• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are "some" old people impossible to debate with?

MD

qualiaphile
Close........ I'm close...! :)

I am 65 and my wife is 46 (but very very poorly just now). You can have the golf, cigar and convertible (model boats and cycling for me) but you won't need a tonne of viagara, only about 50mg...... :biglaugh:

However, you know that you mustn't wish away a single day.... not one.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I live everyday to the fullest, but I'm hoping to just unwind and relax once I hit my late 60s. 40 years left!

Oh and definitely will have a dog.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Is it true you cannot teach some old dogs new tricks?

I will say it is very true based on my observations when debating old people.

It really does go beyond reason and rational conversations. The intellect used is completely absurd. Comprehensive skills are out the window.

It is not just this forum, Im involved in many forums and hobbies, and this is ridiculous behaviour in every forum.

Please share your frustration. :p

I beleive I am old enough (72) to know all the old tricks and still have plenty of intelligence enough to come up with a few new ones of my own.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Easy!
It's because some young people are impossible to debate with, & then they grow old...if they're lucky.
Some changes do happen with age, like the tendency to wear a hat while driving, or yelling at kids to get off the lawn.

I am fairly young when it comes to debate since I had a post in 2007 which is only seven years ago but I believe i am holding my own with more experienced debaters.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit. Ways of thinking are no different. The more times you hear the same thing, the more likely you are to retain it. However, it isn't all people as you suggest, because sometimes that same way of thinking it to have an open mind.

But there are also young whippersnappers who like to think they know everything when they know very little. Us old guys have little patience for them either.

Older Budweiser? I believe the more one tokes up the less brain he has to think rationally.

outhouse

Atheistically
I beleive I am old enough (72) to know all the old tricks and still have plenty of intelligence enough to come up with a few new ones of my own.

Despite our different beliefs [opposite views] .

I have never had a problem with you, and enjoy your replies, and call you one of my religious brothers.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Being oldish, I think I've seen what gets accepted as "truth" change among young folks as often as the seasons.

If you don't like what has been accepted as fact, wait long enough and it will change. Each generation coming along thinking they have the correct thinking or correct concept of morals. Hard to continue to be flexible enough to remain contemporary.

So you get told your wrong enough times by enough people for whatever reason. Regardless of what your views are, plenty people about claiming you are wrong about it.

So you get tried of trying to keep up on the latest thinking and decide your opinion is as good as the next fellow's.

And, if you wait around long enough, your opinions might even come into vogue again and you can go about claiming you were right all along.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Older Budweiser? I believe the more one tokes up the less brain he has to think rationally.

I believe that too. There are many who might disagree with us, if they can remember what it is they're disagreeing about.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@nakosis.
There is a truth in this!

At least older people can call upon experience over a longer period of time. Whipper snappers can't so the young can only be intransigent based on their arrogance and budding stupidity!

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Is it true you cannot teach some old dogs new tricks?

I will say it is very true based on my observations when debating old people.

It really does go beyond reason and rational conversations. The intellect used is completely absurd. Comprehensive skills are out the window.

It is not just this forum, Im involved in many forums and hobbies, and this is ridiculous behaviour in every forum.

Please share your frustration. :p

Brain patterns are formed, and the longer they are formed the more "neural connections" are formed to these ideals. There's actually a scientific reason as to why old people are stubborn in there ways and ideals. Plus they walked 10 miles up hill both ways in the snow during an earthquake just to get to school and you can't argue with that perseverance. :D

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Full gear ;) sort of at a professional level. I help train the worlds fastest man on a motorcycle. My best friend, measely 394mph

What kind of bike do you ride outhouse... and I was just looking at that 394 bike ride the other day I think. I was looking at landspeed records because one of the dudes in one of the car forums I'm a member of is making a land speed car, and I saw that. I do 130, and mu *** puckers tighter than a pretty boy in the federal penitentiary lol. Can't imagine going 3 times as fast as that. What type of bike does he ride, or is it custom?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My Grandpa once spent a lengthy discussion on the Earth being flat.
We went about it for almost half an hour.

Looking back....I think he was just testing my head.

But he never let on....played to the hilt.
When I get to wherever he went I'll have to ask him if he was serious!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
That is what I do get frustrated with.

When reason no longer applies or works, it is not a debate anymore is it?
The issue is when YOU THINK Have superior reasoning skills.

What we have here is a lack of respect for opinions that are different than your own.

Why is it that when you can't change a persons mind you feel the need to attack a person because of their age?

Different generations have different opinions both would be best to respect each other's differences.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The issue is when YOU THINK Have superior reasoning skills.

What we have here is a lack of respect for opinions that are different than your own.

Why is it that when you can't change a persons mind you feel the need to attack a person because of their age?

Different generations have different opinions both would be best to respect each other's differences.

That goes with the old, tired out quotation: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". The best a person can do is put the information he/she believes in out there: It's up to others whether they believe it or not.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We do want to be a free society right?

In a free society we all should be allowed to think and reason differently.

outhouse

Atheistically
What kind of bike do you ride outhouse... and I was just looking at that 394 bike ride the other day I think. I was looking at landspeed records because one of the dudes in one of the car forums I'm a member of is making a land speed car, and I saw that. I do 130, and mu *** puckers tighter than a pretty boy in the federal penitentiary lol. Can't imagine going 3 times as fast as that. What type of bike does he ride, or is it custom?

I have a slightly modded Ducati 1199.

His bike is called the Ackattack, Mike Aclatiff owns it and hires Rocky to drive it.

Official Website of Rocky Robinson The Author!

The Fastest Bike in the World - cockpit view - YouTube