• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Can't People Accept Other Views?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
People only see the good things in life... some people, not all, haven't experienced tragic and disturbing hardships to make them see logic.
How absurd...

Why would I
How could I
"Accept" the view of another
if it does not line up with my own personal view?
Thank you :D, exactly what I was going to say...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
One of my favorite quotes is from somebody named G. K. Chesterton (I have no idea who he or she might be). I think it's pertinent to this topic and definitely frubal-worthy:

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong."

kai

ragamuffin
Before I say much more, let me just say that I am not critisizing religion, but rather, the way in which people some follow it, without truly understanding other points of concepts.

A friend of mine, offered me the following site as a playful jab.

Admittedly, this is taking advantage of the minority of people, but seriously everyone, anyone with half a brain can see the gaping problems in the below statement.​

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it. [emphasis added]
I agree that how faith can help... but actually understanding everything apart from your own beliefs, even without agreeing, is possibly just as great. Especially if it helps you to understand WHAT you're talking about.

because they dont have to, people are free to make up their own minds, and free to point out flaws in someone elses argument

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
That was enlightening. How could I ever dispute that?
A) People do not "only see the good things in life"*
B) People do not need tragedy or hardship to "make them see logic"
C) There is nothing illogical, for many people, in believing in God. In fact in alot of cases disbelief would be illogical...

edit - *Some may, I've never met, nor heard of anyone who does however... and I can't see how they see things could be proven anyways, outside of a psychological exam or something...

eXiled

I like logic.
:D
A) People do not "only see the good things in life"*
B) People do not need tragedy or hardship to "make them see logic"
C) There is nothing illogical, for many people, in believing in God. In fact in alot of cases disbelief would be illogical...

edit - *Some may, I've never met, nor heard of anyone who does however... and I can't see how they see things could be proven anyways, outside of a psychological exam or something...
How would disbelief be illogical? I don't follow. Having exteme hardships does put things in perspective. Trust me. People blindly believe and they've had a whole bunch of sunshine in their life. That was sarcasm, by the way. However, I blindly believed and what? Get trapped in a failing body? So, I pray to God to help, which supposedly is supposed to help, but guess what? I'm still trapped. Believe me when I say, your perspective would change if you were in my position, and please, none of that God has a plan malarcky... I've heard it more times that I care to admit. It's simple. I hurt. I pray... I get disappointed. It's really that simple. I mean, it really is. There is no logic, as I see it now, in believing in someone and putting faith in someone, or an entity, take your pick, that is so prejudiced by who he saves and who he doesn't.

Forgive me if this doesn't make sense or makes a strong rebuttle to your statement... I'm overly medicated... Apparently, God doesn't just seem fit for me to have a terrible disease, but he likes to keep me drugged up.

BruceDLimber

does it sound like [Baha'u'llah, the Prophet/Founder of the Baha'i Faith] was channeling Joseph Smith?

Nope.We're not into "channelling." Indeed, it's a term you don't even find in the Baha'i Faith.

And a number of His teachings were completely different, in particular those advocating unity and condemning racism!

Peace,

Bruce

lew0049

CWebb
How would disbelief be illogical? I don't follow. Having exteme hardships does put things in perspective. Trust me. People blindly believe and they've had a whole bunch of sunshine in their life. That was sarcasm, by the way. However, I blindly believed and what? Get trapped in a failing body? So, I pray to God to help, which supposedly is supposed to help, but guess what? I'm still trapped. Believe me when I say, your perspective would change if you were in my position, and please, none of that God has a plan malarcky... I've heard it more times that I care to admit. It's simple. I hurt. I pray... I get disappointed. It's really that simple. I mean, it really is. There is no logic, as I see it now, in believing in someone and putting faith in someone, or an entity, take your pick, that is so prejudiced by who he saves and who he doesn't.

Forgive me if this doesn't make sense or makes a strong rebuttle to your statement... I'm overly medicated... Apparently, God doesn't just seem fit for me to have a terrible disease, but he likes to keep me drugged up.

I completely understand your argument and will briefly respond for now to hopefully give a different perspective.

How is it prejudiced for the Creator of something to decide who he saves and doesn't save? If we owe our existance to Him then our very being is because of Him - my belief is that God judges everyone accordingly, so for anyone to know who will and won't be saved would imply we are on the same level as the higher being.

I can attest to going through many hardships at a relatively young age, I watched my father die of a terminal illness for over three years (I was 21 and am now 26). Obviously, one might argue that I have faith b/c I want things to be okay/wishful thinking, but this is not at all how I came to my conclusion - during and after the 3 years I hated God.
I mean it seemed wrong that such a great/dedicated man suffered for so long, and in comparision, so many "bad" people in my mind live longer/less painful lifes. It made no sense. Roughly two years later, I came to the conclusion that if there is a truth, I would search for it, if I couldn't find one then thats fine.

With the possibility of having such greatness/love in the world comes the possibility of having such badness/pain. A question then becomes, at what point should this higher being intervene? WIll praying make the pain go away? (on a side note, personally, I pray for strength among others things). At what point should God intervene - why not when Hitler killed millions? What if he only kiled thousands? Or even a lesser "sin" of a father beating his wife for years? Well, to briefly respond, mandkind is given free will to make choices and to expect God to frequently intervene would simply be chaotic - he would be neglecting this free will that he gave us.

Obviously I don't know or could not possibly understand your situation as I am not you, but I assure you I have and probably will (long list of family health problems that are out of my control). I guess that is enough for now, but feel free to respond and/or send me a priv. message. Hope you feel better ;)
-chip

lew0049

CWebb
Nope.We're not into "channelling." Indeed, it's a term you don't even find in the Baha'i Faith.

And a number of His teachings were completely different, in particular those advocating unity and condemning racism!

Peace,

Bruce

Finding/wanting unity is not indicative of anything except that it will attract people, the overall appeal of being accepted.

DarkSun

:eltiT
How would disbelief be illogical? I don't follow. Having exteme hardships does put things in perspective. Trust me. People blindly believe and they've had a whole bunch of sunshine in their life. That was sarcasm, by the way. However, I blindly believed and what? Get trapped in a failing body? So, I pray to God to help, which supposedly is supposed to help, but guess what? I'm still trapped.

The exact opposite was true for me....

BruceDLimber

Finding/wanting unity is not indicative of anything except that it will attract people, the overall appeal of being accepted.

Unity need not be "indicative" anything given that it's a fully legimiate goal in and of itself--and indeed, the major focus of the Baha'i Faith!

Peace,

Bruce

Booko

Deviled Hen
Yeah, sounds like a lot of things. I perhaps research too much and know the symptoms of many diseases. Bloodwork is fine, heart is fine, kidneys, gastro...err.. stuff is fine. lol It sounds like fibromyalgia, and lupus... but I'm leaning more towards mercury poisoning because of the timing.

Have a hair test done if you haven't already. That will nail down any toxic metals.

I'm recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome (which is really the same as fibro anyway) and it came down to aluminum and mercury toxicity and PBBs.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Venus is closer to the sun than we are, and gets about twice the energy we do. So why isn't their evolution twice as advanced as ours? The answer is the planet is covered with clouds which prevent waste heat from escaping into the night sky. So on Venus the engine of life has seized up. The key isn't just having energy, it is having your energy flow.

*Says nothing.*

:foot: