• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a male supreme God?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
To those who worship a male supreme deity - why? What leads you to conclude that the Supreme Being is male or otherwise masculine? How do you arrive at the idea that the Creator is male? I don't see this in nature. It is the female who brings forth life in nature. The male's contribution is somewhat of an afterthought. Even fetuses start out female and only develop into males when the Y chromosome is introduced. The Bible, for instance, has this backward and has the woman being born from the male, as an afterthought when Adam couldn't find a suitable companion among the animals. How does this make any sense?

Is it only because your holy book presents your deity in masculine terms? Or did you come to this conclusion by yourself? Male supreme deities seem to be rather late in humanity's religious history, after all.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
There's been female based deities and religions in the past. The Bible even mentions some. The Ashera for instance.

The reason why it became a male god is probably because of a patriarchal society overtaking and destroying the female god religions.

Or maybe it's simply because god in the Bible is a d**k. :D

Kirran

Premium Member
In Neolithic societies in particular, it's easiest to represent God as similar to the ruling class, because those are the people with the most power you're aware of. These were generally men.

God is nothing and everything. Male, female, what a small dichotomy.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
To those who worship a male supreme deity - why? What leads you to conclude that the Supreme Being is male or otherwise masculine? How do you arrive at the idea that the Creator is male? I don't see this in nature. It is the female who brings forth life in nature. The male's contribution is somewhat of an afterthought. Even fetuses start out female and only develop into males when the Y chromosome is introduced. The Bible, for instance, has this backward and has the woman being born from the male, as an afterthought when Adam couldn't find a suitable companion among the animals. How does this make any sense?

Is it only because your holy book presents your deity in masculine terms? Or did you come to this conclusion by yourself? Male supreme deities seem to be rather late in humanity's religious history, after all.

It is because god is a fabrication of the people who lived in a time when women were 2nd class citizens. Of course god would be a man, to make it a woman would be unthinkable to those cultures. This is why, if we look at Christianity, there's only one woman of significance (Mary).

And look at the way she was treated! Impregnated by a male deity without prior consultation or consent, treated little more than a breeder. If men could give birth, you can bet your last dollar, penny, etc. that it would have been the Virgin Maurice and not the Virgin Mary.

Kirran

Premium Member
It is because god is a fabrication of the people who lived in a time when women were 2nd class citizens. Of course god would be a man, to make it a woman would be unthinkable to those cultures. This is why, if we look at Christianity, there's only one woman of significance (Mary).

And look at the way she was treated! Impregnated by a male deity without prior consultation or consent, treated little more than a breeder. If men could give birth, you can bet your last dollar, penny, etc. that it would have been the Virgin Maurice and not the Virgin Mary.

Why such a huge emphasis, bordering on worship, of the Virgin Mary in Roman Catholicism, do you think?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Why not. ..lol
Actually, there is nothing odd about a male deity, if it bothers you, there are plenty of female goddesses to worship.
ps the Bible doesn't have the creation of Eve ''backward'', it's the way Eve was created, the first female.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've always wondered why religious folk weren't bothered by their singular god (who would never sexually reproduce) would have a gender. Moreover, since he wouldn't be material, he wouldn't need legs, arms, feet, etc.

Kirran

Premium Member
I've always wondered why religious folk weren't bothered by their singular god (who would never sexually reproduce) would have a gender. Moreover, since he wouldn't be material, he wouldn't need legs, arms, feet, etc.

It's fascinating how people think about these things - when a God is personal, it's hard to not think of them as being gendered in some way, because we're just so used to it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

If one looks at it from a purely physical perspective, when ancient humans wanted to give their highest deity traits, they picked the one they felt they would have to listen to. Namely, the one who could beat them up. So they picked the guy, because back then men tended to be the ones who did the largest amount of physical labour and tended to be the strongest.

SkylarHunter

I think it's mostly a cultural thing. Believing that God is a spiritual being, he wouldn't have a physical body and therefore couldn't be considered male or female. I guess someone decided God should be addressed as He a long time ago and everyone got used to that.

