• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are You Wrong?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think your worldview is wrong.

Is your worldview then wrong?

Am I wrong?

Why?

Whose worldview is correct?

Why?

Now that that’s settled, what have we accomplished?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
As in I have the wrong world view?
Or as in my worldview it self is wrong?
or as in I do not have a world view?

Cooky

Veteran Member

Am I wrong?

Why?

Why?

Typical comment from the advaita worldview. I should have expected it. ;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Am I wrong?

Why?

Why?

I'm wrong when I open my mouth, or start typing.

"Better to keep quiet and have everyone think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts" - Twain

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm wrong when I open my mouth, or start typing.

"Better to keep quiet and have everyone think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts" - Twain

I disagree! I especially love it when you go against the grain.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Of course my world view is wrong. It comes from the intellect which is the repository of the false rather than from the heart which knows truth.

The realized beings have become one with the Truth and manifest it. In so far as the intellect is employed, they can be said to have the correct world view.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Am I wrong?

Why?

Why?

I'll begin by assuming my opinion does not truly exist. The contrapositive case implies then that I don't have an opinion, because if I had an opinion then the first statement could not be true. That in turn implies that my opinion could not be posted, which leads to a contradiction since this post is non-empty. Therefore I have an opinion and my opinion exists.

That means I'm right.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Let's face it, opinions change as our experiences increase over time... People change, not only in what they see and know, but even physically... We are fluid.

...But by communicating with one another, we're essentially keeping open doors to move about and gather information.

Sometimes this ability to garner information spills over, into abstract ideologies, which is what the worldview is. It's just categorization, even if it is true for some, I doubt it can be proven in a laboratory using the scientific method. So it exists mostly in the human mind's imagination, and not the physical world. There isn't even a doctrine on it in the majority of religions. So it should only exist where it's actively practiced, and left out of the mainstream as far as my experience can tell.

...I don't see any positive things coming from it in my life. Do you?

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Besides being a virtually useless abstract idea, the concept of Weltanschauung was popularized by Sigmund Freud, during his psychoanalysis studies, which are considered pseudoscience by today's standards.

New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis “The Question of a Weltanschauung” Summary and Analysis | GradeSaver

Summary

Freud begins this lecture by asking whether psychoanalysis can provide a Weltanschauung. Though the specifically German concept of a Weltanschauung does not translate directly or easily into English, Freud defines it as “an intellectual construction which solves all the problems of our existence uniformly on the basis of one overriding hypothesis” (195).

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Do you know my worldview?
Does it matter?

Am I wrong?
I would say ignorant rather than wrong.

See above

How in the heck am I supposed to know if I don't know your worldview?

I acknowledge my ignorance

We have a tangible example of "ignorance is not bliss."

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
If you can't think for yourself, just who can think for you?
What if someone never thought of something, and another person introduces a thought to him too and now that person accepts or believes that newly introduced thought?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

You're probably right.

It's flawed for sure. Inaccurate to say the very least.

Am I wrong?

No, I think that sums it all up.

We live subjective lives. Our experiences inform our thoughts on things. That information is skewed by the epistemological tools we have to work with, and after all that we only remember bits of it.

No one's, totally. Though, some are more correct than others.

Some biases and epistemological tools are closer to reality than others'

Well, I just ate up my lunch time at work typing this. :D

Cooky

Veteran Member
Not having a world view is not wrong?

Nope... Is there actual evidence that a worldview even exists as such? It's such a sloppy term, it's hard to imagine such a concept could last long enough In an individual to pinpoint it as anything definable (let alone an entire group).

The word didn't even exist in the English language until the late 1800's due to Freud writing about it in his psuedoscientific psychoanalysis studies.

Last edited: