• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Atheists focus on the god topic almost constantly?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Especially seeing as they claim not to believe in any gods? Kind of a lot of fixation with something they don't believe in?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Especially seeing as they claim not to believe in any gods? Kind of a lot of fixation with something they don't believe in?

:facepalm: You've been around for a while. Didn't you even start or participate in a thread recently that answered these questions?

jonman122

we're trying to prove to people that they can't go around telling others how to live their lives, or threatening other people and telling them "if you don't believe what i believe, you're going to burn in hell for eternity!"

We don't tell people they should live their lives a particular way, if you believe in god and tell other people you believe in god thats fine, but as soon as you start threatening people with hellfire, things begin to get out of hand. If you're trying to press your faith upon someone, don't be surprised when they come back with logical arguments and facts to disprove whatever point you seem to be trying to get across. and then when you are proven wrong, resorting to emotional blackmail or using red herring arguments isn't an honest tactic for proving your arguments either.

Rainbow Mage

Yes jonman, except not all Theists tell you that you'll burn in hell. I don't even believe in such a place as hell.

jonman122

then why do you worry if i try to tell those people to stop being so forward and to keep their threats to themselves?

Rainbow Mage

Jonman so that's seriously why you personally focus on god topic so much? Is because people tell you that you'll go to hell?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We don't. At least, I don't, and neither does any atheist I know.

I'd say I focus on auto racing and martial arts much more than religion, but this is a religious discussion board, so my discussions here are generally skewed toward religion. I have my auto racing discussions on auto racing boards (and in RL), and my martial arts discussions mainly in my dojo.

Of course, when I'm focusing on and talking about these other things, I don't spend my time calling attention to my atheism, because that's not the topic at hand.

Could it be that you just assume that a person is a theist unless they call attention to their atheism? I think you'd be surprised just how many people you encounter on a daily basis who don't say anything to you about religion are atheists.

we're trying to prove to people that they can't go around telling others how to live their lives, or threatening other people and telling them "if you don't believe what i believe, you're going to burn in hell for eternity!"

We don't tell people they should live their lives a particular way, if you believe in god and tell other people you believe in god thats fine, but as soon as you start threatening people with hellfire, things begin to get out of hand. If you're trying to press your faith upon someone, don't be surprised when they come back with logical arguments and facts to disprove whatever point you seem to be trying to get across. and then when you are proven wrong, resorting to emotional blackmail or using red herring arguments isn't an honest tactic for proving your arguments either.

There is alot more than Christianity out there. I would also say its ignorant to drop all belief in God just because of a concept in ONE religion, even though there are many more. Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Paganism, none of them believe in an eternal hell. God does not necissarily come with that concept.

jonman122

i focus on it because people can't be honest with themselves.

if you had a box in a building, and someone asked you whats in that box, you couldnt honestly tell them what is in that box, you can only honestly tell them what is not like absurd objects such as the planety Mars or a bed made of sleep.

so how can you be honest when your telling me you know for certain that the universe was created by a divine creator that you can neither see, hear, touch, or smell, you can't acknowledge him with your senses.

being dishonest isn't cool.

Rainbow Mage

Jonman but what if I don't believe the universe was "created" either? I don't believe it was created. I think the universe is where even the gods were born from. So again, that doesn't apply to all theists. We don't all claim there had to be a creation for gods to exist.

i focus on it because people can't be honest with themselves.

if you had a box in a building, and someone asked you whats in that box, you couldnt honestly tell them what is in that box, you can only honestly tell them what is not like absurd objects such as the planety Mars or a bed made of sleep.

so how can you be honest when your telling me you know for certain that the universe was created by a divine creator that you can neither see, hear, touch, or smell, you can't acknowledge him with your senses.

being dishonest isn't cool.

The senses are not a very good tool to try to prove that which is above this universe. Also, not many of us Theist say that we know that there is a God. We have proven to ourselves, but not all of us think that we can prove it to everyone. Its a very subjective matter.

Rainbow Mage

The senses are not a very good tool to try to prove that which is above this universe. Also, not many of us Theist say that we know that there is a God. We have proven to ourselves, but not all of us are so stupid that we think we can prove it to everyone. Its a very subjective matter.

Agreed

jonman122

There is alot more than Christianity out there. I would also say its ignorant to drop all belief in God just because of a concept in ONE religion, even though there are many more. Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Paganism, none of them believe in an eternal hell. God does not necissarily come with that concept.

the term paganism jumps out at me, because many people believe the roman and greek mythologies to be "pagan," and that many christian beliefs were taken from pagan beliefs. Paganism isn't a specific enough term, apparently there are thousands of different religions or spiritual beliefs that have been termed pagan. and as for other religions not believing in a hell, i said as long as you arent telling me i'm going to whatever you would interpret as hell, i have no problem with your religion because threats don't go a long way with me.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Nor do I.

I will occasionally respond to one of the myriads of threads on the subject, but that's about it.

If people want atheists to quit responding to posts about God, then maybe they should not post in debate forums........

the term paganism jumps out at me, because many people believe the roman and greek mythologies to be "pagan," and that many christian beliefs were taken from pagan beliefs. Paganism isn't a specific enough term, apparently there are thousands of different religions or spiritual beliefs that have been termed pagan. and as for other religions not believing in a hell, i said as long as you arent telling me i'm going to whatever you would interpret as hell, i have no problem with your religion because threats don't go a long way with me.

Why do you take that threat of Hell to be so personal? So a religion says, "Your going to Hell", say that you dont believe and be done with it. You dont have to take it personally. And most of the time Christians are trying to help, its your misinterpretation that allows you to think otherwise. Though there are many that do tell you that you are going to hell just for fun, many dont.