• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Jehovah's Witnesses reluctant to discuss their faith?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Specifically, I'm wondering why Jehovah's Witnesses seem so hesitant to even consider, let alone talk about, how being a JW plays a role in shaping their views on science.

Over the last couple of years I've discussed and debated various science-related issues with JWs (mostly evolutionary biology), and for the most part it goes like any other stereotypical interaction with creationists. However, as soon as I even mention the possibility that maybe being a JW, and facing all the social and emotional consequences that would ensue should they waver from JW doctrine on the subject, plays a role in how they view the science (the data, analyses, and conclusions), the conversation usually shuts down very quickly. In one case here at RF, the JW immediately, and rather angrily, put me on ignore.

Why is that? Many creationists from other denominations I've discussed this with don't seem to have a problem acknowledging how their belief in scripture influences their views on science. In fact, they usually seem quite proud of it.

But not Jehovah's Witnesses. It seems to me as soon as someone says something like "Well of course you reject that, you're a Jehovah's Witness...you have to", the JWs tend to get quite upset. It's almost like they're ashamed of their own religion's doctrine or something.

Any thoughts on why that might be?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone would get upset at that sort of bad faith reasoning. Just like if a religious person presented what they felt was evidence for the divine and, when you disagreed, said 'Well of course you reject that, you're an atheist...you have to'
Don't get me wrong, I think the Watchtower Society's published science arguments have been out of date for the better part of three decades. But any conversation is going to be shut down if you lead with telling people what they 'have' to believe.

shmogie

Specifically, I'm wondering why Jehovah's Witnesses seem so hesitant to even consider, let alone talk about, how being a JW plays a role in shaping their views on science.

Over the last couple of years I've discussed and debated various science-related issues with JWs (mostly evolutionary biology), and for the most part it goes like any other stereotypical interaction with creationists. However, as soon as I even mention the possibility that maybe being a JW, and facing all the social and emotional consequences that would ensue should they waver from JW doctrine on the subject, plays a role in how they view the science (the data, analyses, and conclusions), the conversation usually shuts down very quickly. In one case here at RF, the JW immediately, and rather angrily, put me on ignore.

Why is that? Many creationists from other denominations I've discussed this with don't seem to have a problem acknowledging how their belief in scripture influences their views on science. In fact, they usually seem quite proud of it.

But not Jehovah's Witnesses. It seems to me as soon as someone says something like "Well of course you reject that, you're a Jehovah's Witness...you have to", the JWs tend to get quite upset. It's almost like they're ashamed of their own religion's doctrine or something.

I have studied with JWś for years. They find me to be an excellent foil in that I question their faith on a whole variety of fronts. If they want to come to my home and discuss the Bible with me, I am happy to do so.

Since I am an ex atheist turned believer, I am a creationist, so we are pretty much in harmony on that issue.

However, over the years they have been pretty open about their doctrine on other issues, even the bad stuff I have rooted out.

I will explore this with them and see what the deal is.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I have never had any problem with Jehovah`s Witnesses. Not sure I understand your negative view of them.

David1967

Premium Member

I know quite a few Jehovah's Witnesses, and I've never met one yet that wasn't very willing to discuss their beliefs with me.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Anyone would get upset at that sort of bad faith reasoning. Just like if a religious person presented what they felt was evidence for the divine and, when you disagreed, said 'Well of course you reject that, you're an atheist...you have to'
That's not the same thing. AFAIK, atheists are not under threat of emotional and social ruin should they waver in their views.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Watchtower Society's published science arguments have been out of date for the better part of three decades. But any conversation is going to be shut down if you lead with telling people what they 'have' to believe.
????? I'm not telling them what they have to believe, their church is. All I'm doing is taking that information and asking JWs questions about it.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
First of all, there is no threat. How could there be? I’m anonymous on here. Everyone is.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I have never had any problem with Jehovah`s Witnesses. Not sure I understand your negative view of them.
It's not a negative view of JWs as a whole. It's more a curiosity as to why they're so reluctant to acknowledge and discuss how JW doctrine and policies play a role in shaping their views on science.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
First of all, there is no threat. How could there be? I’m anonymous on here. Everyone is.
The "threat" isn't from me or anyone else here; it's from the JW organization and how members who deviate from JW doctrine on something like evolution will be treated. Deeje described it to me as "being treated like a rotten piece of fruit" and "someone spreading poison". Was she wrong?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's not a negative view of JWs as a whole. It's more a curiosity as to why they're so reluctant to acknowledge and discuss how JW doctrine and policies play a role in shaping their views on science.
Science and Religion often not go hand in hand because they see things differently. And as far as my knowledge about JW they tend to not look much at science since they get their understanding from the scripture. Nothing wrong in that.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The "threat" isn't from me or anyone else here; it's from the JW organization and how members who deviate from JW doctrine on something like evolution will be treated. Deeje described it to me as "being treated like a rotten piece of fruit" and "someone spreading poison". Was she wrong?
How could you misinterpret what I just said?!
I wasn’t saying there was a threat from you. You implied there was a threat from the JW organization. How can there be, for any Witness or anyone?
We’re anonymous on here.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You changed your picture! Looking good, Tony!

By the way I am ROFLOL that a JW is reluctant to share their faith, a bit like saying a Baha'i is reluctant to share their faith. :)

At the same time and on the other hand my JW friends make me realise they are very skillful in diverting the topic back to core and fundamental aspects of faith.

Now we have to ask is that reluctance, or wisdom? :)

I wish you always well and happy, Regards Tony

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
How could you misinterpret what I just said?!
I wasn’t saying there was a threat from you. You implied there was a threat from the JW organization. How can there be, for any Witness or anyone?
We’re anonymous on here.
That only applies if you were to take one position in these forums, but take a different one when around your fellow JWs. Do you do that?