• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Agree with God?

Naama

Chibi Lilith
Person? I thought we were talking about God here.

I suppose it still kind of makes sense, that the first being to come up with the idea for a working universe is de facto the best at it.

How is God not a person? He can think and feel can't he?

How do we know God was the first? He is just the only one we know about.

Axe Elf

Prophet
How is God not a person? He can think and feel can't he?

So can my cat; doesn't make him a person. God is the creator of persons, so He could not be one Himself--but I tell you what... You get God registered to vote, and we'll talk.

How do we know God was the first? He is just the only one we know about.

"First" was your concept. My position is just that God is the resident expert on what makes this universe work, as the only being we know of who has actually created one.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
So can my cat; doesn't make him a person. God is the creator of persons, so He could not be one Himself--but I tell you what... You get God registered to vote, and we'll talk.

"First" was your concept. My position is just that God is the resident expert on what makes this universe work, as the only being we know of who has actually created one.

Your being silly again. Bye bye for now.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
It's literally the cornerstone of Heaven... God is LOVE afterall.

In Judaism at least, God can be angry, wrathful, and jealous. Also in Juadaism heaven is a palace for the angels not for humans.

Um... because "He" can wipe us out or bless us and knows what is going on in our lives and how we can even get what we want.

I wouldn't worship a dictator if he pointed a gun to my head and demands it......

Axe Elf

Prophet
Your being silly again. Bye bye for now.

So countering your objections = being silly.

You asked why we should agree with God, and I gave you a legitimate reason--Him being the author of creation and all.

Remind me not to try to help you understand things in the future, if this is an example of your gratitude and reasoning.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
So countering your objections = being silly.

You asked why we should agree with God, and I gave you a legitimate reason--Him being the author of creation and all.

Remind me not to try to help you understand things in the future, if this is an example of your gratitude.

I tried to be a bit nicer, but I think I need to be more open with you.

You mess up with logic a lot and your very arrogant. I don't feel like us talking is getting anywhere.

If you do not mind I would greatly prefer if we can simply go our separate ways without holding too much bitterness in our hearts.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I tried to be a bit nicer, but I think I need to be more open with you.

You mess up with logic a lot and your very arrogant. I don't feel like us talking is getting anywhere.

If you do not mind I would greatly prefer if we can simply go our separate ways without holding too much bitterness in our hearts.

It is always a bitter concession for me when illogical thinking and willful ignorance triumph over more rational means of gaining knowledge, but to each their own--as you wish.

I believe God as described by Judaism exist, but I am baffled by why so many people believe that becuase a god or goddess exists that we should agree with their rules and attitudes.

Why is this so prevelant?

Thanks for your time and please play nice. :)

If I understand you correctly, you are asking: Why do people automatically condone their deity’s actions and accept their demands?

If so, it is because, simply, that is what they believe is proper to do.

As I mentioned in the OP, I believe in the God of Judaism, not the Trinity of Christianity.

I am curious. Why Judaism? Why not Islam? They are the same make and model of automobile so to speak, only different colors, with different options.

Like in Islam, are you not awaiting the coming of a redeemer who will pick up a weapon, galvanize some armies, slay some people, and establish justice?

I didn't say otherwise, only the Christian has to live up to theirs as well.

Again, it sounds like you are saying there is a precondition for God to uphold his end of the bargain; that we uphold our end, too. This is not true. Think of the Parable of the Lost Son – God is always there. But if you mean that we must go to God in order to find God, I agree with that.

It sounds like you are saying there is no grace. But maybe I am totally misunderstanding you.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe God as described by Judaism exist, but I am baffled by why so many people believe that becuase a god or goddess exists that we should agree with their rules and attitudes.

Simply put, if God is All-Knowing God knows more than any human. If God knows more than we know why would we ever question God's rules or attitudes? That would be foolish.

God is also All-Wise so God is wiser than any human.

Why would we even believe in a God if it did not know more and have more wisdom than humans? That would be foolish.

God is the All-Knowing Physician who has the cures for all the ills of humanity in every age.

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I guess because we believe that God is more intelligent.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
You believe.. So my question is, what will happen to you, if you disagree with Judaism's view of God?

Pudding

Religion sometimes can gives people comfort, there're friends and familly in religion's community which sometimes might shun a believer if he didn't live what they think to be a good, normal and acceptable God's approval lifestyle, thus he have to agree with God otherwise he will lose his life meaning. Religion indoctrinate might also be a reason.

The idea that "If someone believe because a god or goddess exists therefor we should agree with their rules and attitudes" sometimes is so arbitrary. Which rules and attitudes should we agree with?

Person 1: I believe God X's rules 1-50 have been fulfilled so we don't have to follow those rules anymore, though we have to follow the remaining rules.

Person 2: No, i believe only the rules 1,3,7,8,9,22,33,66 and 100 have been fulfilled as my interpretation say so, therefor we should follow the remaing rules otherwise we're going to hell.

Person 3: I'm God X's last messenger, all of you are wrong, everyone should agree with my interpretaion about God X's rules.

Person 4: No, you're not, God X's last messenger is me, God X's rules is this and that...etc.

Person 5: God X doesn't exist, we should follow my interpretation about God Y's rules otherwise God Y will burn us.

Person 6: I'm God Z, everyone should agree with my rules.

Some believers often cherry pick the rules which benefit them then demolish the remaining rules.

Last edited:

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

Isn't the question, what should we believe?

David T

Premium Member

Because we worship books data information ideas especially others ideas? Which at some level is the definition off a consumer being entertained being informed. Ha!!! The last part cracked me.up.

Etritonakin

I know of no scripture in Judaism that supports the idea of God being all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good. Those seem to be Christian inventions.

Much of the Torah supports that God is anything but all-good.

It depends what you think good means.

If it means nothing but warm fuzzies, then no -the God of the old and new testaments is not only that.

God states that he declared the end from the beginning -and that he will do all his pleasure.
He also states that he "purpose"s evil/that we experience adversity -but for our eventual good and perfection.
In order to completely eradicate evil from the future, we experience it now. When we no longer do evil, all harm from it will be repaired.

I will try to look up scriptures later, but God -though technically all-powerful -created others to give them power. God -though technically all-knowing -then created slight unpredictability by giving others decision and creativity.

God did not set out to create perfectly happy and content humans, but to create incorruptible gods -the children of God ("ye are gods") -who can then be trusted to govern the universe (the "heavens" which were formed "not in vain" but "to be inhabited").
Our present unpleasant experience is part of the process of creating us -and extreme pressures and forces are employed.

120 or so years of unpleasantness making possible an eternity without unpleasantness -that is good.

PureX

Veteran Member

My friend Mike used to write art criticism for various art magazines. He carried cards around with him that said, "YOU WILL PAY TO BE TOLD WHAT YOU THINK".

A lot of people want to be told what to think, and how to behave, what's good, what's not; because they are too lazy, or too frightened to work it out for themselves. I am pleased that you are NOT one of them. :)

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

It's only logical, the creator of anything, probably knows best how to get the most out of it, wouldn't you think?