• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create mortal bodies?

PureX

Veteran Member
I am going to lay my cards right on the table. I am really angry at God because He created humans and animals with mortal bodies such that they will die. Why did God have to create humans and animals this way? If I think about it for very long I hate God for what He did, but what other choices did He have? I don’t know because I am not God, but is God is All-Knowing and All-Powerful so I tend to think it did not have to be this way. The more I type the angrier I become. :mad:

Obviously, God created it this way for a reason, so according to believers I am just supposed to accept that there was a reason and not complain, but I am going to complain because death has caused undue suffering for so many people, because there is nothing worse than losing a loved one, nothing.

I know that some Christians believe it was not supposed to be this way at least for humans, until Adam and Eve sinned, but I do not believe that bodies ever could have lived forever because they were not created to me immortal, so living forever in a physical body is absurd to me. But what is the other option? Death.

Now, let’s try to pretend that people are not afraid of dying. :rolleyes:

If that is true, why all the fear of Covid-19, why the masks and social distancing, closing schools and businesses and basically shutting down economies all over the world? Let’s get real folks; people are terrified of death, even though most people believe in an afterlife. Most people enjoy life and they do not want to die, no matter how great heaven might be.

When Covid-19 first hit, I was not afraid at all, and I wondered why people were so fearful. I was never afraid because I am not afraid of my own death, since I have a pretty good idea where I am headed and I know it is not the end of me, but rather just a new beginning in another world, a world that is much better than this hellhole.

I am going to lay some more cards on the table. I have lost all my loved ones to death, first my father, then my sister and then my mother. I think my brother is still alive but I never talk to him anymore. I never had any children so all I have left is my husband, and he is 10 years older than me so he will probably die before I die. But that does not bother me as much as when my cats die because I know where my husband is going and I know I will see him again. I do not know where my cats are going, if anywhere, and I do not know if I will ever see my cats again because that was never revealed in any scriptures. Some people think it is in scriptures that animals have no spirit that lives on so they expire at death but that is just their interpretation.

I have lost so many cats in the last 23 years I have lost track of the number, but it is probably more than 30. If you want to you can blame me for having so many cats, but I already know I risk loss by having so many cats, I am not an idiot. So go ahead and blame me, I cannot feel much worse than I already feel. :( I know I run the risk of criticism by posting this, but it finally came down to this because I cannot go on like this anymore, feeling completely alone.

My husband is the only one who knows our situation and how I suffer and how it has nearly destroyed me so many times. But he does not really understand how I feel because he is very different when it comes to death and loss. He never even got sad or cried when either of his parents died, it was just like any other day; his only sister died about a week ago and he never got sad or cried. It is the same way when a cat dies. He is like a stone. I finally had to get a counselor again after five years of not having one, because it got so bad last January.

I am not going to go into any details about what happened to the cats or what has happened more recently because it is just too horrible, unimaginable. I will sometimes talk about it in private but only with people who want to know, people I trust. Unfortunately, nice as she is, by new counselor is not much help to me, but it is better than having nobody to talk to, even though I can only talk on the phone now because of Covid-19 restrictions and I cannot get regular appointments.

But where the hell is God when you need Him? Nowhere. The only help I have ever gotten is from kind and compassionate people, some of whom are on this forum. God is nowhere to be found. Sorry, I am not buying off on that God is working through these people because the people deserve the credit, not God. Interestingly, most of these kind and compassionate people have been atheists.

Now is the time for all the believers to blame me for not having God at my side because I am “shutting God out,” as if they could ever know that is what I am doing. Besides, if God is really All-Powerful and All-Loving, God could get in even if I am shutting Him out.

I rest my case. ;)
What was it that you needed God to do for you that you could not have done for yourself?

Let me put this another way. I found you question intriguing: why didnlt God just make us immortal in the first place, if we were going to end up being immortal, anyway? And of course I have no way of knowing what God might be thinking, but I surmise that we are given the experience of mortality to help us learn something that we need to know when we become immortal. So what might that be?

I don't know. Maybe God wants us to learn to truly appreciate the gift of immortality, and we couldn't do that without having it taken away from us for a time. And especially without our experiencing someone ELSE being taken away from us for a time. Someone we care about even more than ourselves. To lose THEM is truly to know what mortality is, and means. And thereby, later on, what a gift immortality really is. Especially with and for our loved ones.

