• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a male supreme God?

QuestioningMind

To those who worship a male supreme deity - why? What leads you to conclude that the Supreme Being is male or otherwise masculine? How do you arrive at the idea that the Creator is male? I don't see this in nature. It is the female who brings forth life in nature. The male's contribution is somewhat of an afterthought. Even fetuses start out female and only develop into males when the Y chromosome is introduced. The Bible, for instance, has this backward and has the woman being born from the male, as an afterthought when Adam couldn't find a suitable companion among the animals. How does this make any sense?

Is it only because your holy book presents your deity in masculine terms? Or did you come to this conclusion by yourself? Male supreme deities seem to be rather late in humanity's religious history, after all.

Actually, anyone who worships a supreme being with gender, be it male or female, is indicating that there is more than one supreme being, since a male or a female is only 1/2 of the biological equation. IF you have a male god then you are automatically suggesting that there must be a female goddess.

I've always wondered why religious folk weren't bothered by their singular god (who would never sexually reproduce) would have a gender. Moreover, since he wouldn't be material, he wouldn't need legs, arms, feet, etc.
Yahweh was male before he was a henotheism let alone a monotheism. The bible records him having arms, legs, feet. eyes and a backside. Also; a wife and a father. The faith evolved like everything else. Think of these features as you would the appendix or backache. It did bother religious folk; this is one of the reasons their texts are now such a contorted mess of contradictions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yahweh was male before he was a henotheism let alone a monotheism. The bible records him having arms, legs, feet. eyes and a backside. Also; a wife and a father. The faith evolved like everything else. Think of these features as you would the appendix or backache. It did bother religious folk; this is one of the reasons their texts are now such a contorted mess of contradictions.
It sure sounds complicated.
Oh, the advantages of being a simple atheist!

I have a couple of answers for you. I think you wanted some from abrahamic and theist beliefs too. Here's my story (though I'm not either).

I believe it is purely cultural and political. If I am correct, some cultures (Islam for example), the male is in higher position than the female. Hence it is probably why women were burka. In Catholicism (Roman and Orthodox) the former, is political. I assume when Constantine took over and made Christianity the government's main faith and since he was in power, he made "God" a He.

I like what Kirran said:

Also, in Christianity, it is the general consensus that Jesus is God. At least, most I know believe that. Jesus is male so God must be male too.

Also, in Jewish:

Read more at Judaism 101: The Nature of G-d

In the Islamic faith, God (Allah or the Creator) is male. It seems cultural, I don't see how gender has anything to do with spirituality.

I've always had that question myself. I agree one hundred percent with you regarding female. If a deity exists, I would definitely be female.

That rabbi should read his damned book. And you should read the New Testament; JC refers to his father quite a lot you know.
How did Israel get it's name? Jacob wrestled with Yahweh and won. Once you start allegorising the text and making it mean whatever you want it to mean; you've basically rendered your religion as rubbish.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What are you referring to? I don't see any correlation between these rude statements and my post.

That rabbi should read his damned book. And you should read the New Testament; JC refers to his father quite a lot you know.
How did Israel get it's name? Jacob wrestled with Yahweh and won. Once you start allegorising the text and making it mean whatever you want it to mean; you've basically rendered your religion as rubbish.

Although we call him "He", most of we Christians believe God has no gender.
Apostles Creed
1. I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
2. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord

Athanasian Creed
For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost.

Nicene Creed
We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

Sorry chum, you don't get to re-define the Christian god; only an Ecumenical Council gets to do that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually, that makes sense. Since God made male and female. If He were male, there would have to be a female so His creation can mirror "their" images.

Actually, anyone who worships a supreme being with gender, be it male or female, is indicating that there is more than one supreme being, since a male or a female is only 1/2 of the biological equation. IF you have a male god then you are automatically suggesting that there must be a female goddess.

What are you referring to? I don't see any correlation between these rude statements and my post.
Read your own post. Genesis clearly says Yahweh has a body. Elsewhere Yahweh is refered to as the son of El. The Christian God being male and a father goes back to Jesus; not Constantine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Read your own post. Genesis clearly says Yahweh has a body. Elsewhere Yahweh is refered to as the son of El. The Christian God being male and a father goes back to Jesus; not Constantine.
Let's save time from my guessing what I said that made you make that rude comment.

Instead, quote what I said and tell me how it correlates to what you said.

ceseme

To those who worship a male supreme deity - why? What leads you to conclude that the Supreme Being is male or otherwise masculine? How do you arrive at the idea that the Creator is male? I don't see this in nature. It is the female who brings forth life in nature. The male's contribution is somewhat of an afterthought. Even fetuses start out female and only develop into males when the Y chromosome is introduced. The Bible, for instance, has this backward and has the woman being born from the male, as an afterthought when Adam couldn't find a suitable companion among the animals. How does this make any sense?

If you look in the mirror, you will see your image. Since you are male, you will see the image of a male. One male. If your sister/mother/wife or whoever enters the room, you will see her image in the mirror as well. You will see the image of a male and a female. You cannot see the image of a female unless a female enters the room and stands beside you.

Now after imagining that exercise, read the account in Genesis regarding the creation of Adam. 26 ¶And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: ...27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Now look at the genealogy of the patriarchs down to Adam in Luke 3:38 "....which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God."

