• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create homosexuality?

Lain

That argument makes no sense in the context of our conversation, sorry.
Same sex attraction is not the absence of heterosexuality in the manner that evil is the absence of good. They are not polar opposites conceptually, but different expressions/instances of the same underlying principle (sexual attraction).

I was referring to your statement with the force being part of creation. As the Scriptures say "God did not make death." I would agree with you somewhat about expressions, although what people call homosexuality is in my opinion (let all said above and below be my opinion and considered only as that) just disorder in excess of that principle, but is not fundamentally other than it as you said. Sexuality being perfectly said in Psalm 127 [128 in Hebrew] to me, less being disordered and more being disordered, that there is the perfect balance and mark (excluding here the topic of virginity which goes beyond).

Koldo

Outstanding Member
People have countless innate desires that need to be curbed, irrespective of how and where that they are derived from. Certain persons have anger or greed issues, children have to be curbed from their desires of selfishness or frivolity, some have to control their impulses towards gluttony or promiscuity. All desires and attractions are not from God, neither are they intrinsic nor incontrollable. No one is born into this world perfect, mature, grounded or in control, we all have to train ourselves to be disciplined, responsible, self-controlled and respectful (just for starters).

As much as a person prone to aggression must refrain from his desires, so does a one who finds themselves attracted to certain sexual perversions - hetero or homosexuals alike. Homosexuality is an unhealthy lifestyle, as much as promiscuity or S&M, or any other sexual practice that is not derived from love for the person, and reverence for the Creator's design and purpose for the universe and all that it contains.

There is quite a distinction to be made here: people don't become heterosexual by training themselves to be disciplined, respectful, responsible and self-controlled.

It doesn't work like that. That should be enough of a hint that homosexuality shouldn't be grouped up with gluttony, anger or greed issues.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I was referring to your statement with the force being part of creation.
Well, sexual attraction is very clearly part of creation, the question is only where it comes from, if not from your God.
As the Scriptures say "God did not make death." I would agree with you somewhat about expressions, although what people call homosexuality is in my opinion (let all said above and below be my opinion and considered only as that) just disorder in excess of that principle, but is not fundamentally other than it as you said. Sexuality being perfectly said in Psalm 127 [128 in Hebrew] to me, less being disordered and more being disordered, that there is the perfect balance and mark (excluding here the topic of virginity which goes beyond).
You still can't explain where it comes from, if not from God. If expressions of sexuality you personally disapprove did not come from God and are not the product of free willed decisions, then where do they come from - and, of equal importance, why are people still being held responsible for something that is not their choice?

Lain

Well, sexual attraction is very clearly part of creation, the question is only where it comes from, if not from your God.

You still can't explain where it comes from, if not from God. If expressions of sexuality you personally disapprove did not come from God and are not the product of free willed decisions, then where do they come from - and, of equal importance, why are people still being held responsible for something that is not their choice?

I was not referring to sexual attraction as a whole but deficiencies in it. Yes sexual attraction exists.

I did not say that desires can't be the product of decisions, they can be, it's just they don't have to be. They can come from a variety of sources. They can come from us (like my innate desire to avoid death comes from within and pushes me to avoid certain things), the world (like when you see someone with something and then you want it, that came from without), God (such as the desire for Him), demons (such as temptations to our corrupt nature), and so on (or maybe that really is all).

The mere presence of a desire is not a fault or responsibility, only knowing choices are faults or responsibilities in a moral sense.

Lain

Unless heterosexual is something that "develops" in people, homosexuality doesn't either.

You're born hardwired for attraction to some people and not others. Simple biology.

I think the sexuality of all individuals develops over their life. I only have myself as a direct experience but that was the case for me. It has been very interesting to observe, it's still changing.

How is this inborn hardwired attraction proven?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It is not my belief that they are born this way, and I don't really like the terminology "homosexual" or "heterosexual" at all for various reasons. So really I just would say, as my answer to the title question, "He didn't."
So, they choose to be homosexuals, according to your belief Did you also choose to be heterosexual? Was is a hard to decide?

Ciao

- viole

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I was not referring to sexual attraction as a whole but deficiencies in it. Yes sexual attraction exists.
Those are also very clearly part of creation, because they factually exist.

I did not say that desires can't be the product of decisions, they can be, it's just they don't have to be.

They can come from a variety of sources. They can come from us (like my innate desire to avoid death comes from within and pushes me to avoid certain things), the world (like when you see someone with something and then you want it, that came from without), God (such as the desire for Him), demons (such as temptations to our corrupt nature), and so on (or maybe that really is all).
Which of these influences would you say were not created by God?
If they were not created by God, who or what created them?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think the sexuality of all individuals develops over their life.

