• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are You Here?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
God does not abandon His children.

WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN

(Deu 7:6 KJV) For thou art a holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

(Deu 7:7 KJV) The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

(Deu 7:8 KJV) But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh King of Egypt.

(Deu 7:12 KJV) Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he swore unto thy fathers:

The above is one path & here is another----

Ezekiel

1 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

2 Son of man, set thy face toward Jerusalem, and drop thy word toward the holy places, and prophesy against the land of Israel,

3 And say to the land of Israel, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I am against thee, and will draw forth my sword out of his sheath, and will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked.

4 Seeing then that I will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked, therefore shall my sword go forth out of his sheath against all flesh from the south to the north:

7 And it shall be, when they say unto thee, Wherefore sighest thou? that thou shalt answer, For the tidings; because it cometh: and every heart shall melt, and all hands shall be feeble, and every spirit shall faint, and all knees shall be weak as water: behold, it cometh, and shall be brought to pass, saith the Lord GOD.

9 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished:

12 Cry and howl, son of man: for it shall be upon my people, it shall be upon all the princes of Israel: terrors by reason of the sword shall be upon my people: smite therefore upon thy thigh.

13 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.

17 I will also smite mine hands together, and I will cause my fury to rest: I the LORD have said it.

20 Appoint a way, that the sword may come to Rabbath of the Ammonites, and to Judah in Jerusalem the defenced.

24 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye have made your iniquity to be remembered, in that your transgressions are discovered, so that in all your doings your sins do appear; because, I say, that ye are come to remembrance, ye shall be taken with the hand.

25 And thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end,

27 I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.

29 Whiles they see vanity unto thee, whiles they divine a lie unto thee, to bring thee upon the necks of them that are slain, of the wicked, whose day is come, when their iniquity shall have an end.

30 Shall I cause it to return into his sheath? I will judge thee in the place where thou wast created, in the land of thy nativity.

31 And I will pour out mine indignation upon thee, I will blow against thee in the fire of my wrath, and deliver thee into the hand of brutish men, and skilful to destroy.

32 Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it.

The question of the day is which path they will take-?

What is more likely:

1) That the creator of the universe, the galaxies, the earth, everything, chose a tribe on one of these planes as the preferred one

2) That a tribe in one of these planes made up a god that chose them to be the preferred ones

The solution to this riddle is left as a very simple exercise to the reader

Ciao

- viole

james dixon

Premium Member
That a tribe in one of these planes made up a god that chose them to be the preferred ones

WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN

(Deu 7:6 KJV) For thou art a holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

(Deu 7:7 KJV) The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

(Deu 7:8 KJV) But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh King of Egypt.

(Deu 7:9 KJV) Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

(Deu 7:11 KJV) Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.

(Deu 7:12 KJV) Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he swore unto thy fathers:

(Deu 7:13 KJV) And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kin, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee.

God chose them to show us the way. By example, by following His Commandments and expressing the love for the stranger as we all should love our neighbors. It is spelled out in scripture, all you have to do is read it and do it and then it will be done.

(Lev 19:34 KJV) But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God

They were chosen to show us the way, to show us how to treat the stranger, how to be compassionate and loving to your neighbor and by doing so peace would envelope the world.

The question of the day is; have they followed His commandments?

The evidence to the answer is their actions which speak louder than words~~~~~~~~~
12-year old Hoda Darwish was hit in the head by a bullet fired Two 10 year-old schoolchildren were shot in the al-Omaria school run by UNRWA in Rafah, when an Israeli tank fired into their classroom.
Bullets fired from the tank flew through the classroom window, hitting Mahmoud Hamad in the neck and Hisham al Habil in the head. The boys had not even been sitting by the windows but in the middle of the room. (this was an assassination of specific children by the IDF)
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/index.html

Photos of a 12 year old palestinian boy being shot by Israeli soldiers and the ambulance driver who tried to save him also being shot and killed.
http://www.palestine-net.com/misc/durra/

Three-year-old Rawan Abu Zeid, who took bullets in the neck and head while buying candy with her friends.
5 June 2004
The New Yorker’s Israel: Where Objectivity Fails

An eight-year-old Palestinian girl shot dead by Israeli troops in the central Gaza Strip was killed while showing off her new school uniform to friends
Lend me your swords

Boy of 17, shot by Israeli soldiers, left bleeding overnight to die
September 8, 2003
The bullet ridden corpse of Mohammad Abdullah Abu al-Husni, was found yesterday morning near the town of Jabaliya, where he lived in Gaza.
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/updates/left_to_die.htm

Haneen, who was eight years old, had been shot twice in the head by an Israeli soldier as she walked down the street in Khan Yunis refugee camp with her mother.
28 July 2003
She was coming down the street and ran to me and hugged me, crying,
'Mother, mother'. Two bullets hit her in the head, one straight after the other.
She was still in my arms and she died."
'I can't imagine anyone who considers himself a human being can do this'

This boy was in his own house and an IDF soldier barges into the house and shoots him dead Mohammed a 7-year-old boy fell dead, still clutching his piece of bread.
Tuesday December 23, 2003
Israel Army action breeds fresh hatred

