• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a male supreme God?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It depends. Most christians would say Jesus is God AND human being so... did that stop being the majority?
But we believe that although Jesus was God, He only had gender as a human being and not in His "Glorified Form", as we put it. But I haven't really discussed it with many people.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But we believe that although Jesus was God, He only had gender as a human being and not in His "Glorified Form", as we put it. But I haven't really discussed it with many people.
It's not a popular subject, my discussions would probably end up with my own Church mates calling me a heretic (ha ha, just kidding).

Thanda

Cool! I have a South African friend from Pretoria who I actually met first online and later in person when he came to Salt Lake City. He was a bishop at that time. We still keep in touch.

I probably know him Cause I'm from Pretoria.

Thanda

Thanda, can you ever imagine worshipping a "substance" that fills the universe? The Bible tells us that the pure in heart will see God. I love knowing that I won't be gazing into nothingness and asking, "God? Are you there?" Instead, I'll see His face. I'll look into His eyes, and I'll feel His arms around me.

But it is even worse than that Katzpur. This god of Shipopa apparently isn't even a substance - he is a set of thoughts, knowledge, emotions feelings, opinions. He apparently has no substance never mind a form or a likeness that is spoken of in the scriptures.

But now think about this. If God is not a person but a set of thoughts, then, since we all have thoughts, how do we know that we aren't all each of God or fractions of God. And if we are God or parts of him then who is to say that anything we do is wrong. Because if I have thought, then for all I know that thought is God. Very confusing.

Thanda

I hope everyone, including my fellow Christians, will forgive an ignorant question: How can God be a man if He is God and not a human being? (Jesus was a man, in our faith, I already know.)

When we say God is a Man people think that we are saying that God looks like human beings. We are not saying that. What we are saying is what the scriptures say, that is humans look like God because God created humans in his own image.

But having created us in his image it stands to reason that there must be both a male and a female God. For if there was only a male God them God creating us in his image would mean that only men are created in God's image and woman are some sort of compromise or worse, abomination. And it is pointless to say that God had to create woman so we could procreate. God is far to intelligent to have not been able to figure out a way to make men procreate on their own (note that he made Mary procreate all on her own). And to say God needed to create a woman because Adam needed a friend is also troublesome since a male friend would have been just as good and they would probably have gotten along even better.

Me Myself

Back to my username
When we say God is a Man people think that we are saying that God looks like human beings. We are not saying that. What we are saying is what the scriptures say, that is humans look like God because God created humans in his own image.

But having created us in his image it stands to reason that there must be both a male and a female God. For if there was only a male God them God creating us in his image would mean that only men are created in God's image and woman are some sort of compromise or worse, abomination. And it is pointless to say that God had to create woman so we could procreate. God is far to intelligent to have not been able to figure out a way to make men procreate on their own (note that he made Mary procreate all on her own). And to say God needed to create a woman because Adam needed a friend is also troublesome since a male friend would have been just as good and they would probably have gotten along even better.
Maybe the only reason he made Eve is because Adam was straight, and God couldnt change that :D

Tumah

Veteran Member
To those who worship a male supreme deity - why? What leads you to conclude that the Supreme Being is male or otherwise masculine? How do you arrive at the idea that the Creator is male? I don't see this in nature. It is the female who brings forth life in nature. The male's contribution is somewhat of an afterthought. Even fetuses start out female and only develop into males when the Y chromosome is introduced. The Bible, for instance, has this backward and has the woman being born from the male, as an afterthought when Adam couldn't find a suitable companion among the animals. How does this make any sense?

Is it only because your holy book presents your deity in masculine terms? Or did you come to this conclusion by yourself? Male supreme deities seem to be rather late in humanity's religious history, after all.

I can't speak for others, but in Judaism, the difference between male and female is the difference between the archetypal giver and receiver. It is the male that gives the seed to the woman who receives it an forms it into a child. G-d is referred to as masculine simply because He is the supernal giver. We receive His bounty and use it as we do. There are instances in Judaism where G-d is referred to in the feminine. Such as when His Presence rests on the Temple and He "receives" the satisfaction we give him in our Temple service.

Nothing to do with being male. Gender doesn't apply to Him.

I can only go by the texts, the tradition. and history. This was all decided millenia ago. After a lot of Almighty (see what I did there:D) rowing. In the case of Chistianity it cannot be reformulated without an Ecumenical Council of the whole Church; which is now impossible because of the Great Schism and the Reformation. If it were possible the result would only be more Almighty rowing; only this time with machine guns rather than knives and clubs! The Creed is the minimum entry requirement and that says Jesus is both man and god and God is a father and therefore male. It didn't occur to the NT and Patristic writers or the Early Church Fathers that the original premise might be flat out wrong so they built these ideas on top of one another. Each new idea created more problems which had to be corrected with new ideas; all attributed to the Holy Ghost. The leaders wanted uniformity; they couldn't get it until the Emperors hijacked the Church and they were able to hijack the Emperor. Result; no more inspired writings, prophecy or Holy Ghost speaking to people. You might hold a different idea, tens of thousands might hold a different idea. If you don't make a fuss about it, they'll let you get on. But make a fuss, especially if your in orders, and you'll know about it. There are no women priests in the Catholic Church. Press your bishop hard enough about it and he will have to tell you it is because God is a bloke.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hm. If kali and some of Gods are made as sex symbols, what about Christ? If youbsee His pictures it is displayed in different ways to where the author was going for the look. Yetx I bet Jesus never looked like that, smooth chest, long wavy hair, calm face, no facial hair etc.

I dont sexualislze Him but according to some pictures it could be easily done. I dont believe any pictures of the above Gods are any different.