• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are So Many Creationists Conspiracy Theorists?

rocketman

Out there...
so then the Evolution Conspiracy is about scientists being in league with satan? *emphasis mine
If you read the book he's talking about then your 'emphasis' would be different I suspect. They are not saying that scientists have willingly and deliberately engaged in some kind of massive organised conspiracy. There is certainly no evidence provided in that book. I think the title is sensationalist and a poor choice.

This also sounds very conspiracy thoery to me. From John Morris
A political article about 'trying to destroy ICR' is very different to a claim that science is one big cover up of evidence etc.

Kent Hovind has so many conspiracy theories he gets a whole page.
Yep, he needs serious help. But I still maintain he is the minority.

just a few, I'm sure with more time and more careing a flip, I'd find more. :cool:
Great. If you dig up something that matches Sunstone's claim for the OP that most creationists think that everyone was involved in some kind of massive cover up, then drop me a line. Be sure to let me know how all of the creationists who are also qualified biologists somehow missed the evidence of the cover up during their time at universities.

Peace.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I would have thought the leaders of the IRC and AiG would be as leaders of the commuinty fairly representative of the group.
As well as a 'scientist' from the group and a politician representing the group...

I thought it was a fairly good sample.
I'm not saying ALL creationists feel this way, but the organized ones seem to be more likely to fall in the spectrum.

wa:do

blackout

Violet.
OMG Brendan! You are TRULY the all time master of compelling one-line profundities.

All that and you make me LAUGH and smile inside... all at the very same time!

Blow me away.
(check for frubals)

~Amin~

God is the King
Why do so many creationists believe tens of thousands of scientists are in some kind of conspiracy to hide weaknesses in evolutionary theory?
I just think its MIND BLOWING for and one to
seriously believe in evolution theory ,
because even Darwin said its only a THEORY.

Diogenes

In the eastern world, starting with India, the thought that All is Spirit became the presuppositional thought. Every aspect of their culture flowed from this. In the western world the presuppositional thought was that All is Matter. History has panned out in favor of the western world, as the European cultures spread out everywhere under the umbrella of imperialism. Hence the now current dominating world view which includes science, history, religion etc. If you take these two opposing thoughts and 'square' them off you find two other possibilities. One is that All is neither Spirit or Matter and the other is that Some is Spirit and Some is Matter. It is possible that two diametrically opposite thoughts could both be false. A conspiracy is not necessary if no other presuppositional thought is ever examined. All subsequent possible thoughts would have flowed from the first Thought.

blackout

Violet.
Guess what, gravity is a theory..

yes, and look how the details change and change and change....
and then even within competing theories,
the sub theories are explained differently.
which is fine. after all, they are in fact theories.
but I myself do not "gravitate" towards "belief"
in the world of ever "evolving" theories myself.
(while that's not to say that many of them are not quite interesting.)
(still, I feel no compulsion to explain and catagorize every little thing)
(though I would be wholly interested in hearing scientists theoretical
lab tested results on the phenomenon of conspiracy!
thus, conspiracy theory, or the theory of conspiracy.
perhaps it's all relative? but then that's just my own theory....):cool:

Smoke

Done here.
Why do so many creationists believe tens of thousands of scientists are in some kind of conspiracy to hide weaknesses in evolutionary theory?
Well, if they're "Creation Scientists" or proponents of "Intelligent Design" (which, in spite of all their disclaimers, are really the same thing), they pretty much have to believe that, don't they? What other explanation could there be for something patently unscientific (as they claim evolution) being so widely and enthusiastically accepted by scientists? Scientists differ on various aspects of evolution, but there is no scientific controversy at all about whether it occurs or about whether humans have evolved from other species. If you're a Creationist, how do you explain that?

1) Creationism is false. The true and obvious answer, but one Creationists are unwilling to accept.

2) The scientific method doesn't work. Creationists often do attack the "worldview" of scientists, but the fact remains that the scientific method does work, and that Creationists themselves are willing to accept that it works in every single area that doesn't conflict with their religious beliefs. (Besides evolutionary biology, that often includes geology and astronomy.) So Creationists have to obfuscate a bit. They talk about "naturalistic worldview" and the like, which in this context really just means failing to accept religious teachings when they have been shown to be false. So this explanation isn't very satisfying.

3) It's a conspiracy. Not at all convincing, especially considering the way the scientific community works. A scientist who overturned evolution would have the world at his feet. But if you believe something laughable, if you believe something that has been shown to be patently false must be true, you may be willing to grasp at straws.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
All science is is theories. Why should we not believe in theories that are true?

meogi

~Amin~ said:
Yes, only a theory that Darwin knew would need more (he already had a bunch) evidence to back it up later. Which was found. In fact, the theory addressed how the evidence would most likely be found. And it was right. Which changed it from a theory, to a theory. There have also been recent breakthroughs in genetics, biology, geology and paleontology, all of which have the potential to utterly destroy the theory, but do not.

Theories accurately account for large bodies of evidence (facts). They are stronger than facts. The reasons (purpose) that the theory works, may or may not be known (gravity for instance), but it does not make it any less of a theory.

theNEWreality said:
yes, and look how the details change and change and change....
Are you suggesting theories shouldn't be dynamic? That goes against the scientific method. Also, what details about F=(G*m1*m2)/R^2 have changed and changed and changed? The reason (purpose) behind the theory may not be known, and is dynamic. But, it's no less of a theory because we don't understand why two objects attract each other. The 'theories' that explains 'why' are just hypotheses...

theNEWreality said:
(still, I feel no compulsion to explain and catagorize every little thing)
Good thing you aren't a theory then. :)

blackout

Violet.
Are you suggesting theories shouldn't be dynamic? That goes against the scientific method. :)

Far be it for me to suggest that ANYTHING be less than DYNAMIC!

Change... movement... new insight... is life alive!
I am not one to try and hang onto anything.
I am a musician after all...............
not a scientist.
The only "theory" i know is "music theory".
The only "method" I know is my method of teaching others
to play ... and understand music for themselves....
DYNAMICALLY.

As utterly facsinating as music theory is however....
I prefer myself,
just diving into the music and playing around.

Have I more in common with the scientist than I realize?
or no? :shrug:

meogi

theNEWreality said:
Have I more in common with the scientist than I realize?
or no? :shrug:
Music is an art, not a science. I think music theory (the science behind music) just explains how to play music (or analyze how someone else played their music), it doesn't really address how it should be played. Although, it may (I don't know much about music theory), but then it is just suggesting what human preference for sound arangements are, which is subjective and more a statistic than a theory.

Jam on man, jam on! :)

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Everything is science is a theory. Electricity is a theory. While I have problems with viewing evolution as a fact, there is nothing wrong in believing that it is correct, unless you have managed to find evidence which blows a hole clean through it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I like the theory that its little invisible critters that make you sick not demons.
Germ theory... its just a theory!

wa:do

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am beginning to wonder if conspiracy theories are not just a part of human nature. Question and distrust anything that you have been told is factual.

I always said that the Earth is Flat. Everyone knows that!