The pain is for learning appreciation, perhaps.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What was it that you needed God to do for you that you could not have done for yourself?
There are lots of things I cannot do for myself, but I don't expect God to do them, although I could use a little help once in a while.
Let me put this another way. I found you question intriguing: why didnlt God just make us immortal in the first place, if we were going to end up being immortal, anyway? And of course I have no way of knowing what God might be thinking, but I surmise that we are given the experience of mortality to help us learn something that we need to know when we become immortal. So what might that be?
Please note that I posted this thread over three years ago, and I have done a lot of growing through suffering since that time. I can concede to that suffering helps us grow spiritually but I do not believe an All-Loving God would allow so much suffering in this world, and I am not referring to only my own suffering as I am pretty sure that lots of people suffer much more than I do.

Regarding God making us mortal, it is obvious to me why humans and animals had to be created mortal such that they would eventually die. If nobody ever died no new people or animals could ever be born since the earth could not sustain the population. But just knowing that is true does not change my feelings about death or God.

I believe that we are given the experience of mortality to help us learn something that we will need to know when we become immortal. I believe we are put in mortal bodies to experience this earthly life in order to acquire the spiritual qualities we will need in the spiritual world.
I don't know. Maybe God wants us to learn to truly appreciate the gift of immortality, and we couldn't do that without having it taken away from us for a time. And especially without our experiencing someone ELSE being taken away from us for a time. Someone we care about even more than ourselves. To lose THEM is truly to know what mortality is, and means. And thereby, later on, what a gift immortality really is. Especially with and for our loved ones.
I believe I know what immortality really is, for me an my loved ones. That helps a little but it is not a panacea. That person or animal is gone from my presence and I don't really KNOW that I will see them again.

Nothing is much worse than Christians who say "he is in heaven now and you will be with him when he dies." My answer is so what? My other comment is that nobody really knows if we will see our loved ones when we die, so it is only a hope, a faith-based belief.
Perhaps that is true, but some people cannot withstand the pain, and they do not appreciate it. I have been able to withstand it somehow but I cannot say I appreciate it or thank God for it as many believers do. But maybe those believers have not experienced as many losses as I have, I highly doubt that.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

I kinda liked life and never wanted to die. I didn't know before I studied the Bible why we have to die. I was born as a female and look forward to staying in life that way. Immortal bodies was never a thought in my younger mind but however it works out I look forward to and hope to live forever one day. Not a 24 hour day but starting one day to live unending wonderful 24 hour days.

ppp

Obviously I am referring to people in general, try to keep up.
Obviously. And obviously I am saying that position is wrong for people in general. It is only true for people who live in cultures and subcultures with surplus. People without surplus food, and people who deal with food scarcity are the people in general. They eat to survive.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Why did God create mortal bodies?

We have already now too many people on the earth, just imagine all were immortal. Seems to me a Master Plan.
The reason God made mortal fleshly bodies is because He wanted to. But the Bible says that at a certain point some will not automatically die. We can look forward to continuing life in a perfect healthy body. Regardless of how I view my body I'd rather live than die. Without the signs of deteriorating. Revelation 21:1-5 helps to put this in place.

ppp

The reason God made mortal fleshly bodies is because He wanted to. But the Bible says that at a certain point some will not automatically die. We can look forward to continuing life in a perfect healthy body. Regardless of how I view my body I'd rather live than die. Without the signs of deteriorating. Revelation 21:1-5 helps to put this in place.
WHy did he want to do anything? Assuming that your version of God is a perfect being, why would a perfect being make any change, ever? His current state would necessarily be perfect and with no needs or desires for change.

Obviously. And obviously I am saying that position is wrong for people in general. It is only true for people who live in cultures and subcultures with surplus. People without surplus food, and people who deal with food scarcity are the people in general. They eat to survive.
It has also been pointed out we are not just talking about food.
Many people may eat to survive but it’s not in balance, not even close.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I am going to lay my cards right on the table. I am really angry at God because He created humans and animals with mortal bodies such that they will die.
If the soul survives, what is the problem?

Ciao

- viole

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If the soul survives, what is the problem?

Ciao

- viole
It is not my own soul that I am concerned about...

When the body of a a loved one dies I am separated from the one who I love and I don't really know if I will ever see them again.
Even if I 'believe' they have a soul that continues to exist that is not much solace since I am separated from them NOW.
Even if I 'believe' I will see them again that is not much solace since I am separated from them NOW.

However, I have not bought off on all the promises in the Bible about seeing our loved ones in heaven, and I am not even sure if the Bible says that. People just make stuff up because they want to believe it. Nobody knows what happens when we die. We don't even know if we will go to heaven.