• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are certain mythologies more popular than others?

Lorgar-Aurelian

I've noticed in communicating with various pagans online and in person that certain mythologies are far more popular among the pagans than others. But not just pagans. Among popular culture it almost always seems like we get the big 3 , Egypt, Norse, greek and little else. Why isn't Mesopotamian mythology more popular? I have my own opinions on this but I am curious to hear what you think.

I would say that the popular mythologies among pagans and the popular culture have a big effect on one another. With some people I know only getting into paganism after reading things like the Thor comics which got them to study the actual myths.

SethZaddik

Culture, region you live in, quality of the tale, esoteric vs. exoteric.

Many reasons. Myths are popular because the truth sucks to some sometimes. Just like today people believe myths that are sold as news and biographies of important people are mythological even sometimes.

I do like mythology though. You can find similar myths in far away regions that had no probable contact.

SethZaddik

Mesopotamian mythology has fans.

Epic of Gilgamesh is the oldest surviving story in the world and features Tammuz, Ishtar (Osiris, Isis), the Biblical Rephaim are mentionied, Enkidu.

It is the foundation of a lot of Greek mythology as is Phoenicia, India, Egypt.

That's what makes Greek mythology popular because it incorporates the world's collective mythology in it.

Cronos-Saturn-El are the same for instance, Greek-Roman-Semitic

Dionysius is Osiris

Adonis is Bacchus

Appollo is the sun god I think.

Hercules-Sampson-Gilgamesh

SethZaddik

No, there are parallels drawn, but that's not to say that - for instance - Dionysus is and always was intended to be Osiris.

Osiris is the source of Dionysus mythology.

It's not innaccurate to say they are the same. One is Egyptian the other Greco-Egyptian.

Even etymologically there is a connection.

I forget exactly how but I have seen it broken down.

SethZaddik

Are there archeological sources to support that, or conjecture and UPG?

If you knew 2 seconds ago that it was not the case you should also know why not.

Comparitive mythology is based on all kinds of evidence but mainly the mythology and etymology.

Yes there is plenty of evidence and it is not at all conjecture. You can easily find information online.

SethZaddik

Only I'm asking you. I am also not talking about their myths in general, but the whole "Dionysus began as Osiris so they're the same god" thing.

My answer is look it up yourself. It is not my job to teach you because you challenge me about something.

Google it.

I am positive you Will be able to confirm the link. 100%

I like having discussions not debating with people who don't know things but are still willing to challenge them as if they did know.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Culture, region you live in, quality of the tale, esoteric vs. exoteric.

Many reasons. Myths are popular because the truth sucks to some sometimes. Just like today people believe myths that are sold as news and biographies of important people are mythological even sometimes.

I do like mythology though. You can find similar myths in far away regions that had no probable contact.

Mesopotamian mythology has fans.

Epic of Gilgamesh is the oldest surviving story in the world and features Tammuz, Ishtar (Osiris, Isis), the Biblical Rephaim are mentionied, Enkidu.

It is the foundation of a lot of Greek mythology as is Phoenicia, India, Egypt.

That's what makes Greek mythology popular because it incorporates the world's collective mythology in it.

Cronos-Saturn-El are the same for instance, Greek-Roman-Semitic

Dionysius is Osiris

Adonis is Bacchus

Appollo is the sun god I think.

Hercules-Sampson-Gilgamesh

No, there are parallels drawn, but that's not to say that - for instance - Dionysus is and always was intended to be Osiris.

Osiris is the source of Dionysus mythology.

It's not innaccurate to say they are the same. One is Egyptian the other Greco-Egyptian.

Even etymologically there is a connection.

I forget exactly how but I have seen it broken down.

Are there archeological sources to support that, or conjecture and UPG?

If you knew 2 seconds ago that it was not the case you should also know why not.

Comparitive mythology is based on all kinds of evidence but mainly the mythology and etymology.

Yes there is plenty of evidence and it is not at all conjecture. You can easily find information online.

Mythology is preserved from archeology in books mostly. Formerly on tablets of clay.

So if there was none you would not know who either are.

Only I'm asking you. I am also not talking about their myths in general, but the whole "Dionysus began as Osiris so they're the same god" thing.

My answer is look it up yourself. It is not my job to teach you because you challenge me about something.

Google it.

I am positive you Will be able to confirm the link. 100%

I like having discussions not debating with people who don't know things but are still willing to challenge them as if they did know.

What's the point of discussion if you're just going to direct people to Google?

Lovely gentlemen, I like this. Granted it feels really one sided but you know that could be my bias showing.

littlefire

You can call me Fio
I'm really curious about this as well. When I was taught classical myths in grade school, the "Big 3" (+ Roman) were the only ones taught, so they're the only ones I've had a reference frame for. Completely conjecture here, but Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and Norse cultures in the (Christian) curriculum I was taught were focused on because of their connections to the history of Christianity and/or the predominant Eurocentric historical narrative (Norse mythology in particular was only taught because Leif Erickson existed) so maybe there's a structural power dynamic at play?

Lorgar-Aurelian

I'm really curious about this as well. When I was taught classical myths in grade school, the "Big 3" (+ Roman) were the only ones taught, so they're the only ones I've had a reference frame for. Completely conjecture here, but Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and Norse cultures in the (Christian) curriculum I was taught were focused on because of their connections to the history of Christianity and/or the predominant Eurocentric historical narrative (Norse mythology in particular was only taught because Leif Erickson existed) so maybe there's a structural power dynamic at play?
Could be though I've often thought it could have more to do with who is turning to paganism. Seems like it's most Europeans and americans.

littlefire

You can call me Fio
Could be though I've often thought it could have more to do with who is turning to paganism. Seems like it's most Europeans and americans.
Good point. I think those concepts are related, as Europeans and European-descended Americans have, historically and presently, had more power to define and re-define history, which in turn influences the subjects of interest of those same people in the present. I'm a millennial college student so I have some biases in upbringing, but to me this whole matter points to structural power differentials and colonialism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We should consider simple access and exposure. Nordic and Greek mythologies are of European origin, after all. There is a reason why Mayan mythology is so little understood even today.

SethZaddik

What's the point of discussion if you're just going to direct people to Google?

Because if I explain it you it is just me saying it.

If you have the urge to know something you will learn more on the information super highway that's the internet than from me.

And there is a chance you will just plain reject my answer because I disagreed with you which would be a waste of my time.

So I say Google it because it is what Google is for. Finding information.