• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why believe The Bible?

How would you know about that good news if it were not recorded in the Bible? Seems like a catch-22. You know the good news from the Bible, but you don't need the Bible to know the good news?
I'm not sure I understand the question.
Or, is it a statement?
Have I said that I read the bible for theological purposes?
The sad thing is, *whispering* the resurrection of Jesus isn't provable.
The bible has inconsistencies and contradictions galore.

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm not sure I understand the question.
Or, is it a statement?
Have I said that I read the bible for theological purposes?
The sad thing is, *whispering* the resurrection of Jesus isn't provable.
The bible has inconsistencies and contradictions galore.

Oh, you don't believe that the Bible has any truth, or at least none that you can trust. I thought that you were a Christian, just one who did not think the Bible inerrant. Apologies for the confusion.

Oh, you don't believe that the Bible has any truth, or at least none that you can trust. I thought that you were a Christian, just one who did not think the Bible inerrant. Apologies for the confusion.
That's alright. I do think though that there are logical things in the bible and that it is fine to use it . Like not being a hypocrite, and treating others kindly. You know.
The bible is NOT a big book of lies. As Andrew Ryan said:

"Even in a book of lies, you can always find some truth "

Not to say the bible is just a book of lies.
FYI, I was a Christian but In my historical research, I have found it difficult to remain one. Jesus was a great person. But, most of my Christian ideology, is faith based now.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The "Good News" that the bible is speaking of is the ideology that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and that he is, the "savior". I have studied much of the bible and I find it funny that not many people will see this.

The bad news is that this is a rather simplistic view of the event. Jesus could be seen to represent humanity, and the metaphor of dying on the cross and being reborn could represent the desire to be freed from our earthly suffering and be renewed as transcendental beings.

And the good news is that's just one possible meaning.

Kcnorwood

It's not the bible that is the word of God. It is "The Good News", that the bible displays many times. The Good News is God's word out to people(Jesus is the savior), not the bible.
This is seen in the Acts for instance. The ancient Greek manuscripts state "word of God", and the writer could not have possibly owned an OT/NT bible.(The bible that people have today was supposedly completed in the latter half of the 4th century)

Acts ch.14 and other places in the NT show this to be true.

Sorry no it is still man telling you that the bible is the word of God & nothing else. The faith part I get but to believe it is because someone said so is not a reason.

Sorry no it is still man telling you that the bible is the word of God & nothing else. The faith part I get but to believe it is because someone said so is not a reason.
The bible is not the word of God. I believe that in the bible, it ("the word") means whatever Paul was trying to get across to people.(IN the context of the scriptures), if there was a "word of god"

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Paintanker,

Why believe The Bible?

Religion is all about LIVING.
One has to live it fully to realize what the words are all about.
Just reading and believing in them does not help.
Love & rgds

Renji

Many theologically savy people quote the bible - taking it as the final word on the matter. My question is: "How do you know it's right?"

The answer that most people will give me is (and my insides turn over every time I hear it, I'm sorry, I have to use the F word here) faith. They don't know, but they have faith that the word of the Bible is the word of God and thus correct and true. I am pretty sure that didn't answer the question at all; I fundimentally asked why they believe and how they know... they answer they don't know and they believe because of their beliefs.

Would any of you be kind enough to tell me: If you hadn't been indoctorinated since birth into Christianity (as some people haven't; they converted later in life), what would persuade you to take a book, the Bible, and believe that what it says is true.

And: What sets this book apart from other religious books, like the Tora(h?) - or vice versa? Why would you believe one over the other?

Perhaps you had a religious experience? My friend tells me he was praying one day and as a man tried to approach him the man found he couldn't breathe while within 10 feet of my praying friend. That's cool, I amy be hesitant to believe that, but that's not what we're talking about. For the other 95% of us who haven't experienced such things, why would they commit themselves to blind faith?

My final question is: If you were to find out that the book was a lie, that I had infact written it around 2000 years ago, what would you do then (besides ask me the secret to my longevity)?

Ahmm, let me also ask you;), why do we believe that there are molecules and that molecules have spaces in them without even seeing it? Second, why do we believe that there is gravity even if we cannot see gravity? It's a matter of belief and faith, Paintanker:)

Renji

Because we can actually observe and witness its effects by tossing a rock into the air and watching it fall. Or are you an advocate of Intelligent Descent?

No. Hahaha...:) Surely, I can be a Christian even if I believe in gravity. Surely, I do not take all the things in the Bible literally and I don't think that the theory removes God "out of the scene";)

BIBLE
1). For someone who do not recognize good reason
2). For intellectual and analyst
My commentaries are:
You and all others could join together to explain everything believers should know, they still believe the book as written by people inspired by their Supreme Being they blindly worshipped.
2) Any person of good reasoning and have broadminded analysis of was written and how it wa written will find all defects you could find therein.
The Bible contents are selves contradictory. It is unreliable. Believers are confused devotees. They really don't who's real God Father? Son? and or stranger, whom they caiied spirit? But, churches strongly and vehemently maintain that there is only one God.

Kcnorwood

Being that Christians are taught that man is flawed I do not see how Christians can believe anything in the bible.

Arlanbb

MOst of the bible is very good history of what God had done for and against the Hebrew people, anything more than that, like the first part of Genesis is full of myths, legends etc.

SpiritualBeing

I believe that it depends upon how strong your belief is. I believe that the Bible is true, and that it is the Word of God and Christ. I believe in the Creation Story, and the scripture given in the book of Revelations.

This is my personal belief, though, and I do not believe that it is my right, nor the right of anyone else, to state that what they believe is wrong or could be blasphemous.

:candle:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I believe that it depends upon how strong your belief is. I believe that the Bible is true, and that it is the Word of God and Christ. I believe in the Creation Story, and the scripture given in the book of Revelations.

This is my personal belief, though, and I do not believe that it is my right, nor the right of anyone else, to state that what they believe is wrong or could be blasphemous.

The question isn't, "What do you believe?" It's: Why do you believe it? O.K., you believe the Bible is the Word of God and Christ (although Christ did not write a word in it). Why do you believe that?

SpiritualBeing

Brother,

If you look at the Book of Revelations, and some of the prophesy that was made, you may be able to see that some of it has come to pass already. Also, the question is not just "Why do I believe?" I ask you, why do you not believe?

idea

Question Everything
The Bible is not the end-all be-all IMO. It has great stuff in it, it also has translation errors etc... but most of all, it is just a book. The point of it all is not to read, the point is to live - to really live.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Brother,

If you look at the Book of Revelations, and some of the prophesy that was made, you may be able to see that some of it has come to pass already. Also, the question is not just "Why do I believe?" I ask you, why do you not believe?

So you believe the Bible to be true because you believe that the Book of Revelations has accurately prophesied certain events that have actually happened? Which prophecies, and which events?

Did you know that the Book of Revelations was actually written about the relationship between Rome and Christianity, has no relationship to the modern world, and was not even applied to the modern world until the 19th century? Did you know that there are as many ideas about what on earth this book means as there are Christian sects, and that Martin Luther called it an "offensive work?"

Can you use the Book of Revelations to accurately predict something that hasn't happened yet? Please be specific.

I don't believe because there is no evidence in favor of the accuracy of the Bible, and lots and lots against it.

idea

Question Everything
...Why do you believe ...?

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
(Book of Mormon | Moroni10:3 - 5)

The Holy Ghost is an actual being who can actually communicate with you. You can feel the presence.