• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are Christians Slaughtered Around The World

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
why are Christians persecuted?
same reasons why gays, Hindus, Shiks, Jains, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Pagans, and every other group is persecuted. and Christians are involved in the persecution of some of those groups.
You are a sick individual if you believe that this somehow justifies christian abuse. What difference does it make who is involved in the persecution, unless you are trying to downplay the significance of the current and historical abuse of christians because of their belief?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
so which group can take the moral high ground? non. so where do we go from there? we stop looking at victims of persecution as being part of x group or y group, and just look at them as people. like i said, i don't see any reason for religion to play any part in looking at who is persecuted, otherwise it just becomes a ******* contest of who is most persecuted. no offense to anyone here, but this ******* contest can already be seen.
Who is trying to take the moral high ground? The purpose ofthe OP as I see it was to discuss the reason why christians are targeted. If you don't like the discussion then tough, you didn't start the thread.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
You are a sick individual if you believe that this somehow justifies christian abuse. What difference does it make who is involved in the persecution, unless you are trying to downplay the significance of the current and historical abuse of christians because of their belief?

I don't think that's what Mike is doing. I think he's just showing that Christians aren't the only ones that are getting kill, and that even they have and do do what all the other are doing. Every ones guilty weather they see it or not.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I don't think that's what Mike is doing. I think he's just showing that Christians aren't the only ones that are getting kill, and that even they have and do do what all the other are doing. Every ones guilty weather they see it or not.
Then he should be more clear on such a subject, and I still think it makes little difference to the questions int he OP. If someone wants to discuss or debate how much suffering has been done to others in the name of christianity such threads have been started numerous times so you can go there. The OP is asking what is it about christianity that makes it targeted.

And NOT everyone is guilty. I haven't done these things and I would venture to say that nether have you. The attitude of indifference toward any group thoughis a little disconserting.

Mike182

Flaming Queer

erm... have you read any of my posts over the last two and a half years on this forum? if you have, then you will know that i would never even try to justify any abuse.

i am saying all abuse is equal, and equally bad. the fact that they are Christians shouldn't be a factor in how we judge it as abuse.

Who is trying to take the moral high ground? The purpose ofthe OP as I see it was to discuss the reason why christians are targeted. If you don't like the discussion then tough, you didn't start the thread.

i didn't say anyone is trying to take the moral high ground, however, to say Christians have never persecuted would be a blatant lie, even today. there is a vicious cycle of historical abuse and victimisation, and the way forwards does not in my opinion involve looking at victims as being "Christians" or "Hindus" but as people. why do we need to make a distinction about the victims being of one religion or another? i don't think we do, and that is what i am saying.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
erm... have you read any of my posts over the last two and a half years on this forum? if you have, then you will know that i would never even try to justify any abuse.

i am saying all abuse is equal, and equally bad. the fact that they are Christians shouldn't be a factor in how we judge it as abuse.

i didn't say anyone is trying to take the moral high ground, however, to say Christians have never persecuted would be a blatant lie, even today. there is a vicious cycle of historical abuse and victimisation, and the way forwards does not in my opinion involve looking at victims as being "Christians" or "Hindus" but as people. why do we need to make a distinction about the victims being of one religion or another? i don't think we do, and that is what i am saying.
Just wanted clarification.

The subject of the OP is i reference to christianity. I agree that persecution is wrong regardless of creed, but that is not the subject at hand.

And over the past four years that I have been on this forum, I continually see threads that portray christianity as villainous persecutors, why is it suddenly a bad thing to try to discuss the fact that christianity is victimized as well? To discuss christianity from one side and not from another seems quite unfair and I think points to an overall theme that has been on this forum for some time. Seems that christianity is continually portrayed as the culprit for many of the current and historical ills of the world. I am getting tired of this line of thought, but perhaps this is a subject for another thread as well.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
The subject of the OP is i reference to christianity. I agree that persecution is wrong regardless of creed, but that is not the subject at hand.

then i have completely misread the theme of the thread.

i thought i had been clear in my posts, obviously not, and for that i apologise.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
then i have completely misread the theme of the thread.

i thought i had been clear in my posts, obviously not, and for that i apologise.
No reason for apology Mike, you have always been fair and kind. I know you didn't mean anything negative, only positive. I publicly apologize for reacting the way that I did. You didn't deserve that. Peace.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think that an accurate explanation was given. Between India, China, North Korea, Islamic nations and all communist nations, I think that there is close to that number killed OR persecuted each day. Why is that so hard to believe? Why don't you want to believe it? As far as the last post with all of those questions about other premature deaths, I think there is a big difference between those who die of disease or are murdered for no reason, and those who are specificallt targetted because of their religious creed, don't you? That post seemed a little naive to me.
Show stats to back up your claims, please. It seems you may have overlooked my link and a few others in this thread that show otherwise.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Show stats to back up your claims, please. It seems you may have overlooked my link and a few others in this thread that show otherwise.
You can't create statistics for something as subjective as persecuted. For all intensive purposes, he is correct because virtually anything can be hyperbolized into persecution.
Hmm, hyperbolized... I think I just made a word up.

Back to the OP.
The same reason anybody is persecuted.

Smoke

Done here.
You can't create statistics for something as subjective as persecuted. For all intensive purposes, he is correct because virtually anything can be hyperbolized into persecution.
However, several people (not Buddy) have created statistics -- and in the absence of any evidence to support them, I think they have created them, or their sources have -- for something as objective as being killed.

The problem with creating such unsubstantiated statistics is obvious on this thread: the whole discussion degenerates into an unseemly squabble about numbers, instead of focusing on the very real and widespread persecution of Christians.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
However, several people (not Buddy) have created statistics -- and in the absence of any evidence to support them, I think they have created them, or their sources have -- for something as objective as being killed.
Creating a reliable number for people of a denomination killed is remarkably difficult, even in the US. If the persecution and killing is as widespread as some purport, you are not going to get reliable numbers.
"I didn't stab him officer, he just sorta fell on my knife. Twelve times"

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The problem with creating such unsubstantiated statistics is obvious on this thread: the whole discussion degenerates into an unseemly squabble about numbers, instead of focusing on the very real and widespread persecution of Christians.
For me, the motivation is not to negate the fact that Christians are persecuted on a daily basis. However, if the numbers are exaggerated through speculation on one side or the other, it does not help the OP nor anyone's knowledge regarding the issue.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
From Voice of the Martyrs:

From "The Voice of the Martyrs", March 2002

The following statistics, which show Christians persecuted for their faith, relate only to a small branch of China's giant house church movement. This small branch contains less than 500,000 members, and is less than one percent of China's Christians. These statistics cover a 19-year period through 2001.

Christians arrested: 23,686
Christians sent away for "re-education through labor": 4,014
Christians forced to flee to avoid arrest: 1,545
Christians permanently handicapped by police abuse: 208
Christians killed by police: 129

Here is a rescource with lists of articles by date that show incidents of abuse. Christian Persecution Information

I didn't go through and count every single person, and perhaps the number of 1000 wasn't enough, but the point was that it is happening consistently and in a big number.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Percentages of what exactly?
To ascribe every single thing which happens to a minority inside a totalitarian regime is broken. Unless the percentage of Christians persecuted is greater or lower than the percent of people persecuted anyhow, those numbers don't mean anything. Other than people are being persecuted (which in this case means arrest, "reeducation", forced to flee, killed, maimed, etc)