• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you an atheist?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I'm beginning to suspect that atheism is a less than productive position.

All those people trying to figure out what we should do with our belief.. Now we need to be productive as well..
Do we have to jay? I was quite comfortable with having no extra attributes in my atheism..

lunamoth

Will to love
How is religion any more productive? People devoting their lives to muttering to the sky to some non-existent entity.

Atheists are unencumbered by any such non-sensical practices.

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

Oh Hosanna! I repent!!!!!

Honestly, what do you expect me to do when you spout unsupported tosh like that?

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Just offering you a perspective on how religion is not about muttering to the sky or nonsense. :shrug:

And one cannot act justly without God? One cannot love mercy without God? One cannot walk humbly without God?

I would counter you can. And still be unencumbered by nonsensical muttering to the sky. So in reality, what is the point to it?

lunamoth

Will to love
And one cannot act justly without God? One cannot love mercy without God? One cannot walk humbly without God?
Of course you can. (except walking humbly with your God I suppose)

I would counter you can. And still be unencumbered by nonsensical muttering to the sky. So in reality, what is the point to it?
I've never been encumbered by nonsensical muttering to the sky. Cannot a theist live without doing that?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
All those people trying to figure out what we should do with our belief.. Now we need to be productive as well..
Do we have to jay? I was quite comfortable with having no extra attributes in my atheism..
Yeap I always feel comfortable about not holding a membership card, I feel good about not needing to belong to the Orthodox Atheist Church, or the Roman Atheist Church, etc. ;)
I don't see how can normal citizens be held to be non productive simply because they don't hold a membership card for a certain denomination.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Yeap I always feel comfortable about not holding a membership card, I feel good about not needing to belong to the Orthodox Atheist Church, or the Roman Atheist Church, etc. ;)
I don't see how can normal citizens be held to be non productive simply because they don't hold a membership card for a certain denomination.

I would say I agree with that..

Not any of us need a "card" to walk around to prove who we are..If you want to "belong" to a "certain" denomination IMHO you belong to the human race..No card necessary.

:)

Love

Dallas

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I've never been encumbered by nonsensical muttering to the sky. Cannot a theist live without doing that?

If you devote ANY time towards prayer that's time wasted where you can be doing something useful. Thus, you are needlessly encumbered.

Humanistheart

I was raised in a christian home. I started as a christian, although I always feared I didn't really believe in it. It never felt real, the theological concepts were ethicaly wrong, and many portions of it were contradictory. I tried to believe for years, for some reason I can't understand anymore, but never truly could. Eventually I stopped trying to believe in christianity and tried a few other faiths for a few years before settling into athiesm. Christianity wasn't worth believing in, but there was one religion I liked and would be good for me, and I don't believe in it either, so perhaps some people are just not capable of belief.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man

My Dad showed me, what is good. I should be socially responsible and act justly, mercifully and humbly with compassion amongst my fellows and don't be deceived by people that only read one book. (My Dad 1961)

Cheers

If you devote ANY time towards prayer that's time wasted where you can be doing something useful. Thus, you are needlessly encumbered.

yet, it's none of my business (because i'm not a theist and i dont propose to know how others should live) what this moth-person does with hir time or mutterings. and to be fair, prayer has been an effective component of religions that are false for centuries, simply because talking to yourself has incredible psychological results. ever since i stopped praying i just had to shift the conversation to myself in order to reap the benefits of all this "needlessly encumbering" mutterances. if this person would have brought up emerson or socrates i doubt you would have gotten so defensive. please dont succumb to the knee jerk fundamentalism, when you are the one who is free of that.

as for my own choice to deny god's existence it actually came as a bit of disappointment when i found out he wasn't really there. it's like finally building the courage to avenge a lover's death only to find that the one responsible is already in prison. i spent an incredible amount of my life addicted to the god-concept. i loved the church because it gave me control, the bible gave me an answer to every question i had. i was unstoppable and i had god backing me up. nobody could tell me i was wrong because i knew my scruptures back and fourth, knew all the apologies, spent countless nights up reading church history and clever hebrew translations. i isolated myself from anyone who didn't buy into my dogmatic rule and created a comfort zone of brainwashed, awe-struck, impressionable friends who would never question my ability to use god to my every advantage. being in control was everything to me and i knew that god was proud of my arrogance. it was only when i realized that my control-addiction was what was driving my religious devotion and not actual facts that the whole sweater started to unravel. when i found out that god was not who i wanted him to be; all benevolent, all caring and knowlegeable, completely in control and never losing his temper or getting pushed around by his followers- that the scales began to fall from my eyes. reading parts of the bible i had only skimmed (as a merit badge to win over approval from other christians) i learned more and more about who my god was and i became disgusted. then i saw how his influence had changed my life and ripped it out of my own hands. how in an effort to gain control i forfeited the only control i had which was my own choices. i began to hate him and the more i learned, once i was out of the umbrella of his 'grace', the more my anger built. now free from the blindfold, history and science began to take a new shape, the atrocities done in the name of god and by those who claimed they worked for him marred the scape of my world and nothing could stop the anger that was growing in me. the things that this earth produced all on it's own were majestic in ways that he could never have imagined in his vain scope of human slavery. i promised god that i would tear him down brick by brick and save as many as i possibly could from his cage of a world. that all those who i had converted in my tour-of-duty with the l-rd would be back in the arms of their loved ones again and out of the world of shackles and crosses. but then the deathblow happened- and i learned that he's never been there. and more importantly that i will never get to hurt him, because he just doesnt exist. the mounting information that flooded into my library after that has helped cure me of my devotion to killing god and has taught me that living in a life without a giant father or giant enemy in the sky is better than the alternative. having someone to fight is not as good as having no one to answer to, and the life i lead now is one i would never change.

dhamma_sena

As a Buddhist , I am an atheist too . A buddhist doesn't believe in a Supreme God . I believe I have the power to shape my own destiny , and the wisdom to see things through .
Belief in a supereme God just doesn't make any sense to me . I think it is a concept that keeps people blinded from their own capabilities .

MSizer

MSizer
I became an atheist so I could use eugenics to raise a superior race that will dominate the world by ruthlessly killing off the inferiors and quelching any sense of morality. Then I will summon satan to take his rightful place on earth and the only possible result of atheism shall be met.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I became an atheist so I could use eugenics to raise a superior race that will dominate the world by ruthlessly killing off the inferiors and quelching any sense of morality. Then I will summon satan to take his rightful place on earth and the only possible result of atheism shall be met.
Shame on those who think that atheism *often* handicaps one's morality. :sarcastic