• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*Why are you here at Religious Forums?

blackout

Violet.
*How long have you been here at RF?

*Why did you first join RF?

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF?

*Have your primary reasons for being here changed
since you first joined?

*Have your perspectives changed or broadened
in any notable (or even profound) ways
as a result of your participation here?
**If so, what in particular do you site as the cause
of your newer "realizations"?

*If you have been here more than a year,
what keeps you coming back?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
*How long have you been here at RF? I joined in 2006, in April of that year.

*Why did you first join RF? I wanted to discuss various faiths and learn.

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF? The same, but now I know the people.

since you first joined? No

as a result of your participation here? In some ways. Not in my own faith, but my perception of others' faiths. I have learned a lot about what people truly believe and learned to separate what is true from what was propaganda. I have also learned how people perceive people of my faith.
of your newer "realizations"? Just listening to people talk, asking questions, reading their posts.

what keeps you coming back? I still want to learn more.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
</SPAN>Dear UltraViole,
What interesting questions to ask oneself! I noticed, I spend so much time thinking about so much, I've not stopped to reflect upon what I'm really doing here :)

*How long have you been here at RF? About a year (?) Whoops! No, apparently only since Feb.

*Why did you first join RF? To find other ex-atheists who had had "mystical" experiences; I wanted to know whether we interpreted them similarly [we do, I think]. Also, I had always been skeptic towards organised religion [churches, their scripts, traditions and history] and wanted to know whether this was justified. I wanted to see how much my altered perspective on life resembled/differed from those of specific faiths.

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF? Though I seldom longer agree with their conclusions, I do understand atheists' reasons for rejecting certain ways of thinking. Yet over time, I've noticed how their epistemological demands, quite a priori, limit their ability - or should I say; desire - to think "outside the box". I find myself wishing I could interest others in alternative ways of interpreting, not just religious concepts, but empirical data and "hard" facts.
At same time, I'm not the right person for it; I'm no good at expressing abstract thought and I lack patience too.

as a result of your participation here? Changed, yes. Though not sure for the better? Perhaps this offends, but...
More believers than I thought, take their scripts very literally. This to me, suggesting a rather active, institutional discouragement against metaphorical interpretation. I suppose I am more skeptic towards organised religion today, really.
Also, I sometimes feel very ashamed by the way atheists truly do (especially rhetorically, in threads amongst themselves) belittle believers. If you find someone "ignorant", advise them on some literature you think might help and leave it [sarcasm does not always equal good humour].

what keeps you coming back? The belief that egoless good-will, sincere humility and great big smiles are all contagious?

Hermit

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

4 months

I got tired of the bs at PF and wanted to focus more on religion rather than politics for a while.

Still the same.

since you first joined?

No.

No. Or at least not yet.

Nayana

*How long have you been here at RF? Forever ago!

*Why did you first join RF? I'm friends with Madhuri she encouraged me to join as she thought i might find it fun and informative.

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF? Procrastination, i dont wanna study for school!

since you first joined?
Not really

Yeah they have, i have lowered my expectations on human intelligence.

Many of the people here are unwilling to see things from another angle and are very judgemental. I spent much time reading posts before i started to post them.

A vague interest in how other see the world. Also to learn more about my own and others religions.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
*How long have you been here at RF? since June 2005

*Why did you first join RF? a web search for some information led me here

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF? to understand how other peoples think and believe

since you first joined? No

in any notable (or even profound) ways as a result of your participation here? I have a clearer Idea about what I do not believe
of your newer "realizations"? access to a wide range of opinions on each religion, and national idiosyncrasies

what keeps you coming back? I took a year long break after spending some time as a mod. Then checked in again to see how the world had changed. (there has been a definate change in American attitudes and those of Muslims.)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Since November 2007

I studied history at Uni when i was young and religion was and is a big part of it so i typed in Google "Religious Forums" and ended up here,plus i heard there is a sexy Pagan on the boards;)

To learn and share although i was a little Trollish when ifirst joined:eek::p

since you first joined?

No

Definately regarding TOE

Autodidact and PhantomProfane,i quibbled over one word and was enlightened

The people here are cool and diverse and i like to hear what people from all over think,its been a real eye opener but i've seen nothing to change my non religious stance.

HonestJoe

Only a couple of months. I've still got that new poster smell. :)

I think religion is a major influence on the world and needs to be discussed and better understood. I enjoy debate and this is an area which offers that. I think there can be a very negative image presented of non-believers/atheists and hope to offer a little balance to the idiots who often populate the internet.

