• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Agree with God?

Naama

Chibi Lilith
I believe God as described by Judaism exist, but I am baffled by why so many people believe that becuase a god or goddess exists that we should agree with their rules and attitudes.

Why is this so prevelant?

Thanks for your time and please play nice. :)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In the Abrahamic faiths most people believe that God is not only existing but is the truest most representative form of love, justice and peace. So they believe that following the directives of that that God means following your own best interest.
So to me it sounds like the biggest contention is whether or not the deity presented in the abrahamic scriptures is the that's penultimate "goodness" everyone should aspire to.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
In the Abrahamic faiths most people believe that God is not only existing but is the truest most representative form of love, justice and peace. So they believe that following the directives of that that God means following your own best interest.
So to me it sounds like the biggest contention is whether or not the deity presented in the abrahamic scriptures is the that's penultimate "goodness" everyone should aspire to.

But why would they think that God's opinion of good and evil is any more objective than any other beings'?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Jews see it as having a contract with God. I suppose Christians see it somewhat this way too.

They uphold their end of the contract then so does God.

So you don't have to agree with the contract. Don't have to follow the rules. Only if you want God to live up to his end of the bargain. Otherwise I you are on your own.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But why would they think that God's opinion of good and evil is any more objective than any other beings'?
Good question. I personally do not. Even if I believed in a God or gods I would view their perspective as subjective as my own.

From their view, the answer is that being has access to ultimate knowing ultimate wisdom and ultimate love, so is in a better position to judge the best course of action. And while that might be true, it is not what I have seen in the abrahamic scriptures. At which points they would call on faith, and I would call on consequentialism.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
Good question. I personally do not. Even if I believed in a God or gods I would view their perspective as subjective as my own.

From their view, the answer is that being has access to ultimate knowing ultimate wisdom and ultimate love, so is in a better position to judge the best course of action. And while that might be true, it is not what I have seen in the abrahamic scriptures. At which points they would call on faith, and I would call on consequentialism.

Yeah, the God of the scriptures is not an all-loving one.

Jews see it as having a contract with God. I suppose Christians see it somewhat this way too.

They uphold their end of the contract then so does God.

So you don't have to agree with the contract. Don't have to follow the rules. Only if you want God to live up to his end of the bargain. Otherwise I you are on your own.

I understand that, I chose to follow my own morality in return for a unknown future. I don't really care for God personally.

But Christians seem to believe in enternal suffering for non-Christians.

Because he's made up of all kinds of omni- stuff and we're not.

Where is that in scripture?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Where is that in scripture?
As Christians have derived them.

Revelation 19:6
And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, and the voice of many waters, and the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, “Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth.

1 John 3:20
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.(omniscient)

Jeremiah 23:24
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord. (omnipresent)

Psalm 145:17
The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works. (Omnibenevolent)

74x12

I believe God as described by Judaism exist, but I am baffled by why so many people believe that becuase a god or goddess exists that we should agree with their rules and attitudes.

Can a truly omniscient being really be wrong? So logically how can you think you know more than God?

Naama

Chibi Lilith
As Christians have derived them.

Revelation 19:6
And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, and the voice of many waters, and the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, “Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth.

1 John 3:20
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.(omniscient)

Jeremiah 23:24
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord. (omnipresent)

Psalm 145:17
The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works. (Omnibenevolent)

Oh I don't believe in that religion XD

I believe in the one God of the Jewish people, not the Trinity of Christianity.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
Can a truly omniscient being really be wrong? So logically how can you think you know more than God?

I don't believe in all of that omni stuff its not in Jewish scripture that I know of....

Also I don't think that knowledge makes you have better morals.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Oh I don't believe in that religion XD

I believe in the one God of the Jewish people, not the Trinity of Christianity.
Though these characteristics appear in NT books, as far as I can discern they're not necessarily tied to the trinity.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
Though these characteristics appear in NT books, as far as I can discern they're not necessarily tied to the trinity.

Yeah but I don't believe the NT to be true or accurate. Its supposed creator is not a prophet by Jewish standards.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

People find it hard to grasp that it's possible to believe in god while rejecting religious claims regarding god.

Axe Elf

Prophet

Well, if you believe in a God that created the universe, then Who better to consult on how best to utilize that universe? It's sort of like consulting the manufacturer. I suppose if someone thinks they can create a better universe, they are welcome to try, but in the absence of that, best to consult the One Who has already shown that He knows how to make one work.

Naama

Chibi Lilith
Well, if you believe in a God that created the universe, then Who better to consult on how best to utilize that universe? It's sort of like consulting the manufacturer. I suppose if someone thinks they can create a better universe, they are welcome to try, but in the absence of that, best to consult the One Who has already shown that He knows how to make one work.

Why does that make his opinion moral though?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me there's no difference between the what God truly wants from us and what our deepest and most true self also wants us to do because God is in all of our hearts by virtue of us existing.

But not many can look within and past our habitual thoughts and desires into our innermost depths. And many are caught by our reading of various scriptures which have been written by people who were imperfect.

But as basic ethics go, there are useful guideposts to pay attention to. And these basic ethics help in deciding what inside us might be our deepest understanding and what might be promptings from our human thoughts, feelings and desires.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe God as described by Judaism exist, but I am baffled by why so many people believe that because a god or goddess exists that we should agree with their rules and attitudes.

Prevalent I suppose because of the lesson taught about Adam and Eve.
Adam and Eve along with Satan did Not agree with God's rule and attitude.
Satan promoting the idea that disagreeing God by 'Sinning with Satan' was the best way of living.
Disobedience to the "Do not eat from one particular tree" Law brought about sickness and death to the human race.
If Satan, Adam and Eve agreed with their Creator, then we would Not have the problems on Earth as we do today.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yeah but I don't believe the NT to be true or accurate. Its supposed creator is not a prophet by Jewish standards.

If not by Jewish standards, then by who is the NT Christian standards in the verse at Revelation 4:11

True, we have Not yet seen the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' benefiting Earth as mentioned at Revelation 22:2, but does that mean it is impossible or improvable. Who can say what is prophesied will Not be true or accurate.