Israel Baby is born then dies
September 11, 2003
Birth and death at the checkpoint
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/338937.html

Three shot in the back by Israeli snipers, one a 15-year-old boy
Siege off Nablus
January, 2004
15 year old boy who was shot while standing in front of his house. The sniper bulet hit Amjad in the back. He died on his way to the hospital. The second is Amer Kathym Arafat who was also shot in the back by a sniper bullet. The third is Rouhi Hazem Shouman, 25, who was also shot in the back by a sniper.
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/appeals/lift_the_siege.htm

Three-year-old Rawan Abu Zeid, who took bullets in the neck and head while buying candy with her friends.
5 June 2004

15 year old boy & Amer Kathym & Rouhi Hazem Shouman all shot in the back by a sniper.

An eight-year-old Palestinian girl shot dead by Israeli troops in the central Gaza Strip was killed while showing off her new school uniform to friends
Lend me your swords

IDF shoots 13-year-old girl in the back with 20 bullets and then the IDF commander goes over to the girl and shoots her again to make sure she was dead
Tue., October 05, 2004
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/485274.html

“I have never before watched soldiers entice children like mice into a trap and murder them for sport."
http://www.israel-state-terrorism.org/children.html
http://tinyurl.com/8rmn2g3
I don't believe murdering children
was in the Lord's mind
when He chose them
:)-

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN

(Deu 7:9 KJV) Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

(Deu 7:11 KJV) Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.

(Deu 7:13 KJV) And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kin, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee.

God chose them to show us the way. By example, by following His Commandments and expressing the love for the stranger as we all should love our neighbors. It is spelled out in scripture, all you have to do is read it and do it and then it will be done.

(Lev 19:34 KJV) But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God

They were chosen to show us the way, to show us how to treat the stranger, how to be compassionate and loving to your neighbor and by doing so peace would envelope the world.

The question of the day is; have they followed His commandments?

The evidence to the answer is their actions which speak louder than words~~~~~~~~~
12-year old Hoda Darwish was hit in the head by a bullet fired Two 10 year-old schoolchildren were shot in the al-Omaria school run by UNRWA in Rafah, when an Israeli tank fired into their classroom.
Bullets fired from the tank flew through the classroom window, hitting Mahmoud Hamad in the neck and Hisham al Habil in the head. The boys had not even been sitting by the windows but in the middle of the room. (this was an assassination of specific children by the IDF)
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/index.html

Photos of a 12 year old palestinian boy being shot by Israeli soldiers and the ambulance driver who tried to save him also being shot and killed.
http://www.palestine-net.com/misc/durra/

5 June 2004

Lend me your swords

Boy of 17, shot by Israeli soldiers, left bleeding overnight to die
September 8, 2003
The bullet ridden corpse of Mohammad Abdullah Abu al-Husni, was found yesterday morning near the town of Jabaliya, where he lived in Gaza.
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/updates/left_to_die.htm

Haneen, who was eight years old, had been shot twice in the head by an Israeli soldier as she walked down the street in Khan Yunis refugee camp with her mother.
28 July 2003
She was coming down the street and ran to me and hugged me, crying,
'Mother, mother'. Two bullets hit her in the head, one straight after the other.
She was still in my arms and she died."
'I can't imagine anyone who considers himself a human being can do this'

This boy was in his own house and an IDF soldier barges into the house and shoots him dead Mohammed a 7-year-old boy fell dead, still clutching his piece of bread.
Tuesday December 23, 2003
Israel Army action breeds fresh hatred

Israel Baby is born then dies
September 11, 2003
Birth and death at the checkpoint
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/338937.html

Three shot in the back by Israeli snipers, one a 15-year-old boy
Siege off Nablus
January, 2004
15 year old boy who was shot while standing in front of his house. The sniper bulet hit Amjad in the back. He died on his way to the hospital. The second is Amer Kathym Arafat who was also shot in the back by a sniper bullet. The third is Rouhi Hazem Shouman, 25, who was also shot in the back by a sniper.

5 June 2004

15 year old boy & Amer Kathym & Rouhi Hazem Shouman all shot in the back by a sniper.

Lend me your swords

IDF shoots 13-year-old girl in the back with 20 bullets and then the IDF commander goes over to the girl and shoots her again to make sure she was dead
Tue., October 05, 2004
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/485274.html

“I have never before watched soldiers entice children like mice into a trap and murder them for sport."
http://www.israel-state-terrorism.org/children.html
http://tinyurl.com/8rmn2g3
I don't believe murdering children
was in the Lord's mind
when He chose them

Are you trying to prove me wrong by showing me verses of the bible? Lol

Well, the ones who made up a god that chose them wrote a book (your bible) explaining that. It ia not so difficult. Everybody can do that.

What are you trying to prove to me really? That a book written by some ancient unknown goat herders can in any way or form be taken seriously by us skeptics?

Ciao

- viole

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The bible is a witches' cauldron of imaginative plagiarisms, prophesy,
and a sprinkling of truth, hard to find the pages of truth there.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Oh yes....the OP,
We are here to survive life, and that will not ever happen !

