• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people hate Muslims?

sealchan

If we hold people accountable for the actions of their ancestors, we're never going to progress past the "people in your religion has done violent thing, so you're evil" line of argument.
EDIT: Speaking of Islam, and any other religion too.

Except that if a modern instittution doesn't accept some responsibility for its past then it is left in a morally compromised state. Taking responsibility and ensuring that current belief and practice would not lead to such a mistake again is a useful undertaking.

HonestJoe

If I were to migrate to a Muslim or any country, I would do so with the expectation of needing to assimilate. I wouldn't immigrate to a country who culture/customs I felt threatened by.
Well it's not really about what you (claim you) would do. Many westerners ex-pats go to the Middle East and most of them don't assimilate at all, though generally without that causing any great issues.

Why should it?
Trying to force change further and faster than people want will tend to push them away, not bring them closer. Living within the laws and practical structures of the country you're living in should go without saying but there's no reason for complete assimilation should be necessary (or indeed possible).

I would dislike being expected to accept Christian traditions or beliefs as much as any other. Fortunately it's been a non-issue.
That's because you grew up with them. Merry Christmas and God bless. I'll see you next Sunday.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I thought we were discussing non-muslims visiting mosques how did we end up at UK prisons? I think it would be good if you visit a mosque one day, it would clear up a lot of your misconceptions on Islam and Muslims :)

If I did visit a mosque one day, would I be able to observe an imam during a teaching session?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I tried to have an open mind about Islam but I just cannot except it, even the ones who we believe want peace believe in their heart that the world should be Muslim. To me its a backward belief system that should have changed long ago, just as the evil verses of the bible are no longer practiced by so called Christians, we in civilized countries do not need this ideology poisoning our way of life, which is happening right now throughout the world, we need to wake up before its too late.

The colored parts highlight the hypocrisy on their own.

Also, I find your comments particularly telling given the brand of religion you support. In many cases, I find Satanism to basically be what would result if fairy tales were combined with childish reactionism and lack of emotional discipline. So much for criticizing another religion as if yours were any better.
I'm willing to gamble you haven't the foggiest clue as to what I believe, so I have a suggestion as to the orifice you can stow your straw man in.

With that said, your logic is broken, and you don't seem to understand metaphor.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
How is defending their lands against invaders counts as idiot beliefs?

There's a difference between defending their lands against invaders and strapping on a bomb vest and killing innocent people while yelling "Allahu Akbar". Or throwing gay people off of roofs. Or murdering women for "honor". Don't tell me you can't tell the difference.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not desperately doing anything but trying to speak the truth. My main goal in life is the truth.

As much as I dislike Islam, I cannot ignore the amount of destruction America and the rest of the West has done in the middle east.

But, . . . you don't understand, MD. That's good destruction (the kind that benefits me personally as a representative member of the first world), as opposed to the bad kind of destruction (the kind that scares me personally as a representative member of the first world).

As much as I dislike Islam, I cannot ignore the amount of destruction America and the rest of the West has done in the middle east.

Well then you're just not trying hard enough. Denial is easy once you get the hang of it. In fact, there are people in this very thread who you can take a lesson from.

Really, it's easy as can be, it doesn't even have to make any sense.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well it's not really about what you (claim you) would do. Many westerners ex-pats go to the Middle East and most of them don't assimilate at all, though generally without that causing any great issues.

I find that hard to believe. Not that many don't assimilate but that it doesn't cause issues.

Americans in Pakistan - Wikipedia

Trying to force change further and faster than people want will tend to push them away, not bring them closer. Living within the laws and practical structures of the country you're living in should go without saying but there's no reason for complete assimilation should be necessary (or indeed possible).

Not saying any of this should be forced. Just saying if a country was willing to take me in my loyalty would be to that country. I wouldn't expect that country to have to make accommodations for me.

That's because you grew up with them. Merry Christmas and God bless. I'll see you next Sunday.