It's just that most people hate the idea of their parents having sex, let alone their God. Also, they associate sexual relations with sin and they assume that God cannot have sex because he is sinless; however, sexual relations within the context that God commanded is not sin, so that is a false assumption.

Another false assumption is that the word "create" implies that something is suddenly called forth from nothing by a statement. Nothing could be further from the truth. All matter has infinite existence. It is not all organized, however, and the act of creation involves organizing matter into a usable form. When God created Adam from the dust of the earth, he simply partook of the fruit of the trees which were in the Garden of Eden. Now the trees formed that fruit by taking up nutrients from the soil, and when those nutrients were ingested, they were utilized to form Adam in the same manner as we create and nourish our children, and thus we are formed from the dust of the earth.

There are those who may not be able to resolve this concept, based on the fact that the scriptures relate that Jesus is the only begotten son of God. This, however is another assumption based on a superficial reading of the verses in question.

Adam inherited genes from our immortal Heavenly parents which made him immortal as well. He did not become mortal until he partook of the forbidden fruit, which when ingested acted upon his cellular makeup and began the process of degeneration by cellular division, which shortens the telomeres in a gradual fashion until the body can no longer be sustained and subsequently dies.

But Jesus was begotten by God of a mortal woman so that Christ, having genes for both mortality and immortality, could choose to either live or die, an essential component for the act of atonement. Thus Christ was the only begotten son of God of mortal flesh. Therefore, the scripture is not violated in saying that Adam also was the son of God, which fact by the way, is stated repeatedly in the scriptures.

Last edited:
If you look in the mirror, you will see your image. Since you are male, you will see the image of a male. One male. If your sister/mother/wife or whoever enters the room, you will see her image in the mirror as well. You will see the image of a male and a female. You cannot see the image of a female unless a female enters the room and stands beside you.

Now after imagining that exercise, read the account in Genesis regarding the creation of Adam. 26 ¶And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: ...27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Now look at the genealogy of the patriarchs down to Adam in Luke 3:38 "....which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God."

It's just that most people hate the idea of their parents having sex, let alone their God. Also, they associate sexual relations with sin and they assume that God cannot have sex because he is sinless; however, sexual relations within the context that God commanded is not sin, so that is a false assumption.

Another false assumption is that the word "create" implies that something is suddenly called forth from nothing by a statement. Nothing could be further from the truth. All matter has infinite existence. It is not all organized, however, and the act of creation involves organizing matter into a usable form. When God created Adam from the dust of the earth, he simply partook of the fruit of the trees which were in the Garden of Eden. Now the trees formed that fruit from the nutrients in the soil, and when those nutrients were ingested, they were utilized to form Adam in the same manner as we create our children, and thus we are formed from the dust of the earth.

This is where we will meet with another form of opposition that is based on another assumption. Since the scriptures read that Jesus was the only begotten son of God, there are those who think this cannot be true, so I will clarify this concept as well.

Adam inherited genes from our immortal Heavenly parents which made him immortal as well. He did not become mortal until he partook of the forbidden fruit, which began the process of degeneration by cellular division which shortens the telemeres in a gradual fashion until the body can no longer be sustained and eventually dies. But Jesus was begotten by God of a mortal woman so that Christ could choose to die or not, having genes for both mortality and immortality. Thus Christ was the only begotten son of God of mortal flesh. Therefore, the scripture is not violated by saying that Adam also was the son of God, which by the way is also stated numerous times in the scriptures.

WTF?

Let's save time from my guessing what I said that made you make that rude comment.

Instead, quote what I said and tell me how it correlates to what you said.

I have a couple of answers for you. I think you wanted some from abrahamic and theist beliefs too. Here's my story (though I'm not either).

I believe it is purely cultural and political. If I am correct, some cultures (Islam for example), the male is in higher position than the female. Hence it is probably why women were burka. In Catholicism (Roman and Orthodox) the former, is political. I assume when Constantine took over and made Christianity the government's main faith and since he was in power, he made "God" a He.

I like what Kirran said:

Also, in Christianity, it is the general consensus that Jesus is God. At least, most I know believe that. Jesus is male so God must be male too.

Also, in Jewish:
G-d is Neither Male nor Female
This follows directly from the fact that G-d has no physical form. As one rabbi explained it to me, G-d has no body, no genitalia, therefore the very idea that G-d is male or female is patently absurd. We refer to G-d using masculine terms simply for convenience's sake, because Hebrew has no neutral gender; G-d is no more male than a table is.

Although we usually speak of G-d in masculine terms, there are times when we refer to G-d using feminine terms. The Shechinah, the manifestation of G-d's presence that fills the universe, is conceived of in feminine terms, and the word Shechinah is a feminine word.

Read more at Judaism 101: The Nature of G-d

In the Islamic faith, God (Allah or the Creator) is male. It seems cultural, I don't see how gender has anything to do with spirituality.

I've always had that question myself. I agree one hundred percent with you regarding female. If a deity exists, I would definitely be female.

Do you follow now?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Think about it, if we always had a supreme female God, we would be asking the question the other way around lol.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Apostles Creed
1. I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
2. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord

Athanasian Creed
For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost.

Nicene Creed
We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

Sorry chum, you don't get to re-define the Christian god; only an Ecumenical Council gets to do that.
I will repeat, Even though we call Him he, most of we Christians don't believe that God has a gender.