Certain aspects, wants and desires, may grow and shift over time. But ones ingrained attraction to a particular sex, or sexes, doesn't just "develop". Outside of ones actual expression of sexuality through adolescence/puberty.

Lain

Which of these influences would you say were not created by God?
If they were not created by God, who or what created them?

Well any corruption or death or evil does not come from God, for as I quoted "God did not make death." So anything that is that did not come from Him (according to me). Rational beings have the free will to move into corruption, basically depreciating their own existence. That is the ultimate source of all that.

Lain

So why do you think God approves of expressions of certain forms of sexual attraction, but not others, when those attractions were never that person's choice to begin with?

Doesn't this strike you as fundamentally cruel and unfair?

I just said above it can be from a choice and it can not be, I do not know every case.

God approves of certain knowing choices (according to me) and not others, no matter what desires are behind them. It does not strike me as cruel or unfair because in other cases of people desiring something and God not approving of their action (which may or may not be based on that desire) it isn't considered that way at all. I am not sure why this would be a unique case.

Lain

Certain aspects, wants and desires, may grow and shift over time. But ones ingrained attraction to a particular sex, or sexes, doesn't just "develop". Outside of ones actual expression of sexuality through adolescence/puberty.

Why is that?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Well any corruption or death or evil does not come from God, for as I quoted "God did not make death."
Then logically, "corruption" is only the absence of positive influence, not a discrete influence in and of itself.

Which leaves God, the World, and Ourselves as the three possible sources for homosexual attraction.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why is that?
It seems to be an issue with the chemicals involved. For instance, why is it that if born a male and one has older male siblings, one is more likely to be homosexual, and increasingly, according to how many older male siblings one has - even if the effect is quite small. This is a well known example.

Lain

Then logically, "corruption" is only the absence of positive influence, not a discrete influence in and of itself.

Which leaves God, the World, and Ourselves as the three possible sources for homosexual attraction.

Which as I said earlier, is nothing but disorder, meaning that fundamentally sexual attraction is good, but this expression of it is broken. Ultimately as I said coming through the will of someone ("death comes through sin" yet sin is a knowing choice), even if not that particular person.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Which as I said earlier, is nothing but disorder, meaning that fundamentally sexual attraction is good, but this expression of it is broken.
So...
God makes some people desire people they are not allowed to want, and other people desire people they are allowed to want; he then punishes one class of people for following their desires, and rewards others for following the same category of desires.

God, in short, decides which people are allowed to feel the happiness of being with someone we love and are attracted to, to feel content in their embrace and wanted by their desire: Some people God made to be allowed to pursue this, and others he made to be banned from pursueing this; some people are validated in their choice to follow sexual attraction, other people are punished for making the exact same choice in the exact same situation for the exact same reason.

God, therefore, decrees, that some people are allowed to live happy and fulfilled lives, and others, simply, are not allowed to do this.

Correct?

Praise Jah

Psalm 83:18
The Bible states that if a man lies with another man they should both be stoned to death. It's my belief that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice over who they're attracted to just like a heterosexual. If this is true why would God create homosexuals when he seems so opposed to their nature? I believe in the God of the Old Testament and believe that he is righteous but I'm confused by this. Did God create homosexuals purely to destroy them or is there something else going on? Does he want a homosexual man to be celibate or to go against his nature and procreate with a woman? Is God offering him the chance to make a huge sacrifice to the highest by denying himself? What are your thoughts?
Jehovah God created humans to engage in sex only within the arrangement of marriage between a male and a female. (Genesis 1:27-28; Leviticus 18:22; Proverbs 5:18-19)

The Bible condemns sexual activity that is not between a husband and wife, whether it is homosexual or heterosexual conduct. (1 Corinthians 6:18)

The Bible doesn’t comment directly on the biology of homosexual desires, though it acknowledges that because of sin, we are all born with a tendency to go against what God commands. (Romans 7:21-25) Rather than focus on the cause of homosexual desires, however, the Bible prohibits homosexual acts.

Is it possible to please God despite having same-sex urges? The Bible says: “Don’t be controlled by your body. Kill every desire for the wrong kind of sex.” (Colossians 3:5) To kill wrong desires, which lead to wrong actions, you need to control your thinking. If you regularly fill your mind with wholesome thoughts, you can more readily dismiss wrong desires. (Philippians 4:8; James 1:14‐15) While it may be a struggle at first, it can become easier. Jehovah God promises to help all those who are striving to “be made new in the force actuating your mind.”(Ephesians 4:22-24)

Additionally, the same struggle is faced by millions with heterosexual desires who wish to conform to the Bible’s standards. For example, those who are single with little prospect of marriage or who are married to a partner who is unable to function sexually choose to control their sexual urges despite any temptations they might face. They are able to live happily, and those with same-sex urges can do so as well if they truly want to please God. (Deuteronomy 30:19)