• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do People Enjoy Attacking Athiests So Much?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In America, atheists account for less than 15% of the population but are often enough blamed for nearly every evil that befalls society. Why do people -- at least some people -- so enjoy atheist bashing?

EDIT: Please do not misinterpret this OP as claiming that only atheists are subject to bashing.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Because they often project their own egos and identity through the concept of god, and so find a rejection of god a personal affront.

lunakilo

In America, atheists account for less than 15% of the population but are often enough blamed for nearly every evil that befalls society. Why do people -- at least some people -- so enjoy atheist bashing?
because it is fun to pick on people when you know you can get away with it :shrug:

nnmartin

well, they are certainly a majority on this forum as far as I have discovered anyway.

To me it seems as if the atheist number one sport is Christian and Muslim bashing!

anyway, atheists deserve some bashing because they always ask dumb questions such as 'can you provide any evidence of God' , or ' how can God be true if he sent a bear to maul children who teased a blind man?'

questions of those kind give atheists a bad name.

they often seem to immerse themselves in pools of silliness.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
People are grumpy sleepers. Pop their bubble and they won't typically thank you for it.

Kerr

well, they are certainly a majority on this forum as far as I have discovered anyway.

To me it seems as if the atheist number one sport is Christian and Muslim bashing!

anyway, atheists deserve some bashing because they always ask dumb questions such as 'can you provide any evidence of God' , or ' how can God be true if he sent a bear to maul children who teased a blind man?'

questions of those kind give atheists a bad name.

they often seem to immerse themselves in pools of silliness.
How is asking for proof of God a dumb question if you dont see a reason to believe to begin with?

And I dont enjoy bashing Christians or Muslims. Dont like bashing in general. At all. What so ever.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We're ultra-smart, hyper-educated, darned good looking & wear bi***'n Hawaiian shirts.
This threatens some.

Trey of Diamonds

I'm an equal opportunity basher. I prefer Baptist bashing as the looks on their faces are classic and most of my family is Baptist so I have plenty of material to work with. My favorite is, at a family get together, mentioning the fact that I would be ok with my daughter growing up to be a lesbian. That alone is good for some sour prune faces but when asked why and I say because teenage lesbians don't get pregnant the look of shock and distaste are priceless. I'm probably going to hell aren't I? :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm an equal opportunity basher. I prefer Baptist bashing as the looks on their faces are classic and most of my family is Baptist so I have plenty of material to work with. My favorite is, at a family get together, mentioning the fact that I would be ok with my daughter growing up to be a lesbian. That alone is good for some sour prune faces but when asked why and I say because teenage lesbians don't get pregnant the look of shock and distaste are priceless. I'm probably going to hell aren't I? :p

Yes, you are certainly going to hell. But with your sense of humor, I hope to join you there.

Random

Is this atheists trying to come over as a persecuted group? Oh the irony.

When I think of an atheist, I always think of Brother John Cavil from Battlestar Galactica.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
That's impossible. Most Americans don't believe atheist exist. :ignore:

Of all the religious forums I'm a part of, more energy is spent attacking relgious ideals then attacking atheist. It's out there, it's just not that prevalent IMO.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Atheism, which is based on what's known, what's logical, and what can be proved, serves as a conflict to Christians who wish to have America turned into Dark Ages Europe. They don't get how someone can possibly reject their point of view, even though none of it is supported by known facts. Christians, at least the conservative variety, are fond of trying to force, by almost any means necessary, their religion onto everyone, regardless of whether they actually believe it or not, and atheists are just smart enough to ask "why?". This, invariably, upsets them, since they have no real answers, or at least logical ones. And, since it's impossible for them to screw up the country, they blame the atheists. Atheists are the reason why America isn't a theocracy, which is their biggest dream, since we all know the Bible says that the Americans are god's chosen. Atheists and their logic and science, who needs them? Even though, if it weren't for the advancements of science and technology, brought to you by atheists/freethinkers, Christians wouldn't be able to enjoy those things which make their lives easier, but that's just nonsense, really. God provided humans with brains, if you believe in god, and atheists are the only one's who seem capable to use theirs, at least when compared with conservative Christianity, and this upsets them greatly. Why? Because it shows the Bible and their beliefs for what they are, just mythological stories, with no real substance, and absolutely no logic to them whatsoever.

Ok, rant over.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You've never heard of a Southern Baptist preacher, for instance, taking out after atheists? I'm surprised, Jay. Astounded really.
Yes, and, given that my mother was born in Mississippi and most of my relatives live in and around Memphis, probably more than you. I've also hear all the world's problems blamed on blacks, Jews, Muslims, Republicans, Democrats, capitalists, unionists, and ignorant Southern Baptists. The OP is low-level rhetorical nonsense.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Atheism, which is based on what's known, what's logical, and what can be proved, serves as a conflict to Christians who wish to have America turned into Dark Ages Europe. They don't get how someone can possibly reject their point of view, even though none of it is supported by known facts. Christians, at least the conservative variety, are fond of trying to force, by almost any means necessary, their religion onto everyone, regardless of whether they actually believe it or not, and atheists are just smart enough to ask "why?". This, invariably, upsets them, since they have no real answers, or at least logical ones. And, since it's impossible for them to screw up the country, they blame the atheists. Atheists are the reason why America isn't a theocracy, which is their biggest dream, since we all know the Bible says that the Americans are god's chosen. Atheists and their logic and science, who needs them? Even though, if it weren't for the advancements of science and technology, brought to you by atheists/freethinkers, Christians wouldn't be able to enjoy those things which make their lives easier, but that's just nonsense, really. God provided humans with brains, if you believe in god, and atheists are the only one's who seem capable to use theirs, at least when compared with conservative Christianity, and this upsets them greatly. Why? Because it shows the Bible and their beliefs for what they are, just mythological stories, with no real substance, and absolutely no logic to them whatsoever.

Ok, rant over.

Thats not really a fair assesment as there have been (and are) men of faith who are also men of reason. I agree that atheist bashing is rampant though. My own cousin is a Christian missionary and rarely says nice things about atheism/agnosticism. She disagrees with my world view, and I disagree with hers, but she is still one of my favorite relatives. I've learned that you can like a person, and live with a person, and still disagree with him or her philosophically. I agree though, if Santorum wins the election (highly doubtful, but still possible) I'm renouncing my citizenship and moving to another country.