• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do religious people beleive the author of the scripts but ?

TheBrokenSoul

If they even know who the authors were.

It's irony pure and simple.

It's because nothing can be delivered at all in any way that makes it believable. Either by people then or people now.
Well actually I can demonstrate scientifically the possible existence of a God or diety because there is two real genuine miracles that I can't explain . If I can't explain the physics then I very much doubt anyone else can ever .

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do religious people believe the author of the scripts or books but then instantly disbeleive when somebody of modern tiimes claims to be Gods messenger ?
A a news story of turning water to wine, raising the dead or talking to the devil would certainly be questioned, if not poo-poo'd today. We'd demand evidence. But people accept without question all sorts of unnatural events if set in the past, within a religious context.

I suspect these ideas and contextual credulity are instilled in early childhood, before we develop critical thinking skills, reason, logic or any of the rational firewalls we have as adults. They become part of our mental operating system or intellectual ROM.
They're not accessible to review or analysis.

TheBrokenSoul

A a news story of turning water to wine, raising the dead or talking to the devil would certainly be questioned, if not poo-poo'd today. We'd demand evidence. But people accept without question all sorts of unnatural events if set in the past, within a religious context.

I suspect these ideas and contextual credulity are instilled in early childhood, before we develop critical thinking skills, reason, logic or any of the rational firewalls we have as adults. They become part of our mental operating system or intellectual ROM.
Moonshine , CPR , all explainable

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For some it's because their religion says there are no new messengers. I personally don't instantly disbelieve it but examine the message, if it contradicts something previously revealed then I know it's false, but private revelations are not exactly rare and can be really popular and helpful in my religion (and I myself follow some of them from our own era).
How do you know the new message isn't false and the previous one wrong? You seem to have accepted the traditional view as axiomatic.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well actually I can demonstrate scientifically the possible existence of a God or diety because there is two real genuine miracles that I can't explain . If I can't explain the physics then I very much doubt anyone else can ever .
There is no such possibility whatsoever. Much less scientific.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do religious people believe the author of the scripts or books but then instantly disbeleive when somebody of modern tiimes claims to be Gods messenger ?
Jews believe prophecy ended with Malachi, the last prophet. Prophecy will be renewed some time in the future, but certain things must happen for that to happen. Meanwhile, we'll keep saying "adios" to anyone who claims prophecy.

PureX

Veteran Member
The unexplained is just unexplained. It's not 'miraculous' just because you think anything that you can't explain must be a miracle.

TheBrokenSoul

There is no such possibility whatsoever. Much less scientific.
That is simply not true , physics cannot describe where the energy manifested from for the epoch of time . Secondly physics cannot explain where our own neurological reference frames came from .
Both are indeed miracles .

TheBrokenSoul

The unexplained is just unexplained. It's not 'miraculous' just because you think anything that you can't explain must be a miracle.
Space regardless of misguided infromation pre-existed any event of the creation and formation of matter . Space has a uniform value of nothing , 0 . In the beginning there was nothing !
Now if anyone can tell me the physics of how to create energy from nothing I'd like to hear this ?

The fact is , for energy to spontaneously appear , that would require a miracle as nothing doens't have the phyiscs to create something .

Even the big bang does not explain how the high dense state was formed , a scienitfic flop in my opinion .

I can reverse engineer a further two stages before the big bang but it still leads to a miracle .

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

There are many who claim that today. Some are frauds. Some sincerely believe they are.

But "messenger" is not my frame-of-reference. Mine is from the East - those who have realized their identity with the Divine and those that see the Divine. From a bit in the past Ramakrishna Paramhamsa is one example. Ramana Maharshi is a more recent figure

One persons claim to be a messenger is equally has valid as another persons claim to be a messenger in any era .

That is a statement that to me means they are all false. I don't accept that.

No persons can provide proof of talking to God , hearing voices this day and age would get you commited to hospital .

This is assuming that the Divine is a person with no body that you talk with. I don't subscribe to that. With a figure like Ramana Maharshi, to talk with him when he was alive is to talk with God but in ordinary ways. Otherwise, the "voice" of true intuition is the voice of the Divine.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The majority of them were mocked in their own era and disbelieved or just murdered. I don't think it'd be that different now for them. I also think that not all claims are valid and that proof can be provided. Hopefully people are aware that it is usually humans who write.
"Had there been a lunatic asylum in the suburbs of Jerusalem, Jesus Christ would infallibly have been shut up in it at the outset of his career.The interview with Satan on a pinnacle of the temple would alone have damned him. and everything that happened after could but have confirmed the diagnosis. The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum."
Havelock Ellis.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Also to me that's in the realm of 'siddhis' or powers that practicing yoga can give one. A Divine figure such as Jesus would only do that for Divine purposes. Others could do such things for ego purposes and thus have no meaning.

Lain

"Had there been a lunatic asylum in the suburbs of Jerusalem, Jesus Christ would infallibly have been shut up in it at the outset of his career.The interview with Satan on a pinnacle of the temple would alone have damned him. and everything that happened after could but have confirmed the diagnosis. The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum."
Havelock Ellis.

"And he went home, and the crowd gathered again, so that they were not even able to eat a meal. And when his family heard this, they went out to restrain him, for they were saying, 'He has lost his mind!' And the scribes who had come down from Jerusalem were saying, 'He is possessed by Beelzebul!'"

It's a rather common theme. This was also said of Him at the beginning of His career (from where I quoted it).

TheBrokenSoul

What is a "normal" life? :shrug:

Well I will tell you based on what I think God would say

''As I walk the righteous path of life , I will look back to see where I came from and look forward to my destination . Although my past and future positions in life exist in my present , my journey has been transparent without diversion''.

Jesus said , '' Thank you father for thy wisdom , I see the path that branches out is a difference'' .

TheBrokenSoul

Jews believe prophecy ended with Malachi, the last prophet. Prophecy will be renewed some time in the future, but certain things must happen for that to happen. Meanwhile, we'll keep saying "adios" to anyone who claims prophecy.

That which never was true was never true or had a beginning to end . Prophecy is an authors best attempt to neurological influence the observer .

Neurological Reference Frames are born empty of information , they are born with 5 sensors that start to input information into the reference frame .

Humans is such an inadequate term .

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me the problem is if person claims to be Bible God’s messenger, but is in contradiction with Bible God. I can’t believe contradictory messenger.
This blind faith, unquestioning credulity, refusal to look at evidence, and delusional "thinking" is nothing new.

"If somewhere within the Bible I were to find a passage that said two plus two equals five, I wouldn't question what I'm reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and then do my best to work it out and to understand it."
Pastor Peter LaRuffa of Grace Fellowship Church, Kentucky.

Galileo complained of critical academic philosophers and inquisitors who refused even to look through his telescope or consider his observations.
It often takes a long time, if ever, for overwhelming evidence to replace traditional orthodoxy. Religion is not rational.

TheBrokenSoul

This is assuming that the Divine is a person with no body that you talk with. I don't subscribe to that. With a figure like Ramana Maharshi, to talk with him when he was alive is to talk with God but in ordinary ways. Otherwise, the "voice" of true intuition is the voice of the Divine.

The heavens listened to all those that thought , those that thought listened for the heavens but heard the silence , in my own voice I hear my own thought and write down these thoughts .

I have just accessed my Neurological Creationism and spoke to God and that is what God said to write to you .