• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are "some" old people impossible to debate with?

enlightener

if people would take the time and read the bible the way it is and quit trying to change it cause they don't like what it says

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I went back and added the word "some" because of those with higher intellect

Like you :angel2:

You know, putting "some" in there doesn't really change that you drew a direct and rather straight line between stupidity and old age. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You know, putting "some" in there doesn't really change that you drew a direct and rather straight line between stupidity and old age. :D
It needn't be stupidity. I read it as curmudegonliness & cantankerousness.
But haven't we all noticed at times that people in some groups tend to have testy conversations?
Sometimes it's about who does the noticing (inherent bias), & other timees it's about groups having
chips on shoulders. For me, it's the Rush Limbaugh style feminists who stand out most. Its the
difficulty me or them? The answer depends upon who you ask. (Oh, I'm gonna get it now!)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Everyone has occasional gems of wisdom, but you'll miss them if you learn to expect something else.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Is it true you cannot teach some old dogs new tricks?

I will say it is very true based on my observations when debating old people.

It really does go beyond reason and rational conversations. The intellect used is completely absurd. Comprehensive skills are out the window.

It is not just this forum, Im involved in many forums and hobbies, and this is ridiculous behaviour in every forum.

Please share your frustration. :p

In the UK you would (mostly) get shot down in flames for this attitude. You would be accused of gross bigotry....... Ageism is considered to be totally unacceptable here and in many situations is now unlawful.

However...... Yes, I have noticed unreasonable, closed, bigoted and crazy attitudes from the occasional older member, not that their age was anything to do with their mindset. Here is an example, taken from this very thread. You can tell them instantly from the writing style, attitude, abruptness, lack of debating skill, lack of reasoned proposals, etc. They also expand their posts, possibly as an attention seeking method.
Here we go:-

Never said they did.

That is not always the case. Age does not mean experience, education or knowledge.

It means they are old. Nothing more

Ridiculous

Age does not dictate that.

Not all.

:facepalm:

Ridiculous.

It means that no amount of reason or knowledge will change their stubborn minds.

You go ahead and do just that.

When someone is blatenty wrong, they are wrong. :facepalm:

There you go........ you can always tell 'em..... :)

steeltoes

Is it true you cannot teach some old dogs new tricks?

I will say it is very true based on my observations when debating old people.

It really does go beyond reason and rational conversations. The intellect used is completely absurd. Comprehensive skills are out the window.

It is not just this forum, Im involved in many forums and hobbies, and this is ridiculous behaviour in every forum.

Please share your frustration. :p

The irony here is that I have never known you to engage in debate. When confronted with an argument you toss ad homs at the author rather than deal with the points made. In an actual debate you would have to concede the points, end of story.

Now you are resorting to bigotry, as if an opponents age has something to do with the sad fact that you have no debating skills.

outhouse

Atheistically
The irony here is that I have never known you to engage in debate. When confronted with an argument you toss ad homs at the author rather than deal with the points made. In an actual debate you would have to concede the points, end of story.

Now you are resorting to bigotry, as if an opponents age has something to do with the sad fact that you have no debating skills.

If you throw out or use ignorance. You wont get a debate.

You follow an unsupported obscure view of a historical Jesus. So you dont have a real debate to begin with.

You also denounce education and knowlegde on the topic, thus, you dont have a credible position.

But thanks for the typical, usual, off topic personal attack. I expected no less.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I also endorse your observation.

Regards