Grew up with folks from around the world? No not really. Like I said most of the folks I work with aren't from America.

Deidre

People sometimes hate, what they don't understand. If more people would read the Qur'an, they'd not hate Islam, and they'd stop viewing Islam through the lens of ISIS.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why do you think it's important for Muslims to assimilate? I personally don't think assimiliation is needed, a person can integrate and contribute to society without giving up their culture and religion.

I don't think assimilation requires you to give up your religion or culture. Just learn the language, respect the laws, respect the people. Treat folks equally. Anyone who can do that, I've no problem with them immigrating.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Majority of people don't hate muslims even if they disagree with our beliefs.There's a difference between disliking with a set of ideas and hating someone based on their religion. As a muslim I don't have an issue with someone disagreeing with my beliefs but I don't think it's acceptable for someone to hate me just because I'm muslim.
I've noticed that those who hate Muslims are mostly people who don't have any muslim friends or acquaintances and accept everything that the media says in regards to Muslims. Thankfully the majority of people I met online and offline realise that the majority of Muslims( secular and orthodox) are peaceful people who are living their lives.

Unfortunately, because of the bigotry, Muslims have to go above and beyond in showing support for whichever country they immigrate to. Up to them to step up and show they fully support the country.

Folks come from all over the world to the US and integrate fine. Can do as well as any born here. Why do you think it is different for Muslims? Or do you think everything is fine. There is no bigotry in the US against Muslims?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
People sometimes hate, what they don't understand. If more people would read the Qur'an, they'd not hate Islam, and they'd stop viewing Islam through the lens of ISIS.

Why should I have to read the Qur'an? I don't judge folks by their beliefs but by their actions. You treat me fairly, equally, I treat you the same. There's no need for me to know about your religion.

Smile, greet folks warmly. Ask about their kids. Don't require anyone to respect my beliefs or culture. If we're both open to sharing about it, that's fine but without any expectation of acceptance.

Deidre

Why should I have to read the Qur'an? I don't judge folks by their beliefs but by their actions. You treat me fairly, equally, I treat you the same. There's no need for me to know about your religion.

Smile, greet folks warmly. Ask about their kids. Don't require anyone to respect my beliefs or culture. If we're both open to sharing about it, that's fine but without any expectation of acceptance.
Oh, you don't have to, but if you were to hate Muslims, it would help to understand their beliefs. My response was based on the original question. That's a good point you make though, you can respect people's beliefs without accepting them. I like that!!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Islamic administrations had better organizational power resulting in better transfer of knowledge. The renaissance was already starting in various centers of the middle east prior to Islam.

What happened? What happened to this culture of science and investigation. Where did it go wrong and what caused it's downfall?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Oh, you don't have to, but if you were to hate Muslims, it would help to understand their beliefs. My response was based on the original question. That's a good point you make though, you can respect people's beliefs without accepting them. I like that!!

Yes, but that's what I'm trying to get at. There's other foreign cultures the west is not hostile towards or feels threatened by. Like Buddhism and Asian culture. I know some Caucasians who want to be more Asian than Asians.

What's causing the bigotry towards Muslim culture? It seems other cultures were able to integrate better for some reason.

How many Americans feel threatened by Buddhism. Maybe some Christian folks but not enough to be news worthy.

Deidre

Yes, but that's what I'm trying to get at. There's other foreign cultures the west is not hostile towards or feels threatened by. Like Buddhism and Asian culture. I know some Caucasians who want to be more Asian than Asians.

What's causing the bigotry towards Muslim culture? It seems other cultures were able to integrate better for some reason.

How many Americans feel threatened by Buddhism. Maybe some Christian folks but not enough to be news worthy.
I think the bigotry comes from looking at the actions of a few violent Muslims (few in the grand scheme of things) and equating it to all of Islam. The media does a poor job of separating the two, and many in the US get their news from a 5 minute snippet on face book or wherever, and the bigotry grows from that ignorance. This is my perception of it, without interviewing people, that'd be my best guess.