• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Adam's First Wife?

Runt

LCMS Sprecher--

You don't find it interesting that there is a female demon mentioned in the Bible which Jewish mythology (which existed long before Christianity, might I add) describes as Adam's evil first wife?

And your only reason for rejecting the idea of Lilith is this: She only appears in the Bible once!

Do not Christians often look at one or two single passages in the Bible and live their whole life according to it?

--Paul mentioned the communion ordinance only twice in his 13 epistles

--Trinitarian baptism is only mentioned once

--There is no purgatory in the Bible

---Armageddon is mentioned by name only once in the Bible. "And they gathered them together into the place which is called in Hebrew Har-magedon." (Rev 16:16)

Furthermore, there are numerous things that we know to exist in the modern world (and which we know existed in Biblical times as well) that are mentioned in the Bible only once, or not mentioned at all. Are you going to try to say that it is a big jump to believe the stories about their existence when there is no scriptural evidence for them?

Do people pick flowers?--Flower picking is only referred to in the Bible once. "My beloved has gone to his garden, to the beds of spices, to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies" (Song of Songs 6:2). Does this mean that flower picking does not exist?

Are there only two kinds of flowers?--Only three flowers are mentioned by name in the Bible: the shoshanna (lily or rose), the shoshanat ha'emakim (rose of the valleys) and the havatzelet ha'sharon (rose or lily of the Sharon). Does this mean that beyond the lily and the rose no other flowers exist?

Is Garlic real?--Garlic is mentioned only once in the Bible. "We remember the fish we ate in Egypt for nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic." (Numbers 11:5)

Does the brain exist? The brain is not mentioned once. http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/heart.html

Do we think with the mind? Not once does the Bible attribute having thoughts, thinking, understanding, considering, meditating, or pondering as coming from the mind. http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/heart.html

Do kangaroos exist? Kangaroos are never mentioned in the Bible.

Do the Americas exist? The Americas are never mentioned in the Bible.

Some questions about "Lillith":

If she was created just like Adam....how does she fly?

She has wings and Adam doesn't?

The offspring resulting from her and Adam are what exactly.....spirits or creatures of flesh?

And if Lilith and Adam are the same creation, then why would their children not be of the same species?

And these "demons" she is giving birth to....are they physical children or demonic spirits?

And how does Lilith and Satan exactly consumate their relationship?

Does Satan have a you-know-what?

Why doesn't Satan make a common practice of using his you-know-what on other unsuspecting female earthlings?

Or is Satan just a loyal type of guy/demon-devil/spirit/man-beast.......?

Help me, it's all sooooooooo confusing!

..........and it reeks of mythology, uninspired at that.

Pardon me, but did not the americas come into existence WELL after the bible was written? and I thought all the bible writers lived around israel and whatnot and not in australia

Runt

teapot_tall_and_yummy said:
Pardon me, but did not the americas come into existence WELL after the bible was written? and I thought all the bible writers lived around israel and whatnot and not in australia

You've got to be kidding me. The Bible only covers about 6000 years of history and the Americas as we know them seperated from Pangaea 200 million years ago and reached their present positions about 50 million years ago. Are you trying to state that the Bible is really over 50 million years old or that it is more than 200 million years old?

Also, just a little tidbit here, the Bible is not suppose to be used as a historical book. It's purposes are spiritual. It is not a textbook. It was written in Canaan/Israel/etc, in that general areaThe events in it take place there. it makes sense, ya know? It has no reason to write about the americas and science because it is a spiritual guide, not a book used for factual purposes only.

Runt

Then why do some Christians use the Bible to claim that long range historical events (evolution of life, big bang, etc) never occured? I understand that not all Christians use the Bible in this way (many of the ones I know actually accept science in its entirety), but it seems that it should be pretty obvious that the Bible does not contain the truth of everything in reality (past, present, and future)...

Runt -

Some Christians look at it that way because they are fundamentalists, and they take everything literally and are unable to step outside whats concrete and put a little faith in God and think on their own.

Linus

Runt,
I believe LCMS Sprecher's point was that how can we believe that Lillith was Adam's wife when there is no scripture that indicates as such? I dont think the question is so much on the belief that she existed, but rather on the belief that she was the first wife of Adam. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed. Essentially, what I am saying is that the Bible is our primary reference to Adam. Adam according to the Bible had one wife, Eve. It does not mention any Lilith as his first wife and Eve as a second. Perhaps this Lilith existed in Jewish mythology, though I know of none and would be interested to find out where this reference to jewish mythology is.

Linus

Yes. All the above mentioned scriptures only refer to Lillith as a demon/ night owl- mother of hundreds of demons. None of those scriptures actually make refference to her as Adam's former wife.

Kinda reminds me of the Grendel and from Beowulf.

Ceridwen018

Indeed. But don't you find it interesting that Lillith is mentioned in Hebrew mythology as all of those things AND Adam's first wife? It is very consistent. Also, we must take into account that the bible doesn't specify whether Eve came first or second. Neither does it specify how many wives he had. You can't assume that you know what to fill in when the bible makes an omission.

Linus

Hebrew mythology does not have the same authority as the Bible. Therefore I cannot consider it the authentic word of God.

Runt

You don't think the Bible is Hebrew (and Christian) mythology? Because I do... but then, that's me, I guess. However, it only has authority because you and a bunch of priests say it does. This doesn't mean anything. I could say that Dr. Seuss is the only authority on reality; that doesn't make it true, no matter how many people choose to believe me.

Master Vigil

I'd say the bible is both mythology and legend. Because it has hisotrical truths in it, I just find it grossly over-exagerrated, therefore it is legend in my opinion.

Linus

Look, I just said I don't think it's the word of God. I cannot accept Hebrew mythology as authority because it contradictis that which the Bible tells us.

But I guess Its my fault for not being more clear. I probably should have stated that I don't BELIEVE Hebrew mythology has the same authority as the Bible in my life.

Besides, I don't think priests have any religious authority over me because its's not an official "office" that can be held by any person here o earth.

But that's just what I think

Linus

Yes. But only if you consider the Bible to be mythology. Mythology is man made right? I believe that the Bible (although physically recorded by men) was inspired by God. The ideas and teachings were and are His.

Ceridwen018

But you have no proof that the bible was inspired by god any more than you have the other Hebrew mythologies weren't.

To say that you can't accept other Hebrew mythologies because they contradict the bible doesn't make any sense, because the bible is extremely contradictory in itself.

Linus

No i dont have proof that is why i have faith. I can't proove anything about my religion, But I believe in it in light of evidence.

And I dont believe that the Bible has contradictions, only instances where it would seem like one. Investigation is the key to deciphering them.