• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the winner of life?

InvestigateTruth

I don't mean to make this a sad thread.
I present two case briefly:

Consider two people. One all life has lived a luxury and comfortable life. Enjoyed food, had many boyfriend / girlfriend and saw all places on earth he/she wanted, did not have a difficult life and had lots of fun. Another person, lived a difficult life, with little money, no luxury.. was not even good looking.

Now, suppose both are just on the deathbed, living their last days, suffering dying, and waiting for the last breath.

1. Which of them is the winner in life, and is happier on the deathbed?

2. Does the person who lived a comfortable and luxurious life, thinks with himself "I lived my life fully. I did whatever I wanted. I don't want anymore, and I am ready to die". Would he/she gets comfort by such thinking while on the deathbed? Would he/she even thinks of past memories?

3. Does the person who had a difficult life, is suffering more on the deathbed, thinking, I had a bad life, I was poor, did not get what I want...and now I'm dying?

InvestigateTruth

My take:
When we have a simple flu, and fever, with body pain, we don't even care or think of things we have done or not let alone if we are on the deathbed! Such past good times, do not give us any comfort when we are suffering sickness or death.

It might be, a person who is used to difficult life, can tolerate better than a person who had a comfortable life.

epronovost

It might be, a person who is used to difficult life, can tolerate better than a person who had a comfortable life.

Having suffered a lot doesn't make more suffering more comfortable. There are few people who suffer more than deeply depressive people for the nature of clinical depression is that it makes any sense of happiness and contentment impossible, yet they do not endure pain or hardship any better.

On the other side, someone who has lived a good life will have many friends and loved one to help carry the burden of a painful death (having access to excellent healthcare and the opportunity to require assisted suicide might also help in those circumstances).

People are equal in death not in dying.

InvestigateTruth

"We are here to enjoy"

Is the word, Nowadays is heard often from people.

Is it really true? Should we set our goal to enjoy life more and more?

Should there be any limits and boundaries as what to enjoy? If we enjoy Marijuana, alchohol, driving fast, eating too much, having open sex with many....should we set our goal to do these more and more?

HonestJoe

Which of them is the winner in life, and is happier on the deathbed?
Life isn't a competition, it's an art-form. :cool:

And in my experience, the happiness or not of a person on their deathbed is influenced much more by their immediate state and environment than how they lived their lives. No amount of "good" living is going to compensate for a drawn-out painful death.

epronovost

If we enjoy Marijuana, alchohol, driving fast, eating too much, having open sex with many....should we set our goal to do these more and more?

As long as you don't harm anybody than sure go ahead. Enjoy your life. We all seek to enjoy ourselves after all. Not all of us enjoy ourselves driving fast cars, having sex with a lot of different partners, drinking alcohol, smoking marijuana and the like. Some enjoy acetism, other enjoy collecting figurines, arts, walking in a natural park, having a lot of sex with the same partner, etc. The only limit should be to let others the same freedom to enjoy themselves (thus refraining from harming them).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It brought this to mind,

The Doctor’s Most Defining Speech About Kindness

“Winning? Is that what you think it’s about? I’m not trying to win. I’m not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It’s not because it’s fun. God knows it’s not because it’s easy. It’s not even because it works because it hardly ever does.. I DO WHAT I DO BECAUSE IT’S RIGHT! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that.. Just kind. If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live. Maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, you know, maybe there’s no point to any of this at all. But it’s the best I can do. So I’m going to do it. And I will stand here doing it until it kills me. And you’re going to die too! Some day.. And how will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for? Who I am is where I stand.. Where I stand is where I fall. Stand with me. These people are terrified. Maybe we can help a little. Why not, just at the end, just be kind?”

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Consider two people. One all life has lived a luxury and comfortable life. Enjoyed food, had many boyfriend / girlfriend and saw all places on earth he/she wanted, did not have a difficult life and had lots of fun. Another person, lived a difficult life, with little money, no luxury.. was not even good looking.

Now, suppose both are just on the deathbed, living their last days, suffering dying, and waiting for the last breath.