As above. RF has largely offered what I was looking for.

*Have your perspectives changed or broadened in any notable (or even profound) ways as a result of your participation here?
I've learned more about some of the more obscure beliefs and religions out there (including learning about some I never knew existed, at least in contemporary practice). I have pretty broad expectations anyway not nothing much has surprised me or fundamentally changed my perspective. Anything is possible though.

Onkara

*How long have you been here at RF? Just over one year.

*Why did you first join RF? I'm wanted to ask a question, my first post in fact, which has since been answered.

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF? I want people to disagree and provide logic so that I must re-think my philosophy. Otherwise I must be right. ;)

since you first joined?
I am here for fun and exploration, rather than an answer. I enjoy the interaction and thoughts of others a lot. So yes. I have a much clearer perspective of religions and which one(s) could be for me.

Yes, but it keeps changing too, so it isn't just limited to one thing

Other religions and current events

what keeps you coming back?Boredom. I need a lot to keep my mind active.

What about you UV?

dust1n

Zindīq
I got tired of the bs at PF and wanted to focus more on religion rather than politics for a while.

Yeah, the political forum is too hectic to keep up with and the philosophy forum is too slow.

Look at my join date. :D

I can't remember.

Just trying to keep the ol' noodle a workin'. Also get to read a lot of news hear. It is also nice to talk to people about the various topics here because they rarely come up in day to day life, and it is nice to fill the void.

since you first joined?

I assume.

My perspective changes in multiple little ways all the time. I wouldn't say I have had some like, life-altering realizations on here before, but I feel the accumulation of need perspectives is beneficial and does a lot in changing me over time.

Boredom.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
*How long have you been here at RF? Not sure.

*Why did you first join RF? I cruise forums looking for Seperation and Gay issues. RF came up on Google.

*What now is your primary reason for participating here at RF? Same thing, plus the YECers are a little thicker here, in number and mentality. :D

since you first joined? Not really.

as a result of your participation here? Newp. Old dog, new tricks applies.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Yeah, the political forum is too hectic to keep up with and the philosophy forum is too slow.

I used to post primarily on politicalforum.com, but it's turned into a constant partisan troll-fest. Once upon a time you could find intelligent debates that were well researched and put together.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Less than half of a year.

Because I left another religious forum and was looking for a better one.

It's a forum to ask questions and debate things. And it's general enough to accommodate nearly any subject.

since you first joined?
No.

No.

I haven't been here for more than a year, but I've attended religious forums for over 2 years. I come back as long as I still have something to talk about it. Plus when I become familiar with other people that post I like to check in from time to time.

Sometimes it's just boredom, though. I'll leave for a month and then one day I'm bored and log back in, and then the next day I'm subscribed to 15 threads and I'm like "did I post that many times?" And then it just kind of goes from there.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I joined March 25, 2008. It was my home away from home until about 8 months ago when I took some time off....(marriage was included in the time off)

I always enjoy hearing about others and their beliefs....I find it interesting and very informative....and often a challenge with many worthy opponents. I love the fact that we can agree to disagree in most cases......;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's been just over half a year now....time flies!

I needed someplace to post doggerel & fulminate after getting the boot at that other place.

They tolerate me, the moderation is top notch, the crowd here is interesting, & the free basket of pork products was great!

since you first joined?
Nope.

I'm too obtuse to notice any changes.

I'll let you know when I've been here that long.

seeker69

I joined about a week ago

Looking for folks the think like me

same I haven't found anyone that thinks like me as yet

since you first joined?
nope

not as yet, but I hope so

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

since you first joined?

I've been here since December of 2005. I first joined RF after I rededicated and I wanted to share that with others. But things changed. Over time, I valued that which I learned over that which I was able to share.

I have changed in both my religious and political views. There are some people here who have been influential - in a good way.

I believe now that Christianity is made complex and often ugly by those who claim to fall underneath its auspices. I believe in a simple approach. Love. Forgiveness. Hope. Tolerance. Comfort. This and more is what I should strive to project in my actions towards others.

Politically, I joined the National Libertarian Party as well as the Libertarian Party of Virginia. Libertarians are the only politicans who make sense to me and I can actually feel good about supporting them - it's the only party that promotes smaller government AND freedom. I no longer care to support Republicans, though I'm not confident that my views ever truly aligned with super conservative politics to begin with.

I still learn from people here and so I keep coming back. I'm quite fond of quite a few RFers...yourself included.:hug: I don't post as often as I used to but I still care about what others have to say.

Last edited: