1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why call the great mystery 'God'?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Unfathomable Tao, Jun 28, 2016.

1. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,240
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    This also describes the Tao...

• Like Like x 3
  2. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Pretty much. "Deity" is simply too vague, too variously understood a concept to be of much practical use.

It is ok to use it, but one has to take the responsibility of deciding what it is supposed to mean and deal with the disparity of understandings.

Myself, I just find that much more work than it is worth. And since I have no natural inclination towards theism in the first place...

Ultimately, everyone has his or her own answer, and little consensus. That is only a problem if we expect otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Riverwolf

Riverwolf Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,285
    Religion:
    Anglo-Saxon(esque) Heathenry
    So, by that logic, the Torah is just a lawbook. The end.

IOW, the Torah absolutely the exact same as all other lawbooks and codes throughout all history, ancient, medieval, and modern; and all cultures, Eurasian, African, and American. All the same with nothing whatsoever unique about them.

And that is, of course, ridiculous.

4. The_Fisher_King

The_Fisher_King Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +723
    Religion:
    Islam
    So we can't say anything about God?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quagmire

Quagmire Imaginary talking monkey
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,490
    Religion:
    None
    Me too, but I don't think that necessarily negates the need, or the usefulness, of putting a face on it, so to speak.

If the Universe is unlimited, if it's all things, then it would naturally follow that It's also a guy with white hair and beard, sitting on a cloud (although that's not what my God looks like). :D

It's easier to communicate that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist My baby niece

Ratings:
    +10,964
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing
    I'd somewhat agree as well. I don't know much to nothing about Taoism. Mahayana Buddhism has less "mystic or gnostic" approach to seeing "the tao". I like it because it is very to-the-point. Well, Mahayana has more of a metaphysics feel than Theravada; but, in general, from what I know of The Buddha's teachings he is pretty blunt where the tao (assuming) and all the other things I listed have more of a mystic approach. "Greater than us", "We have limited knowledge", the "universe (comparing it to us tiny little specks of the earth)".

It is almost as if many religions look to the future and say "we will get there if we have the knowledge and/or faith. We strive. We journey.

Buddha-nature is already here. We don't look forward (which isn't bad) but within. So, I guess that's a tao thing. I don't know.

7. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist My baby niece

Ratings:
    +10,964
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing
    I have a question for ya(ll). Why does it have to be greater or above your heads? Mysteries doesn't have to be that way. It's just something we don't know to put it literally. Why put the unknown higher than the known? Why not, as @Rick O'Shez was saying, appreciate life and in it's awe?

8. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Coincidentia oppositorum
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,429
    Religion:
    Dual-aspect pantheist
    Why call it Tao?

9. Ouroboros

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,429
    Religion:
    Dual-aspect pantheist
    For a pantheist, they're one and the same.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Unfathomable Tao

Unfathomable Tao Student of the Way

Ratings:
    +51
    Religion:
    Greek Pagan/Taoist
    It doesn't have to be called that either, but knowing what we know about Lao-tzu, he may have coined it with no important meaning, almost playfully. He is said to have been the 'ancient child', referring to his maturity and childish playfulness in one individual.

11. Rick O'Shez

Rick O'Shez Irishman bouncing off walls

Ratings:
    +4,903
    Religion:
    Guinness
    OK. But why do you assume there IS such a thing? What is the need for it? What purpose does such a belief serve?

#71 Rick O'Shez, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  12. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    Would it be far-fetched to say that if it was not logical then there would be no use studying it?

13. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    I wasn't describing G-d though, I was explaining logic.

14. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    At its essence, that's exactly what it is. A book to teach Jews exactly what to do. And it uses various means, such as stories and direct commands to do so.

15. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    Right.

16. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,415
    Religion:
    Perhaps. But in this thread, the OP is asking why this is not true for others.

17. Ouroboros

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,429
    Religion:
    Dual-aspect pantheist
    The thing that we can't give a name to, we try to give a name to anyway, Tao, God, ground of all being. the great mystery, and so on. It's just a word to represent that "thing" that we can't explain or give name to. God is just another name for it, just like Tao.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rick O'Shez

Rick O'Shez Irishman bouncing off walls

Ratings:
    +4,903
    Religion:
    Guinness
    Perhaps, but the act of naming does seem to result in mental baggage, beliefs and assumptions.

19. Breathe

Breathe Hostis humani generis

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Religion:
    Syncretic, Personal Panentheism
    I call it God because God is a term. It is a term we use in the Anglosphere. It is the most widely understood term. We don't use Brahman, Ishvar/Ishwar, and so on, for the most part.

I feel God is more of a useful term for me. Not only because I live in an English-speaking country, but because I feel it shows God as more than just an impersonal force.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JoStories

JoStories Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Religion:
    Spiritual
    IMO, it is a term that has been used to describe this mystery for millennia. I don't call it God either, save to communicate thoughts on that topic here on this forum. I am Buddhist and consider the Mystery to be a joining with Enlightenment. There is no gender nor figure such as defined by most of the Abrahamic faiths. It simply is. However, that said, I doubt you will get billions of people to change from calling It God to calling It It. Its been so ingrained at this point that it will likely never change. But its an excellent question and observation.