2. Does the person who lived a comfortable and luxurious life, thinks with himself "I lived my life fully. I did whatever I wanted. I don't want anymore, and I am ready to die". Would he/she gets comfort by such thinking while on the deathbed? Would he/she even thinks of past memories?

3. Does the person who had a difficult life, is suffering more on the deathbed, thinking, I had a bad life, I was poor, did not get what I want...and now I'm dying?

Being wealthy is not the key to contentment in life, nor is being poor.

Winning throughout life depends entirely on how the individual views life.

Onoma

I can only quote Keith Richards here

" If you can't be a great example, be a terrible warning "

Cooky

Veteran Member
Now the die is shaken
Now the die must fall
There ain't a winner in this game
Who don't go home with all
Not with all...

PureX

Veteran Member
It seems to me that the more people get, and have, the more they want. Whereas the less people get, and have, the more they need. So the person who is best off is the person who gets what they need, when they need it, but not what they want, just because they want it. This person will have appreciated whatever they've gotten, and made good use of it. They will also have left what they didn't need, to others, hopefully to make good use of, too. They can feel both fulfilled, and justified.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

First of all, I reject the idea of "winning at life" as if it is something that you can package up in a neat generalized box.
It all depends on the person and what that person finds important in life. Some won't be happy until they have tremendous business success. Others won't be happy until they have children in whatever circumstances. Even others won't be happy until they save a tribe of gorilla's from extinction. There are so many different people with so many different interests, goals and ambitions... What you present here is simply a false dichotomy.

Having said that, I say that it is impossible to tell. Either could feel like they had a good and full life and either could feel the opposite. It all depends on what kind of persons they were.

The poor guy might be poor by choice for example. Having no interest in carreer success and instead all about being with family and enjoying the simple things in life.

The only thing I'm relatively sure off, is that both will still have some unchecked items on their bucket list.

While I like the idea that you are in charge of your own destiny, I also think it is kind of delusional in a sense. Or upto a certain extent.
When you are born, dice are thrown and you'll have to live with the outcome. There will be certain things that will simply not have a place in your future while there will be other things that you won't be able to avoid no matter what. The best you can do, is navigate life by steering in the direction you want, but in the end, there will be boundaries that you won't be able to cross.

For example.... I used to play high level tennis when I was young. At 15 years old, I played top 8 in Belgium in my age category. I sparred and trained with people like Kim Clijsters, Xavier Malisse, Christophe Rochus, etc. What became immediately apparant during those trainings and matches, was how those people were like aliens. No matter how good the rest of us were, no matter how hard we trained... these people were simply physically out of our league. I remember feeling a sense of accomplishment when I didn't lose 6-0 / 6-0 to Malisse, and instead managed to grab a game or 2-3. As it turns out, while MANY people can achieve the skill level required for pro tennis - only very few have the body that can actually withstand such stress.

I have known many players, really really good players, that went absolutely nowhere. And really not because they weren't good enough. Rather... age 17 and the elbow gives problems.
Age 16 and suffering from chronic lower backpains.
Age 18 and the right ankle gives up.
Age 17 and the knees are destroyed.

Each of these are real examples. All of them resulted in permanent damage. Slight damage. But "slight" is already too much to be able to keep going at the highest level.

Just to illustrate.... when you are born, life throws some stuff at you and that's the toolset with which you have to manage. Some have a better toolset then others. Some toolsets are just different. Even the environment you find yourself in, is part of that toolset. Some people simply "never had a chance" to outgrow their environment. Others have to work extremely and exceptionally hard to achieve even only half of what some other guy inherited while sitting on his bum.

That's just how it is. Life isn't fair. But you only have one, so one can only try to make the best of it, no matter what hand the universe has dealt you. You got your cards and those just happen to be the hand you're going to have to play life with.

If there is such a thing as "winning at life", then I'ld say that the winners are those people who accept and live with their toolset and make the best of it.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The winner is whoever takes the time to slow down and smell the Roses.