mean he had no earthly father.
I do not recall the warrior king prophecy, or the whole era of peace thing, but I do have scripture for the line of david:
Matthew 1:1-16
A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:
Abraham was the father of Isaac,
Isaac the father of Jacob,
Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,
Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar,
Perez the father of Hezron,
Hezron the father of Ram,
Ram the father of Amminadab,
Amminadab the father of Nahshon,
Nahshon the father of Salmon,
Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab,
Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth,
Obed the father of Jesse,
and Jesse the father of King David.
David was the father of Solomon, whose mother had been Uriah's wife,
Solomon the father of Rehoboam,
Rehoboam the father of Abijah,
Abijah the father of Asa,
Asa the father of Jehoshaphat,
Jehoshaphat the father of Jehoram,
Jehoram the father of Uzziah,
Uzziah the father of Jotham,
Jotham the father of Ahaz,
Ahaz the father of Hezekiah,
Hezekiah the father of Manasseh,
Manasseh the father of Amon,
Amon the father of Josiah,
and Josiah the father of Jeconiah and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon.
After the exile to Babylon:
Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel,
Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel,
Zerubbabel the father of Abuiud,
Abiud the father of Eliakim,
Eliakim the father of Azor,
Azor the father of Zadok,
Zadok the father of Akim,
Akim the father of Eliud,
Eliud the father of Eleazar,
Eleazar the father of Matthan,
Matthan the father of Jacob,
and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
Phew, I'd hate to have to be the one who wrote all those names for a living XD.
So assuming you count Joseph as Jesus' father, and assuming this line is accurate, then yes, Jesus was from the line of David.
I could hunt down the biblical quotes if you want to look them up yourself.
Fetch me the ones on the warrior king and era of peace thing, please.

Humanistheart

I do not recall the warrior king prophecy, or the whole era of peace thing, but I do have scripture for the line of david:

Phew, I'd hate to have to be the one who wrote all those names for a living XD.
So assuming you count Joseph as Jesus' father, and assuming this line is accurate, then yes, Jesus was from the line of David.

Fetch me the ones on the warrior king and era of peace thing, please.
Read Zech 14:9; Isaiah 43:5-6 and Isaiah 2:4. And if you'll read the end of the names you quoted it culminates in Joseph, jesus' foster or adopted father, but the relation must be passed on through blood. Thus this does not count.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
K, I'll make sure I read those...

And seeing that you're an atheist, you probably are convinced that Mary was not a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, right? Maybe Joseph WAS Jesus' biological father. Or maybe that's impossible, I dunno... if I remember correctly, she was found to be pregnant before they got married... hmm, I doubt that Joseph and Mary would have been sleeping around with eachother before marriage, seeing that they were both good Jews... o_O