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@viole

It is neither my intent nor my purpose to dissuade you from your opinion - good, bad or indifferent - as to the content of Hebrew scripture. However, as to authorship, I do take exception to your use of the term "goat herders" in regard to the Tanakh.

I'm not knocking goat herders. After all, no goat herders means no goat cheese, which many people, not I, seem to enjoy. And to be honest, I'm not sure if you literally mean to say that goat herders were responsible for the writing of the Tanakh or you're using the term as a short hand way of saying that the authors were, on the whole, unintelligent, unsophisticated, uneducated, ignorant simple minded folk.

In either case, I think such a wholesale characterization is off the mark.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome whether pro or con.
for years I have posted....
we are here to learn all that we can before we die

the structure and function of the body demonstrates a learning device

we actually can't do anything else

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
@viole

It is neither my intent nor my purpose to dissuade you from your opinion - good, bad or indifferent - as to the content of Hebrew scripture. However, as to authorship, I do take exception to your use of the term "goat herders" in regard to the Tanakh.

I'm not knocking goat herders. After all, no goat herders means no goat cheese, which many people, not I, seem to enjoy. And to be honest, I'm not sure if you literally mean to say that goat herders were responsible for the writing of the Tanakh or you're using the term as a short hand way of saying that the authors were, on the whole, unintelligent, unsophisticated, uneducated, ignorant simple minded folk.

In either case, I think such a wholesale characterization is off the mark.

Not necesarily.

If one says: only a western mathematician could have written such nonsense about medieval chinese theater, I would not be offended. For the simple reason that it is expected from Swedish Mathematicians to know rat about medieval chinese theater. In general.

For the same reason, it is to be expected that goat herders know nothing about the Genesis of the Universe, as they have proven by writing that book. And I could not have used middle eastern mathematician either because of their obvious incompetence concerning the ratio between a circle and its radius.

So, I went for the most plausible profession, given the available evidence. With all respect for that profession, of course.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

james dixon

Premium Member
For the same reason, it is to be expected that goat herders know nothing about the Genesis of the Universe, as they have proven by writing that book.

You need to step back and take another look at Genesis and while you are looking at those verses please keep in mind that it was written over two thousand (2,000) years ago. That was way before Columbus.

Christopher Columbus Discovers America, 1492ad. Columbus led his three ships - the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria - out of the Spanish port of Palos on August 3, 1492. His objective was to sail west until he reached Asia (the Indies) where the riches of gold, pearls and spice awaited.

The Old Testament is the original Hebrew Bible, the sacred scriptures of the Jewish faith, written at different times between about 1200 and 165 BC. The New Testament books were written by Christians in the first century AD.

BBC - Religions - Christianity: The Bible

Scholars in the first half of the 20th century came to the conclusion that the Yahwist was produced in the monarchic period, specifically at the court of Solomon, 10th century BC, and the Priestly work in the middle of the 5th century BC (the author was even identified as Ezra), but more recent thinking is that the Yahwist was written either just before or during the Babylonian exile of the 6th century BC, and the Priestly final edition was made late in the Exilic period or soon after
Book of Genesis - Wikipedia

In closing, if you follow the sequence in Genesis you will find that the sequence of earths development is just as Genesis stated over 2,000 years ago.

At that time most folks believed the earth was flat.

Just my observation of things
take it or leave it :)-

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You need to step back and take another look at Genesis and while you are looking at those verses please keep in mind that it was written over two thousand (2,000) years ago. That was way before Columbus.

Christopher Columbus Discovers America, 1492ad. Columbus led his three ships - the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria - out of the Spanish port of Palos on August 3, 1492. His objective was to sail west until he reached Asia (the Indies) where the riches of gold, pearls and spice awaited.

The Old Testament is the original Hebrew Bible, the sacred scriptures of the Jewish faith, written at different times between about 1200 and 165 BC. The New Testament books were written by Christians in the first century AD.

BBC - Religions - Christianity: The Bible

Scholars in the first half of the 20th century came to the conclusion that the Yahwist was produced in the monarchic period, specifically at the court of Solomon, 10th century BC, and the Priestly work in the middle of the 5th century BC (the author was even identified as Ezra), but more recent thinking is that the Yahwist was written either just before or during the Babylonian exile of the 6th century BC, and the Priestly final edition was made late in the Exilic period or soon after
Book of Genesis - Wikipedia

In closing, if you follow the sequence in Genesis you will find that the sequence of earths development is just as Genesis stated over 2,000 years ago.

At that time most folks believed the earth was flat.

Just my observation of things
take it or leave it :)-

Well, I know it has been written a long time ago. My point, really.

It has been written by people without a clue. And that is apparent in the text.

The question is why people take it so seriously when that appears to be pretty obvious.

Ciao

- viole

james dixon

Premium Member
It has been written by people without a clue. And that is apparent in the text.

If you are trying to convince me that there was not a great flood; Sorry, the evidence prevails, you need to get with the here and now.,

Just a suggestion

no animosity intended or implied

Faithofchristian

As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome whether pro or con.

For one, all that you said, doesn't explain why are we here. So why are we here?