It's the social/cultural constructs, God has no gender. Heck I would say most advanced alien races probably don't have gender

I agree. So using deductive logic/ reasoning, would that make any religion that has a deity personified as a male inherently falsified?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have a couple of answers for you. I think you wanted some from abrahamic and theist beliefs too. Here's my story (though I'm not either).

I believe it is purely cultural and political. If I am correct, some cultures (Islam for example), the male is in higher position than the female. Hence it is probably why women were burka. In Catholicism (Roman and Orthodox) the former, is political. I assume when Constantine took over and made Christianity the government's main faith and since he was in power, he made "God" a He.

I like what Kirran said:
In Neolithic societies in particular, it's easiest to represent God as similar to the ruling class, because those are the people with the most power you're aware of. These were generally men.

God is nothing and everything. Male, female, what a small dichotomy.

Also, in Christianity, it is the general consensus that Jesus is God. At least, most I know believe that. Jesus is male so God must be male too.

Also, in Jewish:

G-d is Neither Male nor Female
This follows directly from the fact that G-d has no physical form. As one rabbi explained it to me, G-d has no body, no genitalia, therefore the very idea that G-d is male or female is patently absurd. We refer to G-d using masculine terms simply for convenience's sake, because Hebrew has no neutral gender; G-d is no more male than a table is.

Although we usually speak of G-d in masculine terms, there are times when we refer to G-d using feminine terms. The Shechinah, the manifestation of G-d's presence that fills the universe, is conceived of in feminine terms, and the word Shechinah is a feminine word.
Read more at Judaism 101: The Nature of G-d

In the Islamic faith, God (Allah or the Creator) is male. It seems cultural, I don't see how gender has anything to do with spirituality.
Allah says: “He created the pairs, male and female.” [Sûrah al-Najm: 45]

Allah is the Creator of both sexes. We do not attribute being male or being female to Allah. We only describe Allah as He describes himself or as His Prophet (peace be upon him) describes Him.

The primary reason that the pronoun “He” is used to refer to Allah is that He chooses to use the pronoun for Himself.

It is also in conformity with the dictates of the Arabic language in which the Qur’ân was revealed. Indeed, Allah says: “Verily this is a revelation from the Lord of the Worlds. With it came down the Faithful Spirit to your heart – so that you may be among those who give warning – in a clear Arabic tongue.” [Sûrah al-Shu`arâ’: 192-195]

In the Arabic language, there in no pronoun with a neutral gender equivalent to the English “it”. (Even in English, this neutral gendered pronoun is not to be used for beings possessing the attributes of knowledge, power and will. In English, it would be a sign of disrespect to use the pronoun “it” in such a context.)

In Arabic, when the gender of the subject is unknown or unspecified or when the subject is plural and contains both male and female individuals, the masculine pronoun will be used. In Arabic, the masculine pronoun is the default pronoun. It does not have to imply masculinity. It can be used by a speaker without masculinity being intended

By contrast, female pronouns like “she” in Arabic are used exclusively when the subject is female. Feminine pronouns cannot be used in any other context. Therefore, it is obvious why the pronoun “she” would not be used to refer to Allah, since that would indeed be specifying a gender.

And Allah knows best.

We hope that this answer clarifies the matter for you.

I've always had that question myself. I agree one hundred percent with you regarding female. If a deity exists, I would definitely be female.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
IMO, Nature has both masculine and feminine attributes. I prefer to think of God as a he because that's just generally how it is thought of by most people. I choose not to further complicate the issue by saying 'she' and to say 'it' might be misleading as if it were not a being

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't believe in a gendered God. The 'gender' of God is only for us to attempt to understand God.

Some languages don't have a gender neutral pronoun. Even English is somewhat limited in this regard. So "male" is usually the default pronoun, for historical and cultural reasons.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why not. ..lol
Actually, there is nothing odd about a male deity, if it bothers you, there are plenty of female goddesses to worship.
ps the Bible doesn't have the creation of Eve ''backward'', it's the way Eve was created, the first female.
It's backward because it goes against what we plainly observe in nature - that all life comes from